Notifications Showing When Turned Off

Greetings :) 

jholland1964 is correct, and additionally, specifically with regards to this particular notification and a few others which are more critical for the protection/safety of the system, they will always still be displayed even when notifications are disabled.  This is because, just in case the setting were somehow modified by an infection/malware that slipped past us or a hacker, we still want the user to be notified when they are not fully protected just to ensure that they are aware when there is such a problem.  Just FYI, this is also how it worked in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.x with regards to certain specific notifications and their overriding of the notification display setting.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can assist you with or if there are any further questions or issues with the software that you might have.

So in order to make those notifications go away, we have to prevent the task tray process from loading? 

Forcing notifications is counter-intuitive. If we disabled a notification and we know we've done it because it interferes with a critical website, we shouldn't have the notifications forced upon us. 

4 hours ago, ZPTech said:

So in order to make those notifications go away, we have to prevent the task tray process from loading? 

Forcing notifications is counter-intuitive. If we disabled a notification and we know we've done it because it interferes with a critical website, we shouldn't have the notifications forced upon us. 

Are you referring to Malicious Website Blocking and having the notification still show up when you've disabled it in order to prevent a critical website from being blocked?  If that is the case, then rather than turning it off, I'd highly recommend instead adding that site to exclusions so that the safe site is allowed but any other potentially malicious sites are still blocked.  To do this, open Malwarebytes and go to Settings>Exclusions and click on Add Exclusion.  In the dialog that pops up select Exclude a Website and click Next then in the next page of the dialog type in the domain name, i.e. www.goodwebsite.com and then click OK.

That's just not a realistic expectation. You want to force everyone to use every aspect of a product regardless of what a user wants or needs. 
The end goal of using MBAM is to detect and remove Malware, forcing users to use it in the way you think it should be used is not good design or implementation. 

I've used MBAM for about 10 years. It's great at detecting malware, but it'd be much more useful if it wasn't so intrusive. 

We've designed it to be a set of layers of proactive protection technology to prevent infection from malware, not just to flat out detect malware files.  This is why we have additional modules like Web Protection, Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware to cover all major attack vectors used by malware, not just our standard Malware Protection.

That said, you are free not to use a particular module if you so choose, however we're still going to warn users when they aren't fully protected and I'd expect any antivirus/internet security product to do the same (and in my experience, they all do).  For example, back when I used Kaspersky, if I were to disable any of its individual modules, including their web protection, I'd get an alert status notification and the tray icon would change to reflect that something was amiss and the same is true for ESET which I've used more recently.  The only version of our product specifically focused on detecting malware via signatures is the Free product, which currently only scans for and removes malware and PUPs and includes no realtime protection.

That said, specifically with regards to these particular notifications overriding user settings; it is for the reason I stated earlier.  We don't want a situation to arise where one of our protection layers fails for any reason or is disabled by some threat or hacker and the user to be unaware of it because that user had notifications disabled.

Also bear in mind that there is currently a bug which causes Web Protection to show an alert status that it is turned off when it is in fact not turned off following every database update; an issue which will be fixed in an upcoming release.

Edited by exile360

On 12/16/2016 at 1:11 PM, ZPTech said:

That's just not a realistic expectation. You want to force everyone to use every aspect of a product regardless of what a user wants or needs. 
The end goal of using MBAM is to detect and remove Malware, forcing users to use it in the way you think it should be used is not good design or implementation. 

I've used MBAM for about 10 years. It's great at detecting malware, but it'd be much more useful if it wasn't so intrusive. 

I want to second this notion.  MBAM 2.0XX allowed users to turn off real time protections and not be constantly reminded that the user purposely turned off some protection.  

Like many people I use MBAM as a supplement to my main AV, I find some real time protection modules more useful than others and would like not to be notified every time I turn on my computer that I purposely turned off something in MBAM.  I am not disagreeing with exile360 and that should be default behavior, but it should have a option to turn off the notifications.  I would also note, that most reputable AVs like Panda, AV, and Symantec allow selective turning off modules without bugging users too much, you might get a prompt asking for confirmation and that will be the end of it.  If you turn off everything, then Windows will notify you that don't have any real time protection and that should be good enough. 

