ta-ta to mabam 3

It had to be done. Although it at first appeared that installing '3 over 2.2.1 and letting whatever digital dust fall where it may was smooth sailing, my 64bit Windows 7 developed the habit of stalling at either reboot or shutdown, to the point where it always involved hitting the power button. In the small course of time between the initial install of '3 it became more and more evident in my preception that the installation of '3 was the main culprit. This was made even more clear when I ran mbam-clean, where there was no lengthy time involved in rebooting; with each and every running of clean my computer shut down and started again as it should have all along.

I had also ran FRST prior to the uninstall of '3 as well as after re-installing it, a process repeated three times---in each instance the reboot worked as it was designed.

The registry has since been scoured of any remaining remnants of mbam. Well, as many as RegSeeker would allow.

Went to Filehippo and downloaded 2.2.1---it has not yet been installed.

But before I do that what I'm unsure of is what to do with the leftover mbam folders and files in Windows Explorer. Should I delete any of what's left of mabm version 3, or shitcan the lot of them before installing 2.2.1?

10 minutes ago, tonguetwister said:

But before I do that what I'm unsure of is what to do with the leftover mbam folders and files in Windows Explorer. Should I delete any of what's left of mabm version 3, or shitcan the lot of them before installing 2.2.1?

If Malwarebytes is not installed on your computer, then you are free to delete all folders that are left behind from version 3 before you reinstall version 2x.

Just an additional note as to the probably cause of the issue with slow startup and shutdown.  Having experienced this myself for sometime during the beta test run for 3.0 and diagnosing it with our own QA team, it was discovered that if Microsoft Security Essentials or the equivalent in Windows 8+ is installed and active (i.e. Windows Defender), then there is a known conflict which causes slower than desired startup and shutdown performance when Malwarebytes 3.0's protection is also active.  It's something currently being investigated and worked on by our team who hope to have it fixed as soon as possible.

So if it is accurate that you do have MSE or WD installed and active on your system where you saw this problem, please keep an eye out for our future releases and changelogs to see when that particular problem has been fixed as you should be able to safely upgrade back to 3.x then without having to worry about this performance issue coming back.

In the meantime, since you've chosen to roll back to 2.x, I would also highly recommend going ahead and also installing the latest beta of Anti-Exploit so that you do not lose that aspect of protection which exists in 3.0 but is not included in 2.x.  The latest beta of Anti-Exploit can be downloaded here.

Just to chime in on the MSE & MBAM conflict, I too had extremely slow startup and shutdown issues on a Win7 64 bit machine. Maxing out the 'Delay Real-Time Protection' to 180 seconds had no effect as well as disabling the exploit protection for browsers. I rolled back to MBAM v2.1.1 using a restore point but as Firefox pointed out v2.1.1 was corrupt so I re-installed v2.1.1 on top of what was left and now my PC is back singing again. I didn't do any registry cleanup however. Looking forward for further update to v3.0.x addressing this issue so I can transfer my lifetime license and get the full protection v3.0 offers.