Connection, slow shutdown, issues

• Root Admin

I'm sorry I must have missed that part. I thought we got the protection modules working. Please reboot the computer again with no changes to age out any current old Event Entries and then run the FRST program again and make sure you place a check mark on the Additions.txt check box to get a new log for that as well and attach on your next reply.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Yeah you might go back over the last few posts I had and you will see screen shots of the problems with MBAM. Really the only thing resolved so far is the startup auto run of Chkdsk and internet connection. Shutdown was faster with MSE off but slows down again when back on. Also have had maybe 2 restarts where MBAM didn't send up the warning, otherwise it is still happening.

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

• Root Admin

Okay, let's try some other cleanup routines and see if that helps then.

Please visit this web page and read the ComboFix User's Guide:

• Once you've read the article and are ready to use the program you can download it directly from the link below.
  • Important! - Please make sure you save combofix to your desktop and do not run it from your browser
  • Direct download link for: ComboFix.exe
  • Please make sure you disable your security applications before running ComboFix.
  • Once Combofix has completed it will produce and open a log file.  Please be patient as it can take some time to load.
  • Please attach that log file to your next reply.
  • If needed the file can be located here:  C:\combofix.txt
  • NOTE: If you receive the message "illegal operation has been attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion", just reboot the computer.

I found the cause of the slow shutdown after noticing it was normal with MSE and MBAM turned off. Through trial and error I narrowed it down to the MSE. So I removed and replaced it and the solved the slow shutdown issue, boot seems to be much better as well. Wait now to see if the MBAM dialog box will not pop up any more saying "Real Time Protection is off" after MBAM loads. So far after 2 restarts it hasn't, but it hasn't been a consistent issue.

If that ends up being resolved then the only thing I have yet to fix is generic icons on the desktop for Firefox saved shortcuts for websites, which came about after the FSRT64 run on file you gave me.

• Root Admin

I did ask you in post #25 to disable the real time protection from Microsoft Security Essentials. But glad you removed it and things are now better.

I'm going on vacation this Saturday so we need to finish up tomorrow if possible otherwise I won't be back until the 27th.

Thanks again

Ron

Hi Ron,

I did disable it as you told me too after post #25, but uninstalling and reinstalling it is what cured the slow shutdown, apparently there was something corrupt with it. Does the real time protection in MSE then need to remain off from that point on? If so is MBAM's real time protection considered a replacement for that? Did you find anything in the ComboFix log I posted? Also any solution for the Icon issue?

Thanks for all you help and efforts, I do appreciate it!

Merry Christmas and safe travels,

Steve

• Root Admin

Nothing critical in the Combofix log Steve.

Please see the following post about using Malwarebytes as an antivirus replacement. You can if you wish or you may continue to use a traditional antivirus. We should work with most antivirus products. Perhaps as you say there was something wrong witht the MSE install you had in place.

Please see if this article helps with the icon issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2635447

Thank you for the warm wishes on holiday and travel. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours, hope you all have a wonderful time with friends and family.

Ron