On 12/20/2016 at 4:12 AM, Lfei3 said:

I want to second this notion.  MBAM 2.0XX allowed users to turn off real time protections and not be constantly reminded that the user purposely turned off some protection.  

Like many people I use MBAM as a supplement to my main AV, I find some real time protection modules more useful than others and would like not to be notified every time I turn on my computer that I purposely turned off something in MBAM.  I am not disagreeing with exile360 and that should be default behavior, but it should have a option to turn off the notifications.  I would also note, that most reputable AVs like Panda, AV, and Symantec allow selective turning off modules without bugging users too much, you might get a prompt asking for confirmation and that will be the end of it.  If you turn off everything, then Windows will notify you that don't have any real time protection and that should be good enough. 

Actually, in 2.x it would likewise show a notification whenever any component of realtime protection was disabled even if notifications were turned off.  I think the only exception was when the main UI was showing at the time (though at one point it even showed them then before that behavior was changed in a later 2.x release).  That said, there was a bug with 3.0 and notifications from the tray that would occur whenever a database update was downloaded.  That issue has been fixed in version 3.0.5 which was just released so hopefully that helps reduce the number of notifications you guys are seeing.

This is just based on my experience.  I went back to MBAM ver 2x b/c this issue.  There is an option to disable realtime components at windows start.  There will a pop up notification the first time you turn it off like you said.  However there will no more pop up notifications after.  You can turn restart, turn off and then on.  There is no longer a pop up notification tell you that a real time protection module is off.   There will be red icon inside MBAM system icon, but that is all there is to indicate that a realtime protection module is off. 

It may seem to be a small issue, but it becomes an big issue b/c it is persistent and constant, b/c it needlessly forces users who selectively disable a realtime component to manually close the pop up notification every time they turn on their machines. 

• 1 month later...

I have a feeling this is going to be much less of an annoyance to someone malicious than it will be to the average end user. I use windows defender mostly because it does not constantly need attention... HI THERE! I'M SCANNING NOW! I AM KEEPING YOU SAFE! I NEED ATTENTION! I use Malwarebytes because traditionally it didn't require too much attention. That seems to be changing...

It is my understanding that real time protection needs to be off for Defender/MSE to function. If there is no way to run your product and Defender without the popup, I suspect I am not alone when I say that I will have to find an alternative to MB that does not get me constant phone calls about a popup that keeps... popping. This makes my traditional recommendation of your product a bad one. MB is seeming like malware with a popup that can't be disabled.

Edited by trizzay

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/01/2017 at 4:21 PM, trizzay said:

I have a feeling this is going to be much less of an annoyance to someone malicious than it will be to the average end user. I use windows defender mostly because it does not constantly need attention... HI THERE! I'M SCANNING NOW! I AM KEEPING YOU SAFE! I NEED ATTENTION! I use Malwarebytes because traditionally it didn't require too much attention. That seems to be changing...

It is my understanding that real time protection needs to be off for Defender/MSE to function. If there is no way to run your product and Defender without the popup, I suspect I am not alone when I say that I will have to find an alternative to MB that does not get me constant phone calls about a popup that keeps... popping. This makes my traditional recommendation of your product a bad one. MB is seeming like malware with a popup that can't be disabled.

I have to say I run Malwarebytes with 'ransomeware' protection turned off. And I really do want to throw all my toys out my cot when I am watching a movie or similar and that damm notification comes up.

Much like the user i have Quoted this is one of the main reasons I use and recomend MBAM to customers. Constant alerts and warning, especialy false positives does not a happy user make. In my case most of my customers are old, and get freaked out.

Its not like I want to turn off all notifications, but if I turn them off, they should be off. I would also like a diffrent ! mark on my MBAM if a real time layer is turned off by me rather than a red one, as I will ignore that now because its a false positive, because no it does not need my attention.

Thank god I can still get it to run in silent mode for blocking IP's or I would of uninstalled.

I am happy to see Malwarebytes evolve, but I would rather it did not evolve into McAfee or Norton.

thank you for your time. Vent complete.

• 1 month later...