Oh my gosh!!! I used Malewarebytes to deleted alot of files back on October 19th. I thought the files were all bad and I deleted them without a true understanding of what I was doing. Over the last several weeks, I have noticed that many of my file folders are empty and they used to be full of files, and today, I realized what happened....I accidentally deleted an important file I need. I can't believe I did this....it's my fault, but I really thought I was deleting viruses or something. Is there anyway to retrieve the files???

I think the files I deleted still show in my malewarebytes history....what should I do?

Thanks in advance everyone! I need to really brush up on my technical skills, I know:(

• Root Admin

Hello @smiles8103

If the files were removed the normal way they may be able to be recovered. If a wipe routine was used then you won't be able to recover them.

I would highly recommend you stop using the computer. Then use another computer to read the following and then attempt data recovery. If possible remove the the drive and put it into another computer to access the data for recovery.

How To Recover Deleted Files

19 Free Data Recovery Software Tools

Though these tools are free, I've not tested all of them but I have a few and typically the free tools are not as good at data recovery as some of the paid software.

I have tested this software and have used it multiple times in a business so I know it works well. There are other paid versions that work well too, and its possible that one of the free ones might work for you.

GetDataBack

@AdvancedSetup I am not sure what you what you mean

3 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

If the files were removed the normal way

I just removed them through the malewarebytes system. I can't stop using the computer all together, but I can read this info on my phone and work on my computer that way. SO getbackdata is the one you would recommend? Even if it costs I am more than willing to pay to get the files back. I am just not sure what happens to the files when I click the delete button in malewarebytes...

Thank you so much for your guidance thus far!  appreciate it

16 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

We do a normal delete, we're not wiping them. Please read those articles I posted and they'll guide you on how to do the data recovery.

That is such a relief!! I will read EVERYTHING today. It's Saturday and I am making the time. I will post here shortly. Thank you again!!

• Root Admin

If it really is/was that critical as that article should have told you and I mentioned. The BEST thing to do is stop using the computer. Remove the hard drive and install it as a slave drive in another computer. Purchase GetDataBack and run it on that drive, or take it to a computer repair shop that specializes in data recovery. Every second and minute you use the computer after a file is deleted makes it harder and harder to ever recover that file. If Recuvva say's it's overwritten, it probably is and cannot be recovered.

Sorry, to be the bearer of bad news but free quick recovery is rarely possible. Often it takes money and an understanding of what you're doing and what steps to take,. and why I said you need to read that article all the way so you have a better understanding of what to do. If you've been using the computer all along you can pretty much assume you will not be able to recover some files. Possibly others you might be able to but one should never keep using the computer if you want to recover data. This helps to point out why backups are so important.

Backup Software

Best of luck

• 3 weeks later...

Truly agree with the admin words.

The chances of recovery of an overwritten file are very minimal. The best and safest option is to immediately take backup on some other hard drive of your existing data, to save yourself further from any data loss. Alternatively, you can once try you luck with Stellar file recovery software. I used this software in past and successfully recovered my deleted files back. Hope you also recovered. Good Luck!!