Pierre771

Malwarebytes 3.0 install fails

Hello

after language choice, I have an error cf screenshot in attachment

Can you help me please, thks

Malwarebytes-3.0-install.JPG

Hi Pierre :)

Do you have any other Malwarebytes products installed? Also, what Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall and other security products do you have installed on your system?

2 hours ago, Aura said:

Hi Pierre :)

Do you have any other Malwarebytes products installed? Also, what Antivirus, Antimalware, Firewall and other security products do you have installed on your system?

Hi Aura

Yes  currently I have Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043. I thought it would be automatically uninstalled by the new install

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus 2017. Windows firewall (Windows 10)

Try to uninstall Malwarebytes 2.2.1 first (remove your licence if you have the Premium version before doing so), then try to install Malwarebytes 3.0. If it doesn't work, disable Bitdefender temporarily and try to install it again.

Pierre,

We have found in most of these cases that MBAM 2.2 has left stray characters in a file named exclusions.dat that causes the MB3 installer to throw that error (and quit).

That bug will be fixed in the next update.

In the meantime, there are a couple of work-arounds you can try. Either of these should work.

1. From the MBAM 2.2 console, add any file to the exclusion list. Then retry the upgrade. If the upgrade was successful, remove that file from the MB3 exclusions.
  2. Removing the bad characters from exclusions.dat:
    1. Shut down MBAM 2.2 completely (right-click on the tray icon and select 'quit')
    2. Locate exclusions.dat file in C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    3. Open it in a text editor and clean out all characters (i.e. make it a zero-byte file), then save the file.
    4. Retry the upgrade.

Please let me know how this works.

Edited by markwpatton
To add steps that Malwarebytes needed to be shut down before trying #2

9 hours ago, markwpatton said:

Pierre,

We have found in most of these cases that MBAM 2.2 has left stray characters in a file named exclusions.dat that causes the MB3 installer to throw that error (and quit).

That bug will be fixed in the next update.

In the meantime...

Hello Mark

Thks a lot, il worked perfectly

The program must be closed to modify exclusions.dat

A bug : the system asks for authorization when you try to close the program, even if real time protection is desactivated

That is as it should be. Any protective program will ask you to confirm if you really want to exit it or close it, just to be sure it is an action initiated by you and not by some infection trying to shut off your protective program. Even if real time protection is off, the scanner can still be used - and you're attempting to shut off or Exit the entire program

Edited by Ried

8 minutes ago, Ried said:

That is as it should be. Any protective program will ask you to confirm if you really want to exit it or close it, just to be sure it is an action initiated by you and not by some infection trying to shut off your protective program. Even if real time protection is off, the scanner can still be used - and you're attempting to shut off or Exit the entire program

OK, thks

This one worked on my wife's computer:  From the MBAM 2.2 console, add any file to the exclusion list. Then retry the upgrade. If the upgrade was successful, remove that file from the MB3 exclusions.

Thanks! That was easy!

6 minutes ago, Cain said:

This one worked on my wife's computer:  From the MBAM 2.2 console, add any file to the exclusion list. Then retry the upgrade. If the upgrade was successful, remove that file from the MB3 exclusions.

Thanks! That was easy!

It's already done and it works fine. Thanks !