How to remove Malwarebytes 3.0 from WIndows 10 laptop

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The easiest way would be to go to Programs and Features and use the uninstaller.
    1. You can enter Programs and Features by right clicking the start button and selecting Programs and Features from the top of the menu.
  2. In Windows 10, if you open your start menu, at the far left you should see an icon that will show all your installed programs.  Clicking on that will then show your list of programs.  Find Malwarebytes, and you should see an item to uninstall it.
    MB 3 Uninstall.PNG
  3. Last but not least you can also navigate to the location where MB3 is installed, (usually C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes) and run the uninstaller manually.

On 12/12/2016 at 1:03 PM, Aura said:

Hi BoomBoomMcNasty :)

You can remove Malwarebytes 3.0 like any other program on Windows. Simply go in the Control Panel, click on Uninstall a program under Programs and Features and simply uninstall Malwarebytes 3.0.

Aura-Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure if MBAM 3.0 was going to require the same kind attention that 2.x required. I'm talking about needing to use MBAM-Clean.exe for MBAM 2.x removal.

On 12/12/2016 at 1:04 PM, John L. Galt said:
  1. The easiest way would be to go to Programs and Features and use the uninstaller.
    1. You can enter Programs and Features by right clicking the start button and selecting Programs and Features from the top of the menu.
  2. In Windows 10, if you open your start menu, at the far left you should see an icon that will show all your installed programs.  Clicking on that will then show your list of programs.  Find Malwarebytes, and you should see an item to uninstall it.
    MB 3 Uninstall.PNG
  3. Last but not least you can also navigate to the location where MB3 is installed, (usually C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes) and run the uninstaller manually.

John L. Galt - Thank you for your instructions, it is greatly appreciated.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:03 PM, Aura said:

Hi BoomBoomMcNasty :)

You can remove Malwarebytes 3.0 like any other program on Windows. Simply go in the Control Panel, click on Uninstall a program under Programs and Features and simply uninstall Malwarebytes 3.0.

That does not remove the complete program

11 minutes ago, MikeW said:

That does not remove the complete program

Correct. Not only does it leave a folder full of files, it leaves a service installed too. And attempting to manually delete that folder fails too. But mbam-clean.exe was able to finish what the Control Panel applet couldn't.

IMO, the fact, MB3.0 fails to totally uninstall via the Control Panel Applet is just another indication MB3.0 was rushed out the door by management prematurely to get out there before the holidays. :( 

Uninstalled MB3 Premium. 

• Before reboot:
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes directory is completley removed.
    • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes directory is completley removed.
    • MBAM Service is removed.

I didn't even have to reboot.  This was from the Control Panel --> Programs and Features uninstall. 

Windows 10 Pro x64 Insider Preview build 14986 - MB3 Premium - No self protection - just default MB settings.

Of course John's steps assumes the user installed MB3 in the default locations. Many users install to a secondary drive, or like me into a different folder on the boot drive. Of course, that should never make any difference as the uninstall routines should easily determine where MB3 was installed and remove the applicable files, folders and Registry entries.

2 hours ago, Digerati said:

Of course John's steps assumes the user installed MB3 in the default locations. Many users install to a secondary drive, or like me into a different folder on the boot drive. Of course, that should never make any difference as the uninstall routines should easily determine where MB3 was installed and remove the applicable files, folders and Registry entries.

I would not say many people do, but if you want to list the ways that you customized your install process, I'll be happy to recreate it so that I can obtain the correct info regarding what is left over.

Edited by John L. Galt
Fixed typographical error

I would nto say many people do

It is "many". That does not suggest "most", but there are "many" users with two or more drives (often these days a small SSD and a larger HD) who install their OS on C and everything else on D or elsewhere. There are also "many" who divide a large single drive into separate partitions and then install their programs into one of those other partitions.

It is not necessary for you recreate any steps. Anyone who knows how to install into an alternate location should already know how to find those locations using File Explorer (Windows Explorer in previous versions of Windows).

But AGAIN - that should NEVER make any difference. ANY PROGRAM that provides a "custom" install option allowing users to install in alternate locations MUST already be competently coded to thoroughly clean up after itself from those alternate locations. That includes shortcuts in the Start menu and from any toolbar or taskbar put there during the install too - even if installed in the Start menu in some location other than the default - again, as I do to avoid cluttered chaos. 

For example, I have a subfolder on my drive and in my Start menu called "Security Stuff" and all my security programs and start menu shortcuts for those security programs go under those locations. I know many people and even entire organizations who set their systems up in similar fashions.  

Let's not forget there are over 1.5 Billion Windows machines out there. A mere 1% is still 15 million. That is "many" people.

2 hours ago, Ried said:

Thank you, John. Appreciate your time. :) 

I get the same results on Win 10 x64 standard build 1607, and on my Win 7 x64.

Are you seeing the ESProtectionDriver left over at all in your HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services ?

Just checked, and again, with default install options, as soonas I removed the product without a reboot, looking in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services does not show that service at all.

MB3 Uninstall services.PNG

9 minutes ago, Digerati said:

It is "many". That does not suggest "most", but there are "many" users with two or more drives (often these days a small SSD and a larger HD) who install their OS on C and everything else on D or elsewhere. There are also "many" who divide a large single drive into separate partitions and then install their programs into one of those other partitions.

It is not necessary for you recreate any steps. Anyone who knows how to install into an alternate location should already know how to find those locations using File Explorer (Windows Explorer in previous versions of Windows).

But AGAIN - that should NEVER make any difference. ANY PROGRAM that provides a "custom" install option allowing users to install in alternate locations MUST already be competently coded to thoroughly clean up after itself from those alternate locations. That includes shortcuts in the Start menu and from any toolbar or taskbar put there during the install too - even if installed in the Start menu in some location other than the default - again, as I do to avoid cluttered chaos. 

For example, I have a subfolder on my drive and in my Start menu called "Security Stuff" and all my security programs and start menu shortcuts for those security programs go under those locations. I know many people and even entire organizations who set their systems up in similar fashions.  

Let's not forget there are over 1.5 Billion Windows machines out there. A mere 1% is still 15 million. That is "many" people.

If you want to continue to argue with me, I can point out that 1.5 billion computers do not have MB 3 installed.  I could also point out that what corporations do with their machines is irrelevant because this is a consumer product. 

As for not necessary to recreate the steps, that is your choice.  You were very concise with listing all the issues that you encountered, but this is the first mention that you have of having it installed in a non default location.

I do not plan on responding to anymore of your posts, because I am a user here, not staff, not paid by anyone, just volunteering my time to help make the product better instead of standing on the sidelines armchair quaterbacking everything, and I'd appreciate it if you did the same with me.

Edited by John L. Galt

I had the very slow shutdown, fairly slowed down boot, and occasional protection error.  I have another issue that requires reboot once or so a day, so.....I uninstalled 3.0 from Win7 64 using control panel and can confirm:

Leftovers before and after rebooting in Program Data.

Registry entries under wow6432 (4) and Program Files directory were removed

A new registry entry not found before uninstall (maybe I missed it with the search) was in root\local setting\...\muicache\....\download\ mb3-setup-consumer-3.04...exe (record of it being in download directory which it is).

So the uninstall was pretty thorough.  Shutdown returned to normal, and boot up appears quick.

Thx for the support, and I will wait with ver 2 till this gets sorted out.

Leftovers.JPG