When I started my Windows 10 PC in Safe Mode. I started up Malwarebytes, it didn't auto start either. It reverted to the free version of Malwarebytes 3.0! Before it was Malwarebytes Premium 3.0.4!

What is the problem with this program? Anyways, I did a scan with the free version in Safe Mode since it reverted from premium to free while launching in Safe Mode. Then I restarted my machine, and it did revert back to the premium version. However the program was still the 3.0 version while I had the latest version 3.0.4 before I did the Safe Mode scan with Malwarebytes. I tried to install updates for Malwarebytes VIA GUI than it didn't even install correctly.

I had to uninstall the 3.0 version of Malwarebytes. Download a fresh copy from malwarebytes.com and reenter my Premium ID and Serial. What is going on? I never had a problem like this in 2.0.

It is really bad since you reccommend people to do a scan in safe mode in Windows PC's. Please fix these issues, it is awfully weird and inconvenient. I don't have log files of any of the events. Since I had to reinstall the program since it downgraded itself from 3.0.4 to 3.0 for some reason in safe mode.

Why is this happening?

Sebastian

Hi biomembrain--

We've actually been able to reproduce this issue in house as well and we understand what's happening and are working on a fix.  

It's more of a cosmetic issue, as just the versioning that shows as "3.0.0" is incorrect -- the actual product installed hasn't changed.  So once you're out of safe mode and the product checks in to the upgrade server again, it will pull down the latest version and prompt you to install.

I know this is an inconvenience, so we're working on getting this fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks,

2 hours ago, bdubrow said:

Hi biomembrain--

We've actually been able to reproduce this issue in house as well and we understand what's happening and are working on a fix.  

It's more of a cosmetic issue, as just the versioning that shows as "3.0.0" is incorrect -- the actual product installed hasn't changed.  So once you're out of safe mode and the product checks in to the upgrade server again, it will pull down the latest version and prompt you to install.

I know this is an inconvenience, so we're working on getting this fixed as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Thanks for letting me know. Sounds good.

Thanks you for your hard work and your very nice response.

Sebastian.

3 hours ago, bdubrow said:

Hi biomembrain--

Thanks,

Ahhh, that would explain my issues last week.  I reinstalled my OS for a couple of reasons, this being one of them (it wasn't in Safe Mode, however, it was in a normal login where explorer.ese had gone crazy on me, and every reboot after that showed the same thing).

Looking forward to a fix :)

What a pain this program !

I wanted to install a program in safe mode (Nothing to do with MBAM : "WebAdvisor" from Intel) and what was the surprise after the reboot : MBAM in an older version and in an other langage that mine (French)...After some minutes, a button came : "update to new version" (or something like that). Of course, I clicked....and nothing happened...I waited...re-did..but always nothing happened...

Finaly, had to re-install the stuff...

Fortunately, at the house, we have two computers, and this stuff was installed only on one. The other keeping version 2.

21 hours ago, bdubrow said:

Hi biomembrain--

Thanks,

If the product itself hasn't changed, why would it pull the the same version as is installed and prompt us to install again?  And if we are ever put into that situation, do we need to run the update that is not an update to make MB3 satisfied that it is, in fact, running hte correct version?

1 minute ago, John L. Galt said:

If the product itself hasn't changed, why would it pull the the same version as is installed and prompt us to install again?  And if we are ever put into that situation, do we need to run the update that is not an update to make MB3 satisfied that it is, in fact, running hte correct version?

This is the "inconvenience" I referred to earlier in the thread, unfortunately.

Basically, our current updater relies on the versioning it sees to check in and determine if you're running the latest.  So even though the actual product hasn't changed, the version number got "reset" so it thinks it's something different.

So yes, an "update that is not an update" is required and will get everything back in order again.

Interesting.  I think there is another way to trigger this event, then, because I clean installed my host OS last week after the same thing happened to me, but I never entered Safe Mode.

I thought the product was hosed, and I had an unaccountable loss of storage spade on one of my drives, so I was erring on the side of caution when I reinstalled everything.  As noted in my first reply in this thread, explorer.exe had creashed in some way, but I am not sure what caused it. 

I do have a VM set up to test MB3 for other reasons, and thus I will see if I can break MB3 without going into Safe Mode and report back. 

At least this time I will know it is a minor inconvenience and not have to reisntall everything :P

Edited by John L. Galt

2 minutes ago, John L. Galt said:

Interesting.  I think there is another way to trigger this event, then, because I clean installed my host OS last week after the same thing happened to me, but I never entered Safe Mode.

I thought the product was hosed, and I had an unaccountable loss of storage spade on one of my drives, so I was erring on the side of caution when I reinstalled everything.  As noted in my first reply in this thread, explorer.exe had creashed in some way, but I am not sure what caused it. 

I do have a VM set up to test MB3 for other reasons, and thus I will see if I can break MB3 without going into Safe Mode and report back. 

At least this time I will know it is a minor inconvenience and not have to reisntall everything :P

That is awesome to hear. I think a lot of these problems should be solved in weekly increments rather than big updates.

I also think that Malwarebytes should take about half them ram. It uses 360mb max. That is a lot of ram compared to a traditional antivirus programs. Just think about a computer with just 4GB. Is this a good program for computers with 4gb or less. I think not. I have 12gb of ram and I use most of my ram in video editing. 360mb and CPU fluctuations that slows rendering done is not good. For power users and low tech computers these issues need to be improved.

4 minutes ago, Acrobaze said:

Hummm....I don't know how anyone who booted in safe mode could ignore that pain. :D

What I meant is that @bdubrow had already posted about it and the fix above your post. 

Did you try clicking the button while still in safe mode?  That may have been the reason it did not fix itself....

Edited by John L. Galt

Sorry - what I meant is that according to hte information by @bdubrow, just allowing it to upgrade itself should fix the reversion to 3.0 build.  However, if you do so in Safe Mode, I was wondering if that was why it did not work for you.

If you tried ti in normal boot and it did not upgrade, then that is a problem in and of itself, ecause it means that what @bdubrow wrote above about simply allowing it to upgrade to fix itself does not work correctly.

19 hours ago, John L. Galt said:

Sorry - what I meant is that according to hte information by @bdubrow, just allowing it to upgrade itself should fix the reversion to 3.0 build.  However, if you do so in Safe Mode, I was wondering if that was why it did not work for you.

If you tried ti in normal boot and it did not upgrade, then that is a problem in and of itself, ecause it means that what @bdubrow wrote above about simply allowing it to upgrade to fix itself does not work correctly.

What exactly happened :

- Rebooted in safe mode to make my stuff and made it.

- Then rebooted in normal mode.

- Then, only to see, as I posted in this forum, I opened MB3...just to make sure that everything was ok, update etc...

- What a surprise ! MB3.0.0 in English (I'm French), saying that it's an old version....Hopefully, a button "Update latest version" was there. Of course clicked....but nothing happened....many times...

- And more : It was a free version and I had to enter my Premium code....

- Finally, I over installed the actual version exe file.

Never experienced such a pain.

On 12/16/2016 at 7:55 AM, Acrobaze said:

What exactly happened :

- Rebooted in safe mode to make my stuff and made it.

- Then rebooted in normal mode.

- Then, only to see, as I posted in this forum, I opened MB3...just to make sure that everything was ok, update etc...

- What a surprise ! MB3.0.0 in English (I'm French), saying that it's an old version....Hopefully, a button "Update latest version" was there. Of course clicked....but nothing happened....many times...

- And more : It was a free version and I had to enter my Premium code....

- Finally, I over installed the actual version exe file.

Never experienced such a pain.

@bdubrow - SO what to do in this situation?