Unable to detect searchtabnew.com, but it blocks it

KarenLee

Hi Karen,

I had a similar problem, where something on my computer keeps trying to connect to guruaid.com, a malicious website that is blocked by Trend Micro (Thank God).

Malwarebytes nor Trend Micro can find the source. After some research, I found that I can help myself by blacklisting or blocking the file from "phoning home".

• If you're on Windows, you can edit the host file to add searchtabnew.com to the list of websites you want to block (see attachment).

1) Go to: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and copy the host file and save it to your desktop (It will not have an extension like my sample file)

2) Right click and open with Notepad (You might need to Run as Administrator).

3) Add this to the end of file: 127.0.0.1       searchtabnew.com (like in my sample).

4) Save the file and drag and drop it back into the etc folder

The site is now blocked and you, the infected file or program will not be able to access the site. I would definitely uninstall/reinstall your favorite browser too.

NOTE: To test the host file, add google.com, yahoo.com or your favorite website to the host file. The website should now be blocked. Don't forget to delete the test site from the host file so you can visit the site again.

RKill from bleepingcomputer.com is designed to detect and kill malware that is running processes on your computer. maybe it might pick up something that Malwarebytes cannot.

From Bleepingcomputer.com:

RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections. When RKill runs it will kill malware processes and then removes incorrect executable associations and fixes policies that stop us from using certain tools. When finished it will display a log file that shows the processes that were terminated while the program was running.

Hopes this helps you.

hosts.txt

Ken,  I followed your instructions to the letter and it still did not block the site from preventing me to search from the browser.  I had already tried to uninstall and reinstall the browser, but that failed as well.  I ran RKill also, but it found nothing.  I'm going to try and uninstall it and remove the entire contents of the browser from my computer and then reinstall it.  I am able to open sites from my bookmarks, but cannot do any searches without services.searchtabnew.com from trying to redirect me, but am so grateful that malewarebytes is blocking them every time.