Very Lengthy Check For Update

Woke the computer this morning, to not find the monitor showing anything; rebooted, found that the Malwarebytes tray service again failed to load, so started Malwarebytes, to find that, once again, it had reverted to the free version. Entered license, scanned, found and started mbamtray.exe to put the icon where it belongs. Sigh.

• Staff

Hello RetiredChief,

When you get a chance, restart the machine and if it reverts to Free version again, please do the following:

Can you please attach a copy of the MBAMService.log located in the following folder?
c:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs

In order to locate the file, you'll need to be able to see hidden folders. If you aren't sure how to do that, once I find out what version of Windows this is, I'll be able to guide you.

STEP 2:

I'd also like to get a look at what else is running on this machine and check for possible conflict.

This next scanner will not make any changes to your machine on its own, nor will it divulge any personal information that may compromise your security.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.

**After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.

•Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.

Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.

•Click the Scan button.

•When the scan has finished, it will save 2 logs  in the same directory the tool was run from.  Please attach the following logs:

Addition.txt

FRST.txt 

I certainly hope that you enjoy reading the attached material....

I had reason to reboot a while ago; although Malwarebytes did not revert to the Free version, I am attaching the log file anyway, as it might help. Yesterday, there was a popup for a new version, which did download and install, apparently, judging from the number of files with the date of 18Dec2016. When I rebooted, MB started with, as I recall, Trial  version, the first time I had seen that.

The two other files you requested are also attached.

MBAMSERVICE.LOG

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

• 3 weeks later...

I am still waiting for a reply to this thread, after I uploaded the requested documents. Yes, I still get the Free version from time to time, and no, the MalwareBytes tray service does not load upon reboot;  it is shown as a start-up load item, ignores that entry--which, incidentally,, works properly on my wife's computer.

I think that I may have upset the Malwarebytes tray service: I had to restart the computer twice this morning, and the second time the service loaded automatically as it ought to, which it had not done previously. Given the propensity of inanimate objects to be about as obstinate as animate ones, perhaps the next time I restart the machine, the tray service will revert to its previous malware behavior.

(Please note that I did not write "revert back," a construct that I see entirely too often, given the definition of the word `revert', and the implausibility of reverting forward...).