MBAE & Chrome

Morrile

Same for me. I was running MBAI premium v1.08.x and today Chrome 64 bit on Windows 10 wouldn't load. MBAI flashed a message that Chrome is now protected but Chrome never displayed. Checked Task Manager and there was no process for Chrome.

Prior to today both apps coexisted fine. I'm not sure if there was Chrome update today.

Upgraded to MBAI 1.09.1.1261 with no improvement.

After trial and error found that disabling MBAI allows Chrome to load fine.

At first I thought Chrome was damaged, uninstalled and attempted to reinstall. With MBAI running the Chrome installer failed with an unspecified error. Disable MBAI and Chrome installs and runs fine.

And it is now the same for me as of a few hours ago. I am running the most updated version of Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, and Chrome will no longer launch unless MBAI is disabled. What is the point of having a product that is no longer compatible with your default browser?

Did the same in reinstalling Chrome through Firefox, and not working still.

For a company that works hard to prevent exploits, it appears to have made a real booboo here.

Malwarebytes ... FIX THE .... PROBLEM ASAP or roll-back your recent update because it is affecting the end user experience.

would confirm not working. clicking on chrome or firefox will run the process but then will auto kill it. running win 10 x64 pro, mbae version 1.09.1.1261 premium, KIS 2016 IS 17.0.0.611(b)

steps taken:

1. uninstalling MBAE, rebooting, deleting anti exploit from programdata and programfiles, rebooting and clean install. no effect

2. updating to the beta version 1.09.1.1264 and 1.09.1.1266 from

On 11/17/2016 at 3:07 AM, Rsullinger said:

Hello Hake,

Just as a test, can you try to do a clean re-install to that 1261 (not an upgrade) and see if it fixes it? I just want to test something that was reported to me. If that does not fix it still, try this new build 1264 and see if it fixes it:

https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/83akrg3qny018gnjs20txz242148hy67

On 11/19/2016 at 4:07 AM, Rsullinger said:

Hello Grunf,

We have a test build we want to see works for the issue that you are having. This build can be found here:

https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/n6cdj8wss05jlepevauf5lwowlq2g9bg

If possible, please do an un-install of the previous one and use this clean tool after to cleanup any leftover files: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=199258 (note: this will be the same one I left before for anyone trying the steps earlier in the thread). After you do that, reboot and try that build. Please let me know of any feedback on the build! 

no effect. MBAE doesn't even work when tested using the mbae-test which injects into the calc app.

3. disabling MBAE then opening chrome and firefox then reeanabling MBAE. firefox crashes

4. adding MBAE to KIS IS exclusion. no effect.

5. downgrading to 1.09.1.1235 and doing a clean install like step 1. no effect.

currently disabled pending remediation.

Edited by coconutnut

Same problem started 11/24/2016.

KIS 16.0.0.614(h)

MBAE 1.09.1.1261

This problem only stopping my 64 bit browsers from launching.

Firefox 64 bit launch error "XPCOM failed to load".

I am running Firefox 50 Portable which includes 32 and 64 bit executables.

When I removed the 64 bit executable, Firefox opened with no problem.

Also running portable 32 bit Chrome and a 64 bit version.

32 bit Chrome launches with no problem.

Many thanks for other adding their comments for Chrome, so I am not alone. I do have Firefox and that works fine and I did install Chrome Canary yet that also get's blocked. So I am guessing it's now a waiting game until a solution is found? 

45 minutes ago, Morrile said:

Many thanks for other adding their comments for Chrome, so I am not alone. I do have Firefox and that works fine and I did install Chrome Canary yet that also get's blocked. So I am guessing it's now a waiting game until a solution is found? 

yeah. so in the mean time, just be more cautious.

3 hours ago, ProblemChild said:

Same problem started 11/24/2016.

KIS 16.0.0.614(h)

MBAE 1.09.1.1261

This problem only stopping my 64 bit browsers from launching.

Firefox 64 bit launch error "XPCOM failed to load".

I am running Firefox 50 Portable which includes 32 and 64 bit executables.

When I removed the 64 bit executable, Firefox opened with no problem.

Also running portable 32 bit Chrome and a 64 bit version.

32 bit Chrome launches with no problem.

and can confirm this. 32 bit works fine but 64 bit just dies.

I just got MBAE yesterday installed version 1.09.1.1261 Chrome Version Version 54.0.2840.99 m (64 Bit)

I try to open Chrome and it closes immediately. I can't see Chrome try to open. Ccleaner popped up to clean it. So it's trying.

I turned off Ccleaner, no joy.

I turned off MBAE and Chrome opens. the Mbae says that Google Chrome is now protected. I'm going to see it it will work now.

MBAE shows in the log that "Google Chrome and plugins are now protected" Chrome still won't open with MBAE on, but the blocked exploit attempts shows 0 still.

I can start MBAE after Chrome is open and Chrome stays up, but I can't open another Chrome window.

Disabled my Chrome plugins and it won't start with MBAE enabled. 

Well, some good news. Chrome is working as before. Whilst MBAE is still version 1.09.1.1261 I was disabling it just to open Chrome and then re-enable to be on the safe side yet now I don't. Chrome opens without any problems whilst MBAE is fully enabled. Not sure what has changed as I have not made any changes my end, so I am assuming an update to MBAM has fixed it.