cannot install malwarebytes to win xp pc

its the father in laws pc who had been using it unprotected

adwcleaner found 18 things and removed them eventually after crashing 3 times during removal

ive tried mb clean then reboot  twice then chameleon to download and install Malwarebytes but as it says starting Malwarebytes I get a windows error and then in dosbox update fails

clicking the top two boxes in chameleon (after clicking on chameleon hlp give same result

I hope someone out there can help me

I have two other working pc's with windows 10 in the house

I have a paid subscription to Malwarebytes home premium on this pc and was thinking of simply fitting the drive to this pc and scanning it from here but was afraid of transferring any infection

cheers

• Staff

Hello aljaxon and welcome to Malwarebytes.  Our sincere apologies for the delay in responding to your issue.

It appears that the issue is that this machine has a much older cpu that will not work with 3.0.  You can install 2.2.1, but a modification will have to made first.

Please follow the instructions in our Knowledge Base Article here https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2063875?b_id=6438

I realize the name of the file is referencing version 2.1.8, bit it applies to versions 2.x as well.

You can download version 2.2.1 from this link https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mbam_2x

Let me know how that worked out for you.

• Staff

That's the message I knew you were seeing - this hotfix will work. ^_^  And make sure you are installing 2.2.1 - not 2.1.8. As I mentioned, the download file says '2.1.8' but it will work for 2.2.1 as well

Try it this way...

Uninstall 2.2.1, then begin the installation again.  Wait until the very end - do not click Finish yet...

Run the Hotfix

Now click Finish for the Install.

Better?

Edited by Ried

yup I installed and didn't run then applied hotfix and its now working and scanning!!!!

thanks for that

now to find a version of Microsoft security essentials that will run on his antiquated system

all I get is this is not a valid win32 summat

he was infected and superanti spyware and an adware remover found and removed a few

ill see what Malwarebytes does and get back to you hopefully with an all clear!!!

fingers crossed 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!