Protection modules stuck at "starting"

So I've been noticing some issues with the protection modules. On my desktop it's the Randomsware protection. MBAM would start with it off and display a notification about that. If I tried to turn it on manually it would be stuck on "starting." Restarting fixed the issue but It still occasionally comes back per startup. On my laptop I have the same issue but with the Malware protection module. My laptop has been freshly reformatted. Again a restart fixes the issue but the problem is that sometimes when MBAM starts up, the protection modules get stuck and don't load.

• Staff

Please add these files to Bitdefender exclusions list

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe

Restart the computer and let me know if that made any difference

Hi 

I have the same problem i.e malware protection warns it is off and actually is off (never gets beyond starting in the protection tab). The exploit protection didn't start either but for some reason has started working. I also have Bitdefender 2017 and have added all the exclusions above but malware protection will still not work. What is also interesting is that if I try and do a threat (or any of the other scans) it scans 0 items and in the scan log says scan result cancelled. There is something very strange going on, have tried installing and using with Bitdefender switched off and still doesn't work so am not sure it is even Bitdefender causing the problem. I have Win 7 with all the Windows updates installed. I emailed support with various logs they asked for but have not had a solution back yet. Any help would be much appreciated, many thanks.

17 hours ago, Ried said:

Please add these files to Bitdefender exclusions list

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe

Restart the computer and let me know if that made any difference

Added the exclusions and yes it's working right now but I don't know if it solved anything since it was random whether or not it would work at startup. I forgot to mention that my desktop is actually Bitdefender 2016 while the Laptop is 2017

• Staff

Okay, thanks for the clarification.  If it continues to get stuck at 'Starting..', try delaying Malwarebytes startup for 15 seconds. 

Launch Malwarebytes and click Settings > Protection

Scroll down to 'Startup Option's and toggle the 'Delay Real-Time Protection when Malwarebytes starts.

Let me know if that helps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 13/12/2016 at 7:32 PM, Ried said:

Okay, thanks for the clarification.  If it continues to get stuck at 'Starting..', try delaying Malwarebytes startup for 15 seconds. 

Launch Malwarebytes and click Settings > Protection

Scroll down to 'Startup Option's and toggle the 'Delay Real-Time Protection when Malwarebytes starts.

Let me know if that helps

Greetings everyone.

I rarely post here, more read through for information, but just wanted to say that the advice offered by Ried worked for me this morning.

I had the same issue with the Exploit Protection showing as being turned off.  When I tried to turn this on through the Settings > Protection screen, it just sat on "starting".  I left it there for about 2 hours to see if it need to install something, but it never progressed beyond that.  The 15 second delay option worked a treat and I've restarted the laptop a few times since altering the settings and so far all is working as it should.

Many thanks for posting that Ried.  I certainly appreciate it! :)

Best regards

7 minutes ago, Ried said:

You're welcome. ^_^

May I ask which Anti Virus you have installed?

I have the usual Windows Defender (Windows 10 user and all updated etc) plus Housecall which is one of those on-demand programs.  Takes a while to scan but very thorough.  

I first thought that it was a Windows 10 update that had caused the problem as mine went through quite a large update last night, but evidently not.  But it is well known for creating issues with routers and the like.  

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Ried said:

Thanks.  Also, make sure you have the most recent Component Package Version

Open Malwarebytes and click Settings > About tab

The Component Package version should be at least 1.0.96

1.0.103 is what I have at the moment.  I do believe my options have the program on automatic update, unless the Component Package has to be updated manually?