Ransomware Protection unavailable in Malewarbytes 3.0 for XP

• 2 months later...

WHY? Of course since I got hit last night, and got over 45,000 files encrypted! Really?? And MWB did nothing! Once I started a scan it took over an hour (in safe mode) to find the programs doing it. I shut it down at first, and pulled all my other drives(took less than a minute), then did the scan. I do updates daily, and scans daily. I always keep MWB's on. This should look familiar... ARJ_BEQRE-GEHR_SNVGU_BEVT.ZC3.[R_SP@INDIA.COM].ID[FEFBB2F64035A874].CRYPTOSHIELD.

So, WHY only win7+??

• Staff

Hi Sparky_2020--

I understand that not having access to our anti-ransomware protection on XP is frustrating, but new features and technology such as this will only be supported going forward to the best of our ability.  XP, and even Vista, just have too many technical limitations to make it feasible in all cases.  For example, we may need to use certain driver tools that only work in later operating systems.  To try and find work-arounds for older systems (that aren't even supported by Microsoft any longer) is usually either very, very time consuming or next to impossible even if we had unlimited resources.

You can read some additional info in this article.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello @jskamm:

Reference: System Requirements and OS support for Malwarebytes 3.0

Unfortunately, the Consumer/Home edition of Malwarebytes 3.0 does not support any Microsoft Server including Microsoft's Windows Server 2008 R2.  You may wish to contact a business product representative through the Malwarebytes' business unit at their URL: https://www.malwarebytes.com/business/

Thank you.

• 6 months later...
On 3/2/2017 at 10:48 AM, bdubrow said:

{late comer here :))

I can understand Malwarebytes coders avoiding having to support XP due to it's age (even if the XP kernel itself can still receive updates)... but considering the first wave of ransomeware targeted xp users, I still find it ironic that XP is not supported.

Hi Sparky_2020--

I understand that not having access to our anti-ransomware protection on XP is frustrating, but new features and technology such as this will only be supported going forward to the best of our ability.  XP, and even Vista, just have too many technical limitations to make it feasible in all cases.  For example, we may need to use certain driver tools that only work in later operating systems.  To try and find work-arounds for older systems (that aren't even supported by Microsoft any longer) is usually either very, very time consuming or next to impossible even if we had unlimited resources.

You can read some additional info in this article.