Micr$oft Edge & Insider Preview Build WIN10

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure looks like changes made by Microsoft in Preview  Build 14986 have led to all these issues on Edge.

All my other web browsers, Firefox, Pale Moon, Chrome have no issue.  It is only with the new Edge in this build.

Also, this is not happening with the Edge in the current branch build 14393.  This all was not happening on the prior Preview build 14965.

I should note to be real clear:  I have not had any "bsod" aborts.  It's just that Edge browser seizes up and does not go out to any website or go thru with any search typed in.  It  ( EDGE ) just "seizes" up.   Windows is still usable.  Other browsers work.

One further notation: while Edge seems to have stalled, I am still able to get into its Settings and use that part of it.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

We ought to change the subject line of this thread. The situation is more like "the new MS build's Edge SmartScreen filter" plays havoc with MB3.

Just a F Y I  for all, I believe I found the source of friction with the EDGE browser in Preview Build 14986.   You need to turn OFF the SmartScreen filter in EDGE browser.
Once I did that, there is no issue with EDGE browser while having all real-time protections ON in Malwarebytes.
Just tested that on my rig running build 14986 Home 64bit with Windows Defender and Malwabytes 3.

I thought all along something was odd that all other web browsers were doing fine, and just only Edge having "issues".  :excl:
I have to wonder and ask, how much did Microsoft change the SmartScreen filter ?  what were all the significant driver changes made by MS?

Here are the step by step tips for turning off Edge's SmartScreen filter.
Start Edge.  Click the settings control icon ...
click the line marked Settings in the drop down selection list.

Next, scroll down the next list and click View Advanced Settings
and then scroll down to the very bottom.  Then flip selection  to OFF for SmartScreen filter.
Close Edge

Now review the Malwabytes settings.  Turn protections back ON.  ( if you use Premium)
When done, a Restart of Windows is probably a good idea.

I can post some screenshots later on.

H T H

Enjoy the weekend  ( what is left) 

:D:cool:

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Maurice, you are (almost) a genius! 

It did indeed take a restart of Windows 10 Build 14986.  Microsoft Edge was slow (ok, much slower than usual) to open webpages but with the SmartScreen filter off it did work again with all protection confirmed as re-enabled on Malwarebytes Pro.  However, closing and relaunching the browser, it again got "stuck" at a blank screen, not loading the webpage.  I tried relaunching the browser again and the pages still wouldn't load.

It seems that I was a tad too early.   It  is not the Smartscreen filter.  It is something else that is new in this new Edge that causes things to go astray.

Malwarebytes 3 does fine on the current branch build 14393.  This build `14986 musta included something 'new ' in Edge.

I have my Edge set to start as a blank page.  I can start Edge but it does not complete painting the bottom part and the search box is not responding.

What is the start page you have for your Edge?   plus, does yours have a ad blocker?

Cheers.

I have 4 tabs set to launch with Edge:  Bing.com, a private Yammer site, one of the forums that I admin and MSN Weaher for my location.  The first time after disabling the SmartScreen filter, only one tab opened -- Bing,com.  However, the page filled.  After I closed and relaunched the browser, all four tabs opened and the URL was displayed in each tab but the pages didn't "fill".  Mousing over the tab name, each site "showed" in the background but didn't load.  Closed and relaunched again and only one tab opened with Bing.com in the URL but nothing on the page.

As to adblocker, I currently have AdBlock enabled.  Also installed but off are Adblock Plus and uBlock Origin.  Although uBlock Origin would be my preference, it seemed to make the browser even slower than usual so I've been experimenting with the three.

Perhaps try not to open  ( or have) the tab with Bing.com.

I just tried a goodly amount of stuff, and still no joy.  Its almost like something new in Edge "is calling home".

I have Bing rewards and so made sure I am logged out.

I even drilled thru Edge settings and cleared out Bing history on the cloud, as well.

Changed the search preference from Bing to google   ( thinking it may reduce the overhead in startup of the Edge)

I turned off synching of Favorites etc,   in both of my systems for Edge.

I even changed my Start page on Edge to time.gov

By the way, on the "default"  blank page for Edge  still wants to & does load MSN feeds which go miles deep.   I sorta suspect that is where the browser is seizing up.

2 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

It seems that I was a tad too early.   It  is not the Smartscreen filter.  It is something else that is new in this new Edge that causes things to go astray.

Malwarebytes 3 does fine on the current branch build 14393.  This build `14986 musta included something 'new ' in Edge.

I have my Edge set to start as a blank page.  I can start Edge but it does not complete painting the bottom part and the search box is not responding.

What is the start page you have for your Edge?   plus, does yours have a ad blocker?

Cheers.

Is it possible the issue you guys are having with Edge is due to the new mitigation Microsoft has developed called Return Flow Guard?

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/return-flow-guard.389701/

http://xlab.tencent.com/en/2016/11/02/return-flow-guard/

Just an update on this issue as I installed 3.0.5 this morning.  I can launch Edge fine without it locking up or anything even with all Protection layers enabled.  That is just after install and I will reboot to see if that happens since the Protected Application list appears to be empty at the moment.

I will update after reboot.

Sorry for all the troubles.  For those that have the Premium, there are two work-arounds.

1 - Set I E or one of your other web browsers ( Mozilla, IE, Chrome, Pale Moon, etc) as the default web browser in Windows 10 PREVIEW build.

Keep all MB real-time protections ON and just not use Edge   ( at least until some future point).

2 Or else, turn off the Anti-Exploit protection in MB3

then install the very latest beta Anti-Exploit  ( stand alone)   link below

Then Restart Windows.

Correction to my earlier post in this thread:  Maurice, you are a genius! 

Until this issue is fixed in Malwarebytes Premium, I opted for option 2, which allows me to have full protection when I use Microsoft Edge instead of my default browser, Pale Moon.  Edge is working correctly with the latest beta Anti-Exploit installed.

Something of interest for this issue.  I added the Edge folder to the Exclusion list, turned on all protection modules, rebooted and then waited a few seconds for the system to settle down.

I can launch Edge fine and it doesn't hang.  Not sure how this relates to the Exploit Protection module but this seems to address the issue at the moment.  I know not ideal as you are excluding it from being scanned, etc.

Just something to pass along with helping address the issue.

For me on  W10 build 14986 Edge is  working now, but  with different settings on my 32 bite and 64 systems:
On my 32 bits tablet its works with MBAM 3.0 with the Smartscreen option in Edge turned off
On my 64 bite its works woth AI option turned of on MBAM premium 3.0.5 and with MBAE 1.0.9 installed again after the update from 3.04 to 3.05 .
No need to deactivate the Edge filter in MBAE 1.0.9,

I get the same with Edge (but I'm not in the Windows Insider program) - on Windows 10. I noticed that Edge is working fine now with Malwarebytes 3.0.5 but only after I turned off then turned on Malwarebytes again, then re-launched the Edge browser.

Before that, I just got no page loading at all in Edge.

Edit - I just checked, and my smart screen filter is disabled.

Edited by jsljustin
update info

• 2 weeks later...

With build 15002 Edsge and IE  work OK on my 32 bit  tiny system, but on my 64 system I still have to disable Anti Exploit and run MBAE aside.

On build 14986 I Could use the trick with excluding the Microsoft Edge map  on my x64 system but that does not help with this new build.