Windows 7 Shutdown time increases from 15 secs to 5 mins

conehead

After having installed Windows Security Update KB3197868 which is the Windows 7, Nov, 2016 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 64 bit, my shutdown time went from 15 seconds to 5  minutes. After fiddling with  MSCONFIG, I determined the hangup was due to service MB3Service . If I click on "Stop Protection", in the Anti-Ransomeware Dashboard, the problem goes away.This started to happen immediately after installing KB3197868.

Hello conehead:

" Why do you ask?"

It is seen that an earlier duplicate topic was been opened with the business department folks.

Reference: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/190824-windows-shutdown-time-increased-from-15-secs-to-5-minutes/

A request to a forum Administrator/Moderator to delete the earlier duplicate topic will be made as this topic here is the most valid.

Using the native Windows built-in zip utility, please create the following, separate, .zip (not .7z or .rar) archive files for MBARW developer team analysis:

"C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware\"
                                 "C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\"
                                 "C:\ProgramData\MalwarebytesARW\"

Please attach the .zip archives to your next reply.  Thank you for your beta testing contribution to the Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware (MBARW Beta) project and your valued feedback.

Edited by 1PW

Hello conehead:

Please try the following MBARW Beta8 uninstall & re-install procedure:

1. Delete any and all previous copies of MBARW_Setup.exe and perform a conventional Windows-based uninstall of MBARW Beta8 followed by a system restart to Normal boot mode.
  2. Then, download a fresh copy of the MBARW_Setup.exe to the system's Administrator desktop only.
  3. Right-click the saved MBARW_Setup.exe file and left-click RunAsAdmin.jpg  Run as administrator from the context menu and continue.  <===IMPORTANT!
  4. Upon a successful installation, restart the computer in a conventional manner to the Windows Normal boot mode.
  5. After MBARW Beta's license activation completion, check to see if several W7 shutdowns show if the issue is resolved.

When possible, please reply to this topic with your system's status.  Thank you again for your beta testing contribution.

Hello conehead:

"...appears to be the same version I was running."

Yes - the above amounted to a careful re-install of MBARW Beta8 with special attention to file/folder ownership and installation integrity.

I will be sending have sent an escalation request to Malwarebytes management directly.

Thank you again.

Edited by 1PW

https://www.askwoody.com/2016/malwarebytes-stumbles-with-false-positive-on-kb-3197868-the-win7-november-monthly-rollup/

The above link is a discussion of problems with Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware since the installation of Windows Security Update KB3197868.

Not only did my shutdown problem with Anti-Ransomware start with that update but many others have had problems with Anti-Malware. Please look at comments in  the above link. Maybe there is some connection affecting both  products.

Edited by conehead
I added a sentence

Good evening @conehead, while we haven't received any other reports of the issue you linked also impacting Anti-Ransomware, it definitely has some similar symptoms. As such, can you add the following process exclusion to Microsoft Security Essentials on your system please. To do so, follow the steps below.

1. Open Microsoft Security Essentials
  2. Go to Setting sand click Excluded processes
  3. Click Browse and navigate to C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Ransomware\MB3Service.exe
  4. Click Add and then save changes
  5. Restart the computer and then restart once more to confirm if the issue is fixed

@conehead sorry for the delay over the holiday weekend, however it looks like Microsoft pulled KB3197868 and then re-issued it. Can you try removing the update and re-instaling it to see if this solves your problem?

*EDIT*

Nevermind, still seeing the issue on my test machine as well. We'll keep researching on our end

Edited by dcollins

Still having the same problem.

I have done the following:

1. Uninstalled KB3197868

2. Uninstalled Anti-Ransomware

3. Rebooted

4. Installed the  reissued KB3197868

5. Rebooted

6. Reinstalled Anti-Ransomeware

7. Rebooted

8. Rebooted

After all that, nothing has changed. Still having lengthy shutdown  time.