Viscissitudes of installing MBAM3 with Windows 7 64-bit

I have attempted to install MBAM3 over the old MBAM2 (Free), MBARW and MBAE (Premium) on two Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit systems. One succeeded, one did not. On the one which did succeed, I found that immediately after installation that trying to start MBAM3 from the desktop caused the system to hang so I had to switch the power off. On restarting, MBAM3 sprang to life. I was able to customise the settings to my liking and run a threat scan. On completion of this, MbamService.exe tripped Agnitum Outpost's Firewall Pro 9.3 System Guard following which I set Outpost to 'allow' MbamService.exe to modify all categories covered by System Guard except for 'Dangerous Activity'. I have no qualms about allowing MBAM3 such trust. This appears to have done the trick and Outpost no longer wakes up when its cage is rattled.

The other Windows 7 system on which I attempted to install, no amount of restarting of the system would allow the system (or MBAM3) to run so I needed recourse to System Restore.  What a pity that the MBAM3 installation procedure does not do a System Save before doing the actual install. I don't expect that Outpost Firewall Pro 9.3 is the problem since no Outpost alerts have been generated.

I have used Outpost for many years

On the strength of my admittedly brief observations, I am sceptical that MBAM3 is completely ready for general release. I certainly would be anxious to hear the telephone ring right now in the anticipation that my wife's two sisters (my wife is NOT called Marge) might be in trouble with a failed MBAM3 installation over the existing MBAM2, MBARW and MBAE (Premium) installations.

Are there any MBAM3 system diagnostics report generators available to enable data to be submitted to Malwarebytes?

Edited by hake

I too had a lifetime license to Outpost which got changed to yearly at Kaspersky because "Outpost Firewall Pro was a software-based personal firewall package developed by Agnitum (founded in 1999 in St. Petersburg, Russia). This product is no longer available. Both the freeware and paid versions were terminated December 2015. Agnitum was acquired by Yandex for the exclusive use as an internal part of Yandex Browser. Updates and support have been terminated effective December 2016. Outpost Security Suite was also terminated at the same time. A visit to the Agnitum website[2] or the Outpost Community Support website unofficial Outpost users forum states "Agnitum terminates direct and partner sales of the Outpost product line". see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outpost_Firewall_Pro and http://www.agnitum.com/index.php.

I suggest that you find another firewall/av product to use and read this forum post for report generators https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/146024-assistance-obtaining-computer-system-information/ 

• Staff

Along with the great info mrtee provided I would like to add that on some Windows 7 64-bit machines, if MSE is installed it just locks up the system.

Adding the following files to MSE Excluded Processes works for most people.

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe

On my Win 7 laptop, I found that turning off MSE Real Time Protection worked the best and since MSE has never found anything on my laptop, I have no qualms about turning it Off and even uninstalling it.  I'll let Malwarebytes cover me.

Edited by Ried

MSE is not and has never been installed. Windows Defender is installed but 'turned off'. The AV is Avast 12.3.2280 Free.

I have found a PUM peculiarity. One PUM has been found during the threat scan and I elect to 'ignore it always'. At the next threat scan, it is listed again. This works properly in MBAM2.

Apart from that MBAM3 works great on one of the Windows 7 systems, notwithstanding Outpost Firewall Pro and Avast.

I know what is installed on the two Windows 7 systems since I installed each.

Is Avast redundant with MBAM3 Premium installed and working in real-time? Knowing Pedro's recent history, should I expect Panda Security to be a problem? :)

Edited by hake

The evidence is that MBAM3 and Outpost Firewall have significant incompatibilities. Remove Outpost and MBAM3 behaves as one would hope. In my particular case, I am sticking with Outpost as I value its capabilities to enable such things as DNS protection. I am looking for another firewall though. It seems obvious that the cessation of the development of Outpost means that it will never be tweaked to accommodate MBAM3 and subsequent versions.