Cannot delete MBAE64.SYS

Wanted to install the latest product (paid user) as the standalone MBAB won't run under my windows 10 pro and Windows says "This product is not compatible with Windows 10).

So I downloaded the latest beta and it says it cannot update MBAE64.sys and I cannot even delete it as Windows says "It is in use".

I've followed all the hints throughout the forum to uninstall, reboot, download latest but no matter what, MBAE64 will not go.

And why is an apparently 64 bit driver sitting in the Windows\System32\Drivers directory?

Hi.
What is the Version and build number of the WIN10 O.S. ?

What ( if any) Malwarebytes software was previously installed  and now installed on this system?

Would you please go to the Start button and then the RUN option.
type in

msinfo32

and tap Enter-key. This starts the Microsoft System Information tool.  Allow enough time for the applet to load and finish.

Look on first screen on the menu bar.
Select File > EXPORT ...
then provide a meaningful file name and save that.   Then also attach that file in a new reply so that we can see some other basic information about your hardware & operating system information.

• 1 month later...

I'm having the same problem, Mbae64.sys will not delete, and I'm the administrator. I keep getting an error saying DeleteFile Failed code:5 Access Denied. And this is a brand new PC with only one account. I can't even rename or delete the file manually. Please help. I've already tried restarting, using a program called Unlocker, creating another administrator User, and reinstall Malwarebyes, but none of these work for me. I have tried contacting my computer manufacturer, but they say for me to contact you guys.

When you re-install Malwarebytes, have you tried clicking ignore on the MBAE64.sys error? For some reason that driver hasn't stopped, which is why you can't remove the file. You can also try the following instructions to remove the MBAE64.sys file and then perform a full clean install.

1. Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to your desktop
  2. Then download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.
    Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
    **After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.
  3. Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.
    Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  4. Click the Fix button and then restart
  5. When the process has finished, it will save a log in the same directory the tool was run from.
  6. You should now be able to install Malwarebytes. If you cannot, please upload the fixlog.txt file from the same folder where you ran FRST

fixlist.txt

Edited by dcollins

This has been a problem since beta for me. I am using Win 10 Pro 64-bit which was an upgrade from Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Malwarebytes 3.0 is unable to update mbae64.sys, so I eventually get to a point where Exploit Protection no longer turns on.

I have to uninstall and go into safe mode to remove residual drivers like mbae64.sys, so that I can do a clean reinstall.

3 hours ago, dcollins said:

When you re-install Malwarebytes, have you tried clicking ignore on the MBAE64.sys error? For some reason that driver hasn't stopped, which is why you can't remove the file. You can also try the following instructions to remove the MBAE64.sys file and then perform a full clean install.

2. Then download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/ and save it to your desktop.
    **After you click the Download Now 64-bit, or the Download Now 32-bit, another page will open — DO NOT CLICK ANY ADDITIONAL 'download now' buttons, just wait and look toward the bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save.
    Note: If you are prompted by Windows SmartScreen, click More info followed by Run anyway.
  5. When the process has finished, it will save a log in the same directory the tool was run from.
  6. You should now be able to install Malwarebytes. If you cannot, please upload the fixlog.txt file from the same folder where you ran FRST

fixlist.txt

Thank you so much! I've been searching high and low for a solution. And it's been waiting here all along! It was just annoying me so much, forr a second I thought my administrator account was corrupted or something. Thanks to everyone else that tried to help!  

I recently uninstalled Malwarebytes 3.0.5. When I reinstalled it, the installer could not overwrite/create a new "Mbae64.sys" file. I cancleled the installation, then tried to delete the Win32/Driver/Mbae64.sys file - Windows notified me that the file was in use. So, I rebooted, then renamed the file to Mbae64.sys.bak; the renaming worked, I rebooted again, and I was able to delete the Mbae64.sys.bak file.

I ran the installation for Malwarebytes 3.0.5 and it suceeded without flagging the Mbae64.sys file.

I thought I'd mention my experience, because it was possible for me to manually delete the Mbae64.sys file.

-- Bob

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2017 at 5:49 PM, dcollins said:

fixlist.txt

Hello. I seem to be running into the same problem and tried the FRST method, but it did not work. I have attached the Fixlog.txt included.

Fixlog.txt

On 1/3/2017 at 4:49 PM, dcollins said:

fixlist.txt

It didn't work for me either...
Please help

Fixlog.txt

18 minutes ago, dcollins said:

@Kekemato and @Froboy, is MBAM still installed on your machines? From those logs, it looks like it might be. I would first attempt a full uninstall of MB3 and see if that resolves the issues for you. If not, then try to run the instructions again and provide a new log if there are still issues

Still didn't work. I've already uninstalled MBAM and managed to delete the remaining "Malwarebytes" folder in the program folder by renaming and deleting but mbae64.sys will not go away.

Fixlog.txt

Win 10 Pro 64 bit - fresh install of OS and Mbytes - upon starting Mbytes = new version offered = accepted = reinstall failure
Uninstallated ver 3 & still could not fresh install 3.0.5 = result same = unable to delete mbae64 & neither  MBAMChameleon.sys

did try the above instructions - NO GO 
either as User (with administrators right) and as a "real" administrator & unable to delete / rename even when using program called Unlocker 1.9.2 (usually very good with "stubborn" locked files) + was unable to take(change) file ownership = ??
rebooted to safe mode & tried once more with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool  - nothing found-nothing to fix BUT managed to delete both of the files

rebooted to "normal" user account and successfully (fresh) installed Mbytes 3.0.5
hope this helps 
Thank you for your Mbytes program

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this will work for you, but it worked for me. I use Microsoft Windows 10 Home ver. 10.0.14393 Build 14393, if you are likewise this should work.

1. Navigate to C:\Windows\system32\drivers
  2. Find mbae64.sys, right click and select rename, and change it to mbae64.old
  3. Now try to install new Malwarebytes, it will be installed without any issues.

Found this very simple work around from http://techdows.com/2016/12/fix-malwarebytes-3-0-installation-mbae64-sys-error.html#comment-132040