PUPs after install

I installed Avira recently and it came with Augslogics Boost Speed. I believe this is a legit program but MWB doesn't seem to like it. It calls out: PUP.optional.AuglogicsBoostSpeed. I put in an exclusion for it: C\programfiles(x86)\auslogics. It still comes up with them after that exclusion. What am I doing wrong or is this a bad program? Thanks --

Here is the reason its being detected:

If you are sure you want to keep this PUP here is How To Exclude Items

If you are absolutely sure you want to exclude all those items here is what you do (below is just an example of some detected items, not necessarily the ones you have).

1. First perform a scan so that all the items get detected

2. Once the scan is complete and items have been detected that you want to exclude, uncheck the box labeled Threats as shown in the picture below with the RED ARROW
5820ec62d9eee_foundthreats.thumb.jpg.c56

3. That will then uncheck all items at one time as shown below
5820ece5d351d_foundthreatsunchecked.thum

4. Now click on NEXT and you will be asked what you want to do with the detected items, choose Ignore Always
5820ed83b9673_alwaysignore.jpg.6861b4568

5. Now all those items will be added to your ignore list and will no longer be detected

Edited by Firefox

Thanks so much for info - a question - these are not necessarily harmful? They are just not effective according to some users.  Also, should I delete the ones tagged as PUP out of quarantine or should I restore them and then do a new scan? and follow your instructions from above response. Thanks again.

That is a good question.  If you want all those programs that got installed then you need to restore the first, reboot, then run another scan and follow the instructions.

As for them being harmful, I can not say without looking at your scan log.  Its your choice as to weather you want to keep a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)

Thanks for answer. Shall I send you one of the scan logs so you can see the program? Also, my desktop has a bad hard drive all of a sudden. I have premium MWB installed on it and would like to move it to this laptop, Is that possible? If so, I have a second problem. I am in the midst of a house move and all my files with license codes etc are packed. Would I be able to retrieve that from your records? Life gets complicated sometimes, eh?

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 9:37 AM, Dublin70 said:

Shall I send you one of the scan logs so you can see the program?

You can post your scan logs for review...

Also, my desktop has a bad hard drive all of a sudden.

What told you that you now have a bad hard drive?

I have premium MWB installed on it and would like to move it to this laptop, Is that possible?

Yes your premium license can be transferred from one computer to another see How do I transfer my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware license to a different computer?

Would I be able to retrieve that from your records?

You should contact cleverbridge.....

If you lost your ID and License Key then send an email to: cs@cleverbridge.com

cs@cleverbridge.com
Phone: +1-866-522-6855
Monday - Friday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM (CST)
Also, their contact info can be found HERE.

When you get the email Print it out

Malwarebytes Tech support does not have any access to, or information pertaining to any sales\shipping\user account\registration issues.

You may also try and look up your product info by using your registered email address HERE or HERE

If you need anything else, don’t hesitate to post.

Thanks for all the good info. I will post one of the scans that showed 169 PUPs for that program. I cannot access drive so maybe not dead, but maybe faulty. In any case, cannot boot into Windows. I am currently in a state of suspension - staying at a friend's house until my new house is built.  Am going to try to revive desktop (faulty drive) when I get resettled. If not able to do so, I will proceed with your instructions to transfer premium license. Thanks again. 

On 19/11/2016 at 8:33 AM, Dublin70 said:

Thanks so much for info - a question - these are not necessarily harmful?

Sorry for jumping in the thread so late in the game, even though @Firefox covered it nicely! 

"PC Booster/Tune Up" programs are part of the worst programs you can install on a system. When it comes to messing up your system (Windows), these are as worst as malware. They are completely worthless and useless to use. The worst is that they'll often take action on your system without you knowing, nor authorizing it, which could lead to your system being altered in a way you don't want it to be or even worst, a "broke" system. Every feature they provide, you can either do it natively under Windows, do it via another standalone executable (which is way easier and safer to use) or they aren't providing something you need. Here's a few examples:

• Cleaning temporary files: TFC (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Cleanmgr.exe (built-in);
  • Managing start-up entries: Autoruns (standalone executable), CCleaner (installed), Task Manager and Registry Editor (built-in);
  • Driver Updater: Not needed, all you need is to go on your manufacturer website so you'll be sure to get the right, official, working drivers for your computer or hardware;
  • Registry Cleaner/Defragger: Completely useless and also dangerous;
  • Disk Defragging: Disk Defrag (built-in), O&O Disk Defrag (installed), Defraggler (installed);
  • Powerful uninstaller: Not needed, only needed when you have to make sure a program is completely uninstalled. Revo Uninstaller and GeekUninstaller are two good alternatives;
  • "Enhanced" Task Manager: ProcExp from Sysinternals Suite (standalone executable), Process Hacker (portable or installed);
  • "Active security": Any Antivirus and Antimalware can beat that, easily. These programs aren't made to replace Antivirus or Antimalware products and shouldn't be seen as such;
  • Repair bad sectors on a hard drive: Simple chkdsk /r command under Windows (built-in);

Having such program installing on your system will just bloat it down and you have more chances to have issues by using them than without. These products are advertised as a program that can solve all your issues, remove every malware, speed up your computer performance over 100%, etc. The truth is that there's not a single program that can do that. First of all, these programs aren't made to remove virus and malware, leave this in the hands of Antivirus and Antimalware, period. Secondly, there's so many kind of issues under Windows that there's not a single program that can address them all. If you think that BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) issues can be solved by opening a program and clicking on a "Fix" button, then I'm sorry to tell you but, you're wrong. Also, you cannot boost the performance of a hardware over it's hardware capabilities. Of course you can overclock some components, like your CPU, RAM and GPU, but these aren't done via these programs, but via your BIOS interface. I could recommend you a program for every feature these programs advertise, and also tell you exactly in detail why most of them are completely useless, such as Registry cleaner (dangerous to use), and driver updater (dangerous to use, and also completely useless, it'll not improve your system performance). In the end, buying such programs is the exact same as being scammed (because this is what it is, a pure scam) and using one of these programs will result you in having a system less performant than prior to using it.

Relevant articles if you want to read more about PC Boosters/Optimizers and why they are useless:

Wow - thanks for thorough and enlightening discussion. It came as part of Auslogics defragger program. I downloaded the defragger as my built in defragger stopped working on this laptop. I will check out the others you mentioned and uninstall the whole Auglogics set. Thanks again. I'll also read all of your mentioned articles. Thanks very much.