Mystery...

Mystery...

One Windows 10 Pro computer running Malwarebytes Anti-malware 2.2.1.1043 Free
One Windows 7 Pro computer running Malwarebytes Anti-malware 2.2.1.1043 Premium
Both the above running Malwarebytes AntiExploit Free
Both upgraded to Malwarebytes 3.0.4.1269. Took a bit of fiddling around and a few reboots to get the Exploit protection working properly, but ultimately successful.

Two Windows 7 Pro computers running Malwarebytes Anti-malware 2.2.1.1043 Premium and Anti-exploit Free. The installation was successful but no matter what I do I can't stop the icon saying 'Protection disabled', although the actual program settings show all protections active.

In all cases the troublesome module is Exploit protection. On the two computers where the installation was untimately successful, mbae-test.exe produces the desired results. On the two computers where the icon says 'Protection disabled' but the program settings show Exploit protection to be active, mbae-test.exe happily launches Calculator. I have to assume that the icon message is right and the program settings showing that Exploit protection is active, is wrong.

What to do?

• Staff

Hello Pat_inUK,

I suspect that the service for MBAE is still pointing to the old location of the file.

This next scanner will not make any changes to your machine on its own, nor will it divulge any personal information that may compromise your security.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.

**After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.

•Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.

Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.

•Click the Scan button.

•When the scan has finished, it will save 2 logs  in the same directory the tool was run from.  Please attach the following logs:

Addition.txt

FRST.txt 

• Staff

That was perfect, thank you. 

It is possible for the protection to be active, even when the test fails. I am seeing an issue with the testing portion and I have to wonder if Avast interfered with the installations.

Uninstall 3.0.4 on both machines that are having this problem. Reboot, then turn off Avast while you reinstall.

Let me know how that worked out for you.

Batteries recharged after a night's sleep, on one computer I uninstalled Malwarebytes, rebooted, reinstalled. Still a problem with Exploit protection but a couple of reboots later all was well, and has survived through several subsequent reboots.

The other computer, my main workhorse absolutely essential one, I couldn't turn Malwarebytes off, I couldn't uninstall it. I came to the conclusion it was because Exploit protection was stuck on Starting.... but getting nowhere. Forced a reboot. Successfully uninstalled Malwarebytes, or so I thought, albeit with a flash of an error message. Rebooted. Aarrgh! C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware and all contents still present. Manually deleted the folder. Rebooted. At last! Reinstall was flawless and also survives through several reboots.

Goodness knows what caused all of this, Avast was 'Disabled permanently' throughout.

But thank you so much for your advice, it worked even if with a few hiccups.

Best of all, mbae-test.exe now works as it should on both computers. This makes me very happy :)