Connection, slow shutdown, issues

Thanks Ron,

Here's the scoop and logs:

A while back one of the Malwarebytes programs (I think it was the AntiRansomware) wanted to install an updated version, this failed and continued to try and install, the Malwarebytes site was aware of the problem and eventually corrected the issue with instructions how to uninstall/reinstall etc. It was after all this that it seemed the following conglomeration of issues slowly developed.

1. 5-10 min shutdowns or restarts.

2. Unable to connect to some sites but no problem with others.

3. Can't login to my office 365 email.

4. Can't update Microsoft Security Essentials.

5. Intermittent and slow connections to websites, but no problem with some sites such as Netflix.

6. Can't seem to download manually, updates from Microsoft with catalog server.

7. Startup seems to be much slower.

8. Windows Internet Explorer seems to be worse with connections than Firefox is.

I have ran sfc scannow, disk check, Malwarebytes, rkill, adwcleaner, tdsskiller, jrt, Sophos and everything I can imagine to do. Startup items look ok I try and keep them in check. Also shutdown computer pulled power and held power button down for 1 min left this way overnight. Unhooked cable modem and routers and reconnected.

Thanks for the help!

Steve

This is a 2 year old Dell Precision T1700

OS Name     Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Version        6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer      Dell Inc.

System Model        Precision T1700

System Type          x64-based PC

Processor     Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1220 v3 @ 3.10GHz, 3101 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date         Dell Inc. A20, 9/22/2016

SMBIOS Version   2.7

Windows Directory          C:\Windows

System Directory   C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device  \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Locale United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer      Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

User Name   Steve-FLHOME\Steve

Time Zone    Eastern Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)        8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory     7.94 GB

Available Physical Memory         4.48 GB

Total Virtual Memory       15.9 GB

Available Virtual Memory 12.5 GB

Page File Space      7.94 GB

Page File      C:\pagefile.sys

Addition.txt

AdwCleaner[S1].txt

CheckResults.txt

FRST.txt

JRT.txt

Rkill.txt

• Root Admin

The computer does not show any signs of an infection so that's good. Let me have you uninstall all of the Malwarebytes software and reboot the computer once, then run the MBAM CLEAN tool and reboot again.

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using the following guide. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Then restart the computer a 3rd time and run the STARTUP and SHUTDOWN performance monitor tasks again and post back the new ones with no Malwarebytes software installed.

Boot Duration        :    140913ms / 1000 = 140.913 seconds / 60 = 2.348 minutes to start the computer.

Shutdown Duration    :    299589ms / 1000 = 299.589 seconds / 60 = 4.993 minutes to shut down the computer.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Are you sure that ALL of the Malwarebytes files have been removed? If all of our software has been removed there should not be any boot scan going on..

The times have not improved in this log either. Please confirm if MBAM software is still removed and these logs are after it's removal.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Shutdown 17104 / 1000 = 17.1 seconds

Startup   90354 / 1000 = 90.35 seconds

Okay, please let me get new FRST logs including the Addition.txt file by placing a check mark in the box for it and attach.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Sorry didn't realize I needed to remove all three programs. So I did clean removals (of first 2, but couldn't find app to do clean removal on last one) MalwareByes Anti-Malware, Anit-Exploit, and finally Anti-Ransomware Beta. Restarted twice, captured shutdown and boot logs, also ran FRST before reinstalling all programs. Also did a few screen captures during startup, need to shut off the scan disk at startup, also some issues in one of the screen captures with 2 registry items. See 8 attachments below.

IMG_2991.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_2995.JPG

Addition.txt

Boot no Malwarebytes programs.txt

Shutdown no Malwarebytes programs.txt

FRST.txt

• Root Admin

I've included a fix to clean a few items and an entry to remove the disk check on reboot. I don't think this will make much of any change but please run the following.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

Thanks for info on MSCONFIG I will look into using that.

Well Dell thru a wrench in that last instruction. Shortly after I started FRST64 a dialog came up stating something about Dell Management Agent being stopped and windows would restart, no way out of that is was gonna restart like it or not. So after the restart (of course FRST64 hadn't finished its run before that happened) the desktop appeared, all icons generic, and endless spinning donut of lockup, tried everything to do a proper restart but wasn't possible so had to power it down. Booted into recovery and restored to earlier point saved by earlier run of FRST64 earlier today. That seemed to get things up and running again but still have generic icons for all Firefox saved shortcuts, startup items in taskbar showing up in different order, not that it matters to me. Not sure if it did any other damage yet. As far as the shutdown and boot up they are still painfully slow, disk check still trying to run at startup.

