neonsurfer

MB 3.0 Exploit Protection, Kaspersky, Chrome Issue

Upgraded from MBAM 2.x and MBAE 1.x to MB 3.0 Premium. The issue with Google Chrome not launching with Kaspersky internet Security 17.0.0.611 (c) and MBAE was corrected with a MBAE Beta update but came back again with an upgrade to MB 3.0. Currently have Exploit disabled in MB 3.0 in order for Chrome to launch. Is there a fix coming soon?

9 hours ago, neonsurfer said:

Upgraded from MBAM 2.x and MBAE 1.x to MB 3.0 Premium. The issue with Google Chrome not launching with Kaspersky internet Security 17.0.0.611 (c) and MBAE was corrected with a MBAE Beta update but came back again with an upgrade to MB 3.0. Currently have Exploit disabled in MB 3.0 in order for Chrome to launch. Is there a fix coming soon?

Same issue with only google chrome 64-bit, 32-bit is working fine !

Registered to post this issue as well; though I did not manually upgrade before the issue became apparent. Was using MB 2.x with Anti-exploit with Kaspersky. Realized Anti-exploit was preventing Chrome from launching (disabling it launched Chrome like normal). Uninstalled MB 2.x and Anti-exploit to install MB 3.x, but issue remains the same. Currently have exploit protection off.

Hi, I am using Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 as well and have just installed MBAM 3.0. After enabling AE I was unable to load any webpages and when trying to restart the browser, the browser would not open. Attempted to add all the MBAM components to the exclusions list on KIS2017, but Chrome still refused to open. After disabling MBAM AE for Chrome it opened. It is worth noting that this appears to only be affecting Chrome, as Microsoft Edge opens without issue with AE enabled. Firefox also appears to be working correctly. I am using Chrome Beta 64-bit.

Edited by NEXUS2345
Clarify Chrome version.

4 minutes ago, mrtee said:

The problem is at Kaspersy's end. It affects 64 bit browsers but not 32 bit.

The thing is, for me at least, this is only affecting Chrome. All other browsers are working fine with AE enabled for them, which leads me to be unsure about whether Kaspersky is causing this issue this time around.

Exit KIS and try it. Exit MBAM and try it.

On my machine IE & Chrome (both 64 bit) are affected. It is not a new problem but it is at Kaspersy's end and they say uninstall MBAM.

Edited by mrtee

Ok, so I disabled KIS and tried with AE enabled for Chrome, and Chrome did launch, so I can confirm it is Kaspersky. I am going to go through and see if I can find which component of AE is causing the issue, if it is any specific one.

Ok, so even after disabling all components active for chrome under advanced settings, the issue is still occurring so it can be assumed it is possibly the previous bug.

MB did a remote on my machine to find the problem. The programs used are unavailable to us common users. They are working on it. Good luck to you in trying to find the problem, I will wait for the MBAM update to address the problem.

Disabling Kaspersky and enable MBAE did not work for me.

Additional problem : websites, even with AE disabled, do not open at all (like malwarebytes forum)

others do open after a long time.

For the moment I uninstalled malwarebytes 3.0 and went back to the old version on the computers with google chrome 64-bit, because it's not workable for me.

I'll wait for an update, "for the moment" it's working on the computers with google chrome 32 bit.

FYI -- OS:  Win 7-64 bit w/ SP1.

Based on the above comments, I did extensive MBAM vs KIS testing this afternoon.

My findings following the previous comments in this thread about Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 [17.0.0.611(c)] and MBAM 3.0.4.1269 Anti-exploit settings:
(1) latest Chrome 64-bit (55.0.2883.87) & Firefox 50.0.2.6177 will **NOT** run with MBAM Anti-exploit (AE) settings "ON" for both browsers (MBAM - Settings - Protection - Exploit Protection - Manage Protected Applications) **AND** KIS running.

(2) when I turn OFF the MBAM AE switches for both browsers -- both WILL RUN **WITH** KIS running.
    If I turn the MBAM AE switches back ON for both browsers -- both browsers will **NOT** run while KIS is running.

(3) If I PAUSE KIS protection -- browsers will **NOT** run with MBAM AE browser settings ON.
      (doesn't make sense -- then what does KIS "PAUSE" protection mean / do ?)

(4) If I EXIT KIS -- then browsers **WILL** run with MBAM AE browser settings ON.

Given that both browsers worked with the previous MBAM version & KIS running ***at the same time***, it appears that, with the addition of AE to the latest MBAM 3.0.4,
*** (A) AE is the culprit (re: item 2), 'cuz 
   (1) I previously ran the standalone MBAE program and ran into issues that went away when I uninstalled MBAE ; MBAM 3.0 now incorporates AE.

and

(2) in KIS - Settings - Protection - Application Control:
     - "Rules for applications, personal data protection" -- "Manage Applications" ==> ALL Malwarebytes components (service, tray app, etc) are "Allowed",
     - "Change trust group for unknown applications" ==> Malwarebytes is TRUSTED
     - "Change trust group for applications started before startup of Kaspersky Internet Security" ==> Malwarebutes is TRUSTED
     - another switch someplace in KIS to check ????

OR

*** (B) KIS is the root CAUSE of the conflict (items 2 & 4)

For this (A) & (B) question -- whose fix is it ?
     (This reminds me of Abbott & Costello's "Who's on First" routine.)

Hi stealthsub2,

(Home user here, not staff)
As far as I know the Anti-exploit features of Kaspersky and Malwarebytes are clashing. disabling one of the two fixes it. As you described. I think pauzing KIS doesn't turn off it's anti-exploit feature (this feature generally doesn't give false positives and hardly uses any resources). At https://support.kaspersky.com/12729#block2 is described how to turn off the Anti-exploit feature of KIS, this would be preferable to completely disabling KIS. This you can use to test if it is the anti-exploit feature of KIS that clashes with MalwareBytes anti-exploit as I expect.

I do not know which product provides the best exploit protection. Since MBAM seems to offer finer control I would experiment with how many options can be left active without causing the protected software to crash. If you don't feel like doing this I would advise to just pick one and turn the other one off.

As for your final question: whose fix it is. I personally, and I do not represent Malwarebytes (nor Kaspersky), feel like it is Malwarebytes fix as they claim their software runs with the major anti-virus products and Kaspersky doesn't exert any claim like that. That said, the little experience I have with Kaspersky is that it doesn't work well with other security related software as well (so I kicked Kaspersky out), then again, Kaspersky never said it would. So the solution may lay at Kasperskys end.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Durew