MWB vs System Mechanic

I’ve had the paid version of MWB and System Mechanic for years. Yesterday for the first time ever MWB found 179 PUP files seemingly related to System Mechanic. Not knowing what had happened, I deleted all the PUP files which essentially uninstalled System Mechanic. Then it dawned on me the MWB had a new update that marked System Mechanic files as PUPs. Most of the 179 files mentioned System Mechanic, but many only referenced a registry value. I reinstalled System Mechanic, ran MWB again and marked all PUP files to be ignored. This doesn’t help me know which files MWB found are related to System Mechanic when just a registry value is listed.

MWB SHOULD ISSUE AN UPDATE TO CORRECT THIS ERROR.

File showing 179 entries as PUPs.

mwb.doc

I've been running the paid version of System Mechanic for eight months and have had no problems until now.  I am running the most recent updated version of System Mechanic and Malwarebyes on two PC's and one laptop.  In the last couple of days Malwarebytes has quarantined multiple System Mechanic files and caused it to stop running on all of my machines.  To fix the problem, I have excluded the iolo directories in Malwarebytes and reinstalled System Mechanic on each machine.  System Mechanic now runs fine, but pup warnings continue to pop-up now and then.  I've read that Malwarebytes is getting tougher on pup's and may consider System Mechanic to be a worthless product.  Would like to read more about this.  Does Malwarebytes intend to fix the problem, or is Malwarebytes simply protecting the unwary user from the evil that lies within System Mechanic???

Same problem here with System Mechanic, and I was getting a lot of PUP.optional "non-malware" notifications.   It's tedious cleaning them out of the History Archive everyday, but I found an alternative solution:

Go to "Scan", then select "Custom Scan -- Scan Selections", select the "Custom Scan" menu then select the "Configure Scan" button.  On the next web-page, under "Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPS)" select "ignore detections".  Also be sure to select your drives on the right side.

I ran it with that setup today, and I got a message about 259 non-malware PUP "threats", but none of it was quarantined, and they all relate to SM.  We'll see if this works long-term.  It seems like I'd have the option to just run System Mechanic without this nonsense.  I don't really have a PUP problem anyway.  

If Malwarebytes really wants to fix the problem, they should attack the root cause -- which is unwanted adware that comes with downloads -- especially "free" downloads.  Users should do their homework before they download a program -- to read reviews from other users before downloading a program.

Hello Glasair.  Keep me posted.  I can't give up system mechanic.  My computer is too old and I like the tune up features. My MB license is about to expire, and I'll probably just let it go.  I'm also following at PC Mag.  The general manager for SM is on that forum. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2371043,00.asp#disqus_thread

This seems to be a attack on competitors.

Nothing of the sort;  please read Registry Cleaners: Digital Snake Oil

These are categorized as "potentially unwanted", and not as malware.  If you'd still like to continue using them, please do, at your own discretion and potentially peril.

All you need to do then, is simply exclude the files or folder in  question from scanning.  All there is to it.  :)

I agree with TonyKlein completely. All you have to do each time your paid version MWB runs an automatic scan and you get an annoying pop up saying it found something is click on it. Then click a few more steps to see what MWBs found and scroll through the extensive list to see if there is anything you want to keep. So maybe you look through a hundred or so entries, no problem. Then continue with what you were doing before you got the pop up and be happy that after all these years of using System Mechanic your MWB program now classifies so many of it’s files as PUPs. Then you can go back to what you were doing in the first place before the annoyance. This since AdwCleaner became part of Malwarebytes.

9 hours ago, TonyKlein said:

"All you need to do then, is simply exclude the files or folder in  question from scanning.  All there is to it."

You would think so...and that's the way it should be.  Unfortunately that doesn't do the job.   It gets into registry keys too.  My last run came up with 279 "potentially unwanted" programs including dozens of registry keys.  They are neither a file or a folder, so there is no option for them.

A pure registry cleaner is not a good idea because it leaves other residue.  System Mechanic has a total solution, and I can defrag really fast on my old PC.  I can free up a couple of Gegabytes in seconds. Here's a technical explanation from 2012:    http://www.iolo.com/resources/articles/registry-cleaners-snake-oil-or-pc-panacea/

Edited by safespace-superhero

2 hours ago, safespace-superhero said:

You're absolutely right. But simply do it when scan results are ready:

Uncheck related registry keys and values, then

From the documentation:

If any threats are not selected to be moved to Quarantine, you will be prompted to Ignore OnceIgnore Always, or CancelIgnore Once will result in the threat once again being reported as a threat during the next scan execution. Ignore Always causes the threat to be added to Exclusions. A threat which has been added to Exclusions will no longer be reported as a threat unless there is reason to believe that it has been tampered with.

You can of course also tell MBAM to ignore PUPS altogether, although it's no recommended 

• Automatically quarantine detected items: When unchecked, any threats detected will not be quarantined immediately. A notification will instead be presented, and you must choose how to respond. If you do not respond within forty (40) seconds, the threat will be quarantined automatically.

I'm not there to respond unless I run the program manually, so the files still get quarantined anyway, and this isn't going to fix it.  If I'm going to run the program manually, where I can be there,  then I'll do a custom scan every time.

I had a tech from System Mechanic work on my PC remotely concerning this problem.
He deleted SM and tried to reinstall it after mentioning the problem with MBAM.
Well he could not reinstall SM he says MBAM won't allow my PC to do so.
He wanted to uninstall MBAM and try again but I wouldn't let him because I have been 
using MBAM for many years and like it a lot. My problem is what do I do now because I also like
the features in SM. Will there be a fix for this and if so when as I am waiting for the fix to reinstall System Mechanic. 

2 hours ago, meyoomo said:

My problem is what do I do now because I also like
the features in SM. Will there be a fix for this and if so when as I am waiting for the fix to reinstall System Mechanic. 

The issue is all those "features" in SM are the reason it is blocked. Those optimizing features have the "potential" to cause system harm. That is why it is considered a PUP. Potentially unwanted program. And Malwarebytes has cracked down on those type of programs.

Edited by Porthos

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

The issue is all those "features" in SM are the reason it is blocked. Those optimizing features have the "potential" to cause system harm. That is why it is considered a PUP. Potentially unwanted program. And Malwarebytes has cracked down on those type of programs.

Potential is the key word here. I doesn't mean SM IS an unwanted program it May have the potential to cause problems. I have a lifetime
membership to SM and I feel I should be able to keep it running if I choose. If MBAM finds it DOES cause problems MBAM should inform it's customers
and let them make the decision as to whether they want to run it or not.