Malwarebytes 3.0 and Trend Micro Internet Security

It seems Malwarebytes 3.0 (in contrast to Malwarebytes 2.0) is incompatible with Trend Micro Internet Security.

I upgraded from Malwarebytes version 2 to Malwarebytes 3.0 today.

Since over a year, I have Trend MIcro Internet Security as my antivirus. With Malwarebytes version 2, I noted no issues with Trend Micro.

But since the upgrade to Malwarebytes 3.0, I am unable to do a scan with Trend Micro - the scan hangs as 6%, 7%, or 8% (it hangs on different files each time).

I excluded the Trend Micro folder in the Malwarebytes settings - but this does not help.

If I shut down Malwarebytes 3.0, Trend Micro is able to scan normally to completion.

Can this apparent incompatibility between Malwarebytes 3.0 and Trend Micro be fixed?

Thanks!

• Staff

Hello Sophie707

I would like you to open Malwarebytes and click on settings

Go to the protection tab

at the top you will find 4 on and off switches - I would like you to turn them off and try to run a scan - then turn them on one at a time till you find the one that is giving trouble

when you find the one that is giving trouble can you come back here and let us know

gringo

4 hours ago, gringo_pr said:

Hello Sophie707

I would like you to open Malwarebytes and click on settings

Go to the protection tab

at the top you will find 4 on and off switches - I would like you to turn them off and try to run a scan - then turn them on one at a time till you find the one that is giving trouble

when you find the one that is giving trouble can you come back here and let us know

gringo

Hi, thanks for replying!

When I switch "Ransomware Protection" to "Off", Trend Micro scans normally to completion.

Setting the 3 other switches to "Off" has no effect on Trend Micro.

So it's the "Ransomware Protection" in Malwarebytes 3.0 that appears somehow to be conflicting with Trend Micro.

Sophie

• Staff

Hello again :)

I spoke with the team and they tested on Windows 10 and were unable to replicate the problem.  If you are willing to help us try to track this down further we would greatly appreciate it.

If you are up for helping us out, please provide the following:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.

You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt).
  • Next, open the folder C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs and copy the file MBAMSERVICE.log to your desktop
  • Then select all 3 files on your desktop (FRST.txt, Addition.txt and MBAMSERVICE.log) and right-click on the files and hover your mouse over Send to and choose Compressed (zip) folder
  • Click on the choose files... link at the bottom of your post and select the ZIP folder you just created to attach the logs to your post.

Edited by exile360

I have v3 of Malwarebytes and the new Trend Micro 2017 working together well on my laptop.  Windows 10 64 bit.   Basically, I did not enable Ransomware with Trend.  Skipped the install during the upgrade.  I let Malwarebytes take care of that.  Also, make sure that in the exception lists for both...to cover each

In Trend, bring up the console...under "Exception Lists" make sure that C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes is in there

Then open the Malwarebytes console...click on Settings...then choose Exclusions and make sure C:\Program Files\Trend Micro is in there...now see if that helps...

On 12/16/2016 at 3:18 AM, exile360 said:

Excellent, thanks :)

I've passed them on to the Malwarebytes 3.0 team so that they may investigate further.

Thank you for assisting us in attempting to find and fix this issue, it is very much appreciated :)

Just saw that Malwarebytes 3.4 was upgraded to 3.5. I installed Malwarebytes 3.5 hoping the incompatibility with Trend Micro Internet Security would be resolved.

But unfortunately, Trend Micro still cannot complete on-demand FULL or CUSTOM scans (the scans hang at 1-8%) unless Ransomware Protection in Malwarebytes is turned off.

I am using Windows 7 professional. I had no problems with Malwarebytes 2.0.

Has Malwarebytes had a chance to review the data from the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool?

Thanks once more!

• Staff

I passed them on to the 3.0 team.  I'm sure they've reviewed them by now but I'm not sure if they've made any progress on finding a fix yet.  I do know there are several compatibility and performance issues with our anti-ransomware module being worked on for an upcoming release, so hopefully that will also include this issue with Trend.