"Protection layers" keep turning themselves off?

I am having the exact same issue - and frankly it's becoming so annoying I'm thinking of uninstalling the application and not purchase it. It's frustrating that it's happening, but it is ever more frustrating there is no option to turn it off.

Windows 10-64, Anniversary
Bitdefender multi-device 2017 (full)
Hitman ProAlert 3.6.1 build 574

• Staff

As Aura asked and mentiond - is the protection really off, or are you just seeing the Notification when you boot up the machine that the protection is off as Malwarebytes is still loading?

This is a Known Issue as posted here https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/191805-malwarebytes-30-known-issues/

Occasionally, after installing, the user will see a “protection layer is off” warning while the protection is being or has already been automatically turned on.

To verify if the actual state of the Protection, open Malwarebytes. It should show the protection as 'on'. If any of them are off, I'll need more detail from whomever this is happening to, to figure out why it's doing that.

• Staff

What are your current Check for Updates intervals?  Just a temporary solution until they get this worked out - you can extend the interval for checking for updates so it doesn't interfere with your gaming or work.

Click Settings > Protection tab

Scroll down to Updates and change the interval to automatically check for updates.

When it checks for updates and actually has to apply them to the program, it has to temporarily stop the protection to apply the new update package, then restart the Protection.  All of this happens within milliseconds, but this is why you would see the Notification pop up during the day and not just when you boot up the machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Same problem when I reboot Win 8.1, MB 3.05 version. Says one or more protection layers are turned off. I can click a dialog button to fix. After such if I reboot same warning. I think it is a bug.

I also get an error that states updates are not current but have program to check for updates every 12 hours. Strange... Fiddled with setting but same message.

Great program, perhaps a few little bugs in the 3.x version on 64 bit machines. I have not uninstalled, deleted any scheduled entries in scheduler if that would help, etc...

Thanks

Peter

Same problem when I reboot Win 8.1, MB 3.05 version. Says one or more protection layers are turned off. I can click a dialog button to fix. After such if I reboot same warning. I think it is a bug.

It is a known issue and listed in the "Malwarebytes 3.0 Known Issues" thread. Malwarebytes pushed a fix in the newest version (3.0.5), but some users might still experience it and a long-term fix is on its way.

@aura

Thanks for the above.
Indeed, it is still there. This morning I uninstalled v2.x using Revo Uninstaller (removing registry entries and c:\ folder paths) and after a reboot, freshly installed v3.05. At each reboot this pop-up shows up. Actually, checking the settings (incl. 'Manage Protected Applications' and 'Advanced Settings') before and after turning on, I don't see any difference.
Anyway, it is good to read that one is working on a fix.
Thanks again!

=
Real-Time Protection layers turned off
One or more Real-Time Protection layers are turned off. Turn
on all Real-Time Protection layers to block and prevent threats.

=

OGirxplm.png

=

I ditched 3.0.5 off my desktop a week ago and looks like I will be doing the same on my laptop. Brought the laptop out of sleep mode today and noticed a red triangle in MBM systray icon. Open MBAM app and lo and behold Ransoware Protection was disabled and Malware Protection was as well. Once the MBAM app opened up Ransomware Protection enabled itself but the same can not be said for Malware Protection. Repeated attempts to turn it on failed  This is exactly the same issue I had on my desktop which by the way is turned off at night.

18 hours ago, jekkie said:

Installed v. 3.0.5.1299  from here :

It did not solved the problem. Still getting the same popup after first time boot.

Some people might still be experiencing that error message, and a long-term fix is on it's way.

• Fixed issue where “Real-Time Protection disabled” notifications would display throughout the day (NOTE: this notification may still be seen on reboot on some systems, but we’re working on another longer-term fix to address that separately)

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/192529-malwarebytes-305-patch-release-now-available/

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, kansasdude said:

Web Protection has been in Starting status for 5 mins and won't switch to on

I had premium trial...deactivated and back to free (since the real time is for premium (which appears to be broke (in the web protection section))

i installed this 2 days ago after a adware attack on my laptop since then ive run about a bijilion scans but i also get a pop up every time i reboot that says "real time procetion layers are off" or something to that effect so then i go into MB and goto the protection settings it then tells me that web, malware and ransomware are off

so i push them all to on but it just stays there saying "starting", but it'll sit there for 3 hours "starting" while it does nothing

If you're having issues with the real-time protection modules, try the solutions proposed in the thread below.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/195576-real-time-protection-layer-turning-off-try-this/

If they do not work for you, please create a new thread while providing the information and logs asked in the thread below.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/190532-having-problems-using-malwarebytes-please-follow-these-steps/

Thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

@TonyLubrano :welcome:

Have you added mutual exclusions to BOTH Malwarebytes and Defender? Also update your MB to the new update package. You have   Component package version 1.0.50 , New one is 1.0.75

Get the new version here.

I also suggest adding these to the exclusion list in Defender or what ever AV you use.

C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbae64.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\MBAMSwissArmy.sys
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mwac.sys
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\farflt.sys

In addition to the current list here.

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe

If that does not work Start a NEW TOPIC and include all the info/scan logs from the following post.

Edited by Porthos