Compatibility of MBAM with Bitdefender?

I have a used MBAM Premium for years and have just started using Bitdefender.  

Bitdefender will not update if MBAM is running.  They tell me I have to uninstall it.  I don't want to because every now and then it catches something! They say I am making a mistake; running two programs just makes each less effective.

What do you  think?  Is there anyway to make the two co-exist?  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Toller said:

I have a used MBAM Premium for years and have just started using Bitdefender.  

Bitdefender will not update if MBAM is running.  They tell me I have to uninstall it.  I don't want to because every now and then it catches something! They say I am making a mistake; running two programs just makes each less effective.

What do you  think?  Is there anyway to make the two co-exist?  Thanks.

I'm not sure if this will work, others might have better ideas but did you try excluding each other?

Just go to your AntiVirus Exclusions & exclude  C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MbamPt.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\assistant.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMWsc.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbamtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\MBAMService.exe 

Toller:

Welcome to the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Forum.  I have used Bitdefender successfully for years with MBAM Premium and MBAE Premium.  I am now running Bitdefender 2017 Total Security, and for a change, I didn't even have to uninstall MBAM or MBAE to upgrade from BDTS2016 to BDTS2017.

As recommended, I did set exclusions in Bitdefender for both MBAM and MBAE.  For MBAM, you want to add these files, located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, to the virus scanning exclusion list in Bitdefender:

1. mbam.exe
  2. mbamdor.exe
  3. mbampt.exe
  4. mbamresearch.exe
  5. mbamscheduler.exe
  6. mbamservice.exe

I have installed Bitdefender and MB products on computers belonging to friends and again, they are not having any issues.

Within MBAM, it would not hurt to add the Bitdefender folder, under "Setting", "Malware Exclusions".  The Bitdefender folder is located in either C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) depending on whether your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Hope this helps.  Let us know how it goes.  Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

On 11/26/2016 at 7:56 AM, garioch7 said:

Toller:

Welcome to the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Forum.  I have used Bitdefender successfully for years with MBAM Premium and MBAE Premium.  I am now running Bitdefender 2017 Total Security, and for a change, I didn't even have to uninstall MBAM or MBAE to upgrade from BDTS2016 to BDTS2017.

As recommended, I did set exclusions in Bitdefender for both MBAM and MBAE.  For MBAM, you want to add these files, located in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, to the virus scanning exclusion list in Bitdefender:

1. mbam.exe
  2. mbamdor.exe
  3. mbampt.exe
  4. mbamresearch.exe
  5. mbamscheduler.exe
  6. mbamservice.exe

I have installed Bitdefender and MB products on computers belonging to friends and again, they are not having any issues.

Within MBAM, it would not hurt to add the Bitdefender folder, under "Setting", "Malware Exclusions".  The Bitdefender folder is located in either C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) depending on whether your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit.

Hope this helps.  Let us know how it goes.  Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Actually, Toller was the one w/ the issue. I was trying to give him some advice but I left the rest to yens to help him. > https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/191112-compatibility-of-mbam-with-bitdefender/#comment-1074801 <

3 hours ago, Toller said:

Phil,

Thanks for the help, but sadly, that didn't help.  My problem is getting error code 5 errors when it tries to update, as attached.  They stop when I turn off MBAM, but I don't want to turn it off.

BD says the only fix is to get rid of MBAM.

Any advice?

BD.JPG

Hope the MBAM Pros here can help you fix this ^_^

Toller:

BD always stipulates that you should only have one security solution.  Most anti-virus providers do adopt that same position because not all anti-malware products are created equal.  As I stated, I have not had issues.

If I was you, I would deactivate your MBAM (make note of your licence key/ID), and use the MBAM Clean tool to remove it entirely, and then reboot.  While MBAM is gone, I would go to the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, right click Bitdefender, and select the "Repair" option.  After the repair completes, reboot (it should ask you to do that), and then reinstall your MBAM and reactivate it.  Make sure that the recommended exceptions are added back to BD.  That could well solve your problem.

Please let me know how you make out.  There is the option of using the Bitdefender Support Tool, but then you have to convince BD Tech Support to move past their scripted "Use only one security solution" answer.  I have been able to get them to investigate in the past when there were occasional hiccups, often because of one their builds/signature databases.

Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

remember:

You might want to check out the post at this link by Quietman7, one of Bleeping Computer's foremost security experts.

As far as I know, currently, only Emsisoft Malware combines anti-virus and anti-malware functionality.  Malwarebytes is beta-testing their Version 3 of Anti-Malware, which will also combine those functionalities, when released.

If you are relying solely on Bitdefender, you do not have complete protection against all strains of malware, which includes PUPs, adware, some browser hijackers, etc.

Personally, I will stay with my Bitdefender 2017 Total Security, PLUS MBAM Premium and MBAE Premium.  It is much better to prevent infection, than detect it later and have to clean up from it, IF you can.

Just my two cents, and please, no offence intended.  Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil

Hi garioch7,

Emsisoft has a detection rate of 93.7%.

I used MBAM premium and an antivirus for years, on multiple PC's (to be more specific , 3 pc's) . In several years I NEVER got a detection from MBAM , regardless of the style of browsing.

Some PC's are not even in my house, and when I have a chance to check the MBAM's quarantine, is.......empty.

Running an AV and MBAM Premium is a strategy of the past; that's why they try to transform, miraculously, MBAM from an antimalware to an antivirus.

I tend to agree with BD: "always  you should only have one security solution"

22 hours ago, Toller said:

Just last month MBAM caught something.  I don't know if it slipped by BD or what, but it caught something.  Okay, it was the first thing in 5 years, but still it was something.

Are you willing to pay $25/year for an antimalware which will catch "something" once every 5 years?

That "something" should be in your quarantine, send it to Virus Total and see how "malicious" it was.

59 minutes ago, remember said:

Are you willing to pay $25/year for an antimalware which will catch "something" once every 5 years?

With that in mind...

How much do you pay for your car insurance or home insurance?  Are you willing to continue to pay that just in case something happens?  Its basically the same concept, you are paying for the security of having it just in case something happens.

1 hour ago, remember said:

That "something" should be in your quarantine, send it to Virus Total and see how "malicious" it was.

It got deleted when I tried to fix it by reinstalling it.

I have a lifetime license, so it is free moving forward; except for preventing BD from working.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 9:50 AM, Firefox said:

With that in mind...

How much do you pay for your car insurance or home insurance?  Are you willing to continue to pay that just in case something happens?  Its basically the same concept, you are paying for the security of having it just in case something happens.

I pay for ONE  comprehensive  insurance policy ONLY ; I do not pay for multiple policies ,just in case one will not cover something.

Same concept, you are paying for ONE policy, you keep paying it even though you may or may not get into an accident.  You keep paying for a whole year, if you don't have any claims, they you (as well as I) feel that our money went nowhere.  But its a security, we pay for it just in case something happens.

Same concept for Malwarebytes, if you have it installed as Premium you have it there in case something tries to get through.

Edited by Firefox

37 minutes ago, Firefox said:

Same concept, you are paying for ONE policy, you keep paying it even though you may or may not get into an accident.  You keep paying for a whole year, if you don't have any claims, they you (as well as I) feel that our money went nowhere.  But its a security, we pay for it just in case something happens.

Same concept for Malwarebytes, if you have it installed as Premium you have it there in case something tries to get through.

You did not get it!

What I am advocating is NOT to install and run (an pay) multiple security solutions, when one of them has high level of performance , 100% in AV test in the last year.

You will accomplish NOTHING adding another security solution (MBAM) on top of this one, other than running in conflicts , more or less visible.

MBAM was designed for a niche market, to cover zero days in the past, where most of AV's performed poorly. Now you have AV's with 100% detection on zero days (see AV Test) so running an yearly subscription for MBAM is a waste of money and PC resources (high RAM).

Hence the desire to transform MBAM 3.0 in a fully flagged antivirus.

Its really pretty simple, if you don't want to pay for it, or buy it that is your prerogative, no one is forcing you to buy it or pay for it.  The protection you use on your computer is up to you. 

This forum is a Malwarebytes forum to support its products, not an antivirus forum or a forum to compare products.

I for one own a lifetime license so I am not paying anything since I already own my license. There are many folks that have a lifetime already as well.