Every time I reboot, I have to reinstall it?

After every reboot my system tray looks like Capture.jpg

And when I double click that icon I get capture2.jpg

If I reinstall the program, it then works fine - until I next reboot.

I previously had MBAM Premium 2 and the free version of Anti Exploit.  I installed Premium 3 into the same folder that had contained MBAM 2.  I have since uninstalled 3 so that folder no longer exists and reinstalled it so there were no traces of 2 in the same place.  It's NOT installed into the default location and whilst there are no longer files related to 2 where it is installed - there might be in user/all_user data folders or the registry I guess.

Using Windows 10 Pro x64 14393.479.  I'm also running Emsisoft Anti-malware 12.1.0.6970.  Both programs are configured to exclude the others folder.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

MBAMSERVICE.zip

• Staff

Hello targetbsp,

I'd like to gather more information about what's running and perhaps left over on this machine.

This next scanner will not make any changes to your machine on its own, nor will it divulge any personal information that may compromise your security.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.

**After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.

•Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.

Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.

•Click the Scan button.

•When the scan has finished, it will save 2 logs  in the same directory the tool was run from.  Please attach the following logs:

Addition.txt

FRST.txt 

• Staff

You're welcome, and thanks for your patience. :)

What I'd like you to do is uninstall 3.0.4 again via the Control Panel > Programs and features > Uninstall a program.

Reboot.

Open Emsisoft Anti malware and add these files, or if you can, the entire C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes folder to its Exclusion list:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
 C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe

Now try again to install 3.0.4, reboot the machine and let me know if the issue persists

Hi, I already had the mbam folder excluded in Emsisoft.

I next tried installing it into a different sub folder of the same parent folder (which was not prog files) - still no luck.

I finally tried installing it into it's default folder and now it's working!  So despite giving you the choice during setup, on my PC at least, it only works if you install it into its default location of program Files.

2 minutes ago, Ried said:

That would have been helpful to know beforehand. :)

What path did you originally try to install it to?

This is why in the original post it says " It's NOT installed into the default location" ;)

It was installed into c:\winapps\mbam

My second attempt was c:\winapps\malwareb

Ah I see, sorry. :)

This is some throwback to the old days of Windows 9x when you'd need to reinstall the OS often.  This was so I could deltree Windows and Prog Files to be sure to lose all the MS stuff for a clean install whilst keeping all the third party stuff seperate as most of it (not Av software admittedly!) works perfectly well if you just run it again on a different copy of windows.

I don't think I've reinstalled since 7 though.  Upgrade to 8, 8.1, all versions of 10.  So the need for this is kind of long gone I guess!  I really need to get over my insistence on 8.3 dos compatible folder naming too. :D 

Edited by targetbsp