Stuck in "Checking for Updates" Stage

Greetings and welcome :)

This is a known issue which should now be resolved.  Please restart the computer to see if that fixes it.  If not, then you may need to uninstall/reinstall the software.  If you do need to reinstall, I'd recommend first exiting Malwarebytes via the tray right-click option, deleting the C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes folder (note: this will unfortunately also remove any logs, quarantined items and customized settings), then reinstall the software.  This occurred because of a broken configuration file.  We have since corrected it, however when the broken configuration file still exists on the system, the software cannot download the current/corrected configuration file because the file itself is what the program uses to check for updates (the server info etc.), so when it is broken/corrupted, it cannot access the update servers to download the new/corrected configuration file.

I was having related problems and the resolution above seems to have fixed it.   (Case #1164713)

Among other things - MW 3 was not scanning from the schedule.   From the log view - no scheduled scans were being performed at all.

Today - when I checked it - I noticed the scheduled scan was stuck in checking for updates and had been so for 15 hrs 5 minutes with tracks be to when the scheduled can should have started.   See screen shot.

Other issues I was (may still be) having: 

MW failing to start on reboot.   

(Still Having since first install on 12/13/2016)

Shutdown taking a long long time.

Restarts slow

Anyway - glad to see some progress.

Jim H

Scan_UpdateStuck.png

• Staff

Hi Jim,

I'm glad that worked for you. I replied to your ticket on the HelpDesk, and we can close that out and work in here for the rest of the issues you've described as it will be easier to reqad here, than via email. :)

I'd like to begin by getting a look at what else is running on this machine and check for possible conflict.

This next scanner will not make any changes to your machine on its own, nor will it divulge any personal information that may compromise your security.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.

**After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.

•Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.

Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.

•Click the Scan button.

•When the scan has finished, it will save 2 logs  in the same directory the tool was run from.  Please attach the following logs:

Addition.txt

FRST.txt 

Next:

1. Enable Event Log Data under Settings > Application tab.
  2. Run a threat scan.
  3. See if you reproduce the scan hang.

Then please attach the MBAMSERVICE.log and any MBAMSERIVCE.log.bk files that are in the folder: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs

This will give us more detailed logging about what is happening during the scan.

Edited by Ried
added info needed by QA