Jump to content

Local area connection name got changed to weird numbers


arkhaan
 Share

Recommended Posts

I was downloading a very large game(roughly 24 GB) from Gog.com(a legitimate site) and the LAC was the correct name, running fine, the following morning, I found it had been renamed 3333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333334444 overnight, while I was asleep, as it downloaded this huge game.(either "The Solus Project", or "Dying Light") I cannot recall which), but that doesn't matter, it is my PC that does matter and who might have hacked it or intercepted it with malware while I slept-OI do use credit card transactions on this machine from time to time. Also, online banking and billing of my utilities/phone service and my account with the local community neighborhood watch site(seeclickfix.com) and am concerned of the security on this computer for these activities and also Gog/steam downloading in the future. I will upload a screen shot of my network sharing area, for reference in addition to farbar reports.  this is a home PC, I am the only one who uses it, no one can access my PC but me(from the physical end) I am concerned it is from the online end, not the physical. I want to determine what it is and why it happened(rather than just renaming it to its original name, as Microsoft's community told me) once I find out what it is and if it is a harmless glitch I can remain it back, but much appreciate anyone's time aiding me in determining possible malware or opened security breach then I'll have peace of mind. what is most alarming, is that on Sunday morning when this occurred I had a disconnected LAC(Local Area Connection) when I "enabled" it, it duplicated itself into a clone with this 333(and so on) name and then the original "disabled" connection disappeared when the clone enabled itself. I now have only one(and I assume it is the clone, not the original connection) I am not so concerned with the renaming in itself(as one pointed out on the Microsoft community help website, that is common place) but what it named itself(333333s is a bit bazaar IMhO) and that it cloned itself, refused to connect and only would with the clone, and thus when I enabled the clone the original disappeared(aka was deleted) I use 2 other machines(not connected nor sharing with this one) on the "home" network of my Ethernet gateway(AT&T) they are not affected by this odd occurrence.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

weird network duplicate with numbers.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Back to top
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This site uses cookies - We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.