Computer Freezing When Connected to Internet-Malwarebytes Can't Update

Hello,

Sorry to add to your workload.  I will try to exercise brevity but give you all the info.

Running Windows 7 on HP with an AMD quad core processor. Computer appx 5 years old.  All Windows updates done automatically, routinely.  McAfee anti-virus installed.  This past Saturday, our power went out.  I believe the computer was on.  When I restarted Sunday, the computer began to freeze up--nothing worked and mouse cursor would not move.  Started in Safe Mode and disabled non Microsoft start up programs.  Restart froze when I double clicked on IE icon.  No window ever opened.  Disconnected all internet access and restarted. All restore points are gone except one from Sunday morning (I did check the box to show more).  Am able to use some features but computer locks up when I try to do a scan with McAfee.  Double clicking on IE icon does nothing--no browser window opens.  Downloaded MBAM on a non infected computer and loaded on usb.  Copied to desktop and ran in chameleon mode.  Tried to briefly enable wireless so updates would work but computer freezes again.  I am sure there is something I have left out.  I am stuck and desperately needing help.

Hello and :welcome:

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them.
Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button. button.

x5o4gh.png

• It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.

• The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

Thank you very much sir.  I have been following you on these boards since this problem cropped up and I was hoping I would get you!  

I am on East Coast time (North Carolina).  I will do as you requested this evening sometime after 6:00 pm when I arrive home from work.

Can't thank you enough for your assistance and time.  Look forward to working with you.  

Hello,

2eyjdoj.png Check Disk

• Press the WindowsKey.png on your keyboard. Type cmd and right click >> Run as Administrator.
  • Copy/Enter the command below and press Enter:
    chkdsk C: /r
  • You should get a message to schedule Check Disk at next system restart. Please type Y and press Enter.
  • All you should do now is to restart your PC and let the Check Disk process finish uninterrupted.

Check Disk report:

• Press the WindowsKey.png + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type powershell.exe and click OK.
  • Copy and paste the following command inside powershell window and press Enter:
    get-winevent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt
  • Paste the contents into your next reply.