Let me know what you think of all that! :-)

Fixlog.txt

• Root Admin

Might try another restart of the computer and see if that helps to smooth things out a bit. Then monitor the computer and let me know how it's running.

Pretty odd to have FRST64 crash though and normally a reinstall of MBAM corrects any startup or shutdown issues.

How long have you had the computer? Do you have your data backed up to an external drive?

The reason I ask is you might want to consider doing a factory restore. Not for our software, but if it's old and software like FRST crashing for no obvious reasons a good clean restore of Windows could possibly correct any issues like this. Not saying you have to, but something to consider.

Does the computer have built-in hardware diagnostics? Can you check the hard drive and see if it passes all the tests?

The FRST64 didn't crash it was the Dell Management Agent service that was stopped during the run that forced an unstoppable restart mid run of the FRST64.

Its a little over 2 years old and has been a very solid and reliable system. I do have the data backed up just hoping nothing in that backup is corrupted from this system.

I would like to do a system repair but of course the OEM version won't do that and I haven't been able to find a full version of 7 anywhere for a reasonable price, Microsoft will let you download it but only if you have a full version not an OEM version.

If at all possible I don't want to do a clean install as that is a weeks work to get everything back in place, settings and all stuff that won't restore in Outlook which is my major main program, loaded with business

I did run all the diagnostics and its a solid state drive for the system, all tests have passed. No doubt though there is something wrong with the system, if you look at the last screen shot of the startup something is wrong with the resgistry, also the screen shot from a few posts before that with all the red flags and such in the event window.

Did you see that the disk check is still trying to run at boot?

• Root Admin

Yes I saw the disk check entry, and I provided a fix to restore it to default and it said it was successful.

hklm\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\\BootExecute => value restored successfully

Is it still trying to run on restart?

I fully understand your reluctance about the rebuild and the time involved. I've been doing PC support now for over 20 years and I used to rebuild mine often, but try not do it anymore if I can help it as it does take a long time to get it back tot he way you want it. The good part though is that it is always so much faster when you rebuild it.

At this point without trying some more advanced process monitor and explorer tools from Microsoft, I'm not finding any reason why our program won't launch and run.

What is the Manufacturer, Make, and Model of the PC ?

Yeah it still is giving a countdown on startup to run.

The make model and specs are all in the first post if you scroll up.

I am ready to try anything even the more advance stuff, you also mentioned having QC look into it as well.

One of the shutdown/boot was much faster when I was going through the removal process, couldn't tell what may have effected that.

Icons for Firefox website links on desktop are still generic, tried several things to no avail to fix that too.

The computer doesn't run slow on anything now but restarts and boots, the internet and connection issues seem to have resolved on their own.

• Root Admin

Okay, let's try some clean up procedures first to see if that helps.

Please click on START and type in CMD.EXE and when it shows on the start menu right click and choose "Run as administrator" , then type in the following. We'll do a FULL disk check and not the quick one it normally tries to run.

CHKDSK  C:  /R

It will say it cannot lock the drive. Press the Y key to let it run on restart and then restart and let it run. It will take at least 10 minutes to run but can take hours to run. Let it run till completion.

On Windows 7 the disk check log is in the Event Logs under Application with a heading source of  Wininit

How to Read the Event Viewer Log for Check Disk (chkdsk) in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8

When done, please open the Event Viewer and locate the log where the disk check ran and copy/paste the results back here. It should be 5 steps to the scan and repair.

I'll check back on you again sometime tomorrow.

Thanks

Ron

Nice that the new program now incorporates all three programs into one.

I finally found the cmd to shut off the boot scan, so that is no longer an issue.

After installing the MBAM i got the first message (labeled First Issue attached) but after checking program before clicking "turn on" in the message if find that is is already running, so I am not sure why it gave this message.

I rebooted again and then got the (Error Issue attached) again clicked ok and eventually the program was up and running in the task bar.

The attached logs are from the last restart which is still slow, I did have one restart that was closer to normal times right after the program had been removed but the 2nd restart after that was slow again before reinstalling the program.

Still have generic Icons on desktop for Firefox links.

Thank you!

First issue.jpg

Last Error.jpg

boot.txt

shutdown.txt