Malwarebytes 3.0 and Chameleon

I've installed version 3.0.4 of Malwarebytes Premium after first uninstalling my old version 2.0 and it seem seems to be performing well and coexisting peacefully with Avast Free Antivirus. It's great to have Anti Exploit and Anti Ransomware included in the package but the Chameleon tool does not now appear to be available. Is this no longer available or no longer needed?

Thanks for a great piece of software - if it does indeed eventually allow me to do without additional AV, that will be wonderful - but I'll stick with Avast as well for the moment...................

Iain

Thanks for that - I thought perhaps Chameleon was hidden away somewhere.

I decided to uninstall Avast and try running with MSE instead in order to avoid Avast's intrusive pop ups - especially as Malwarebytes Premium now claims to fill the roles of both antivirus and antimalware. This lead to problems on startup when Malwarebytes would report that Real Time Protection was turned off, the occasional freeze, and shutdown times of around 5 minutes. Following advice in another thread (to which I can't find the link just now), I turned off Real Time Protection in MSE and that eliminated the errors. When I return to my laptop, I'll try configuring MSE as suggested in the same thread and see if that allows it to play nicely enough to allow real time protection - although perhaps that's not needed in MSE if Malwarebytes is also installed?

• Staff

Exactly - and good research on your part. :)   MSE in Windows 7 is causing a problem and personally, I uninstalled MSE on my Win 7 laptop. I'm trusting Malwarebytes to cover it all.  I can say that in the 5 years I had MSE, it has never once found anything.

So you don't have to go fishing for how to configure MSE, I'll post it here for you:

Add these files to your MSE Excluded Processes:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe

Thanks, Ried, I put those files into MSE and everything runs smoothly except for an unacceptably long shutdown time - so I've switched off Real Time Protection again and just let MSE run a weekly scan as a bit of extra security in addition to the protection provided by Malwarebytes. 

I've got to say that I agree with your overall approach. I've been messing around with computers since the days of the ZX81 and can only remember ever succumbing to one true virus infection on Windows 95, I think, that arrived on a floppy from a computer magazine! Despite that, I sit behind a pretty secure router, back up my registry every day, use Casper 10 to make regular alternating bootable disk copies to 2 hard drives in USB enclosures which are only connected to my computer when I perform the backup operations. And I back up my really vital files to DVD on a regular basis. But I'm a bit belt and braces! 

Thanks again for your help your help,

Iain

• Staff

I'm old school myself and do all that you mentioned, although I use Macrium for my backups. :D   If more people were aware of the need for such 'belt and braces' procedures that seem to be essential to survive in today's internet world, we wouldn't have so many people in dire straights when the 'unthinkable' does happen. :(

On 12/13/2016 at 4:54 AM, TempLost said:

I've installed version 3.0.4 of Malwarebytes Premium after first uninstalling my old version 2.0 and it seem seems to be performing well and coexisting peacefully with Avast Free Antivirus. It's great to have Anti Exploit and Anti Ransomware included in the package but the Chameleon tool does not now appear to be available. Is this no longer available or no longer needed?

Thanks for a great piece of software - if it does indeed eventually allow me to do without additional AV, that will be wonderful - but I'll stick with Avast as well for the moment...................

Iain

Greetings :) 

I just wanted to provide some additional information regarding Chameleon in Malwarebytes 3.0.  I checked with the Product Manager and she informed me that while 3.0 does not currently include Chameleon and the standalone version still downloads/installs MBAM version 2.1, we will be developing a 3.x compatible version of Chameleon and Malwarebytes 3.x will eventually include Chameleon with its installation just as current 2.x versions of MBAM do.

I hope that clears things up.