MBAM suddenly taking much longer to run

Computer:  Virtual Machine running Windows XP and AVG antivirus.  No known malware.  All of a sudden (right after I paid my next years license fee on 11/14) the program takes much longer to run.  I have used MBAM on this machine for many years and it always takes about 20-25 minutes to run Threat Scan. Now it will get hung on pre-scan or heuristic analysis without any noticeable progress.  When I let runs go they take over 5 hours with 98% of CPU cycles going to MBAM (and still hung on heuristic analysis).  If I click to cancel the scan the command doesn't work - i\the scan continues to run (elapsed timer increasing) with screen all grayed out. 

The interesting thing is that I thought the program might be corrupted so I did an uninstall / delete program files folder and downloaded new copy  (2.2.1.1043).  I did not clean out the registry entries..  Did a reboot, Installed new copy.  All my settings and automated scheduled scan and license info automatically populated the new install.  I ran threat scan which took 20 minutes.  All was good.  Next day my automated scheduled run took over 5 hours and failed again.  No malware has been found in any of the scans.

Can the registry entries be causing the problem.  Do I need to really do a clean install?

Should I kill the auto scheduled scan and create a new one?

Any other thoughts?

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes :)

Normally a clean reinstall solves this issue, so Let's try this first....

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs(the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  3. NOTE: More info about v2.2.1 HERE; User Guide ONLINE; User Guide PDF; FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

I followed your instructions and it appears to work.  I will test it over the next few days but looks good for now.  THANKS!

One interesting side note - MBAM-Clean did manage to wipe out all my settings (type, schedule, etc) but when I did the install it immediately re-attached my Activation ID and expiration date.  FYI.

Thanks again.

dbish

Your Welcome, I am glad the instructions seem to have worked for you.  Yes the MBAM Clean will remove all your settings, schedule, logs, quarantine etc.  Not sure how they are doing the licensing, so I can't comment on that, but its been reported by others that is stays as you mentioned, unless you deactivate it first. 

Latest update:  My scheduled threat scan ran the next day (Saturday)  and once again MBAM gets hung (remember that a successful scan take 20-25 minutes on this machine).  This one seemed to hang on pre-scan operations when it was running minimized.  When I switched focus to MBAM it finally made it past pre-scan and SLOWLY ran through the next steps until it got to Heuristics.  It processed some heuristics (about 50%) then hung without incrementing the files-analyzed counter.  After 4 hours I tried to cancel the scan (clicked yes to "do you want to cancel?") and then it grayed everything out and would not exit.  Finally, much later it exited and now says that a scan has never been run on the machine (one did complete yesterday).  In addition, I could not find the three log files you mention anywhere (did a file search for all three without success).

So, it still does not work.  Any other thoughts?

Dave

I don't want to hijack the thread but I wanted to let OP know that I'm having the same problem. I admit I usually do the custom scan while I'm off doing other stuff--it usually takes two hours. I thought it was suspicious it was going on 4 hours and the scan was still going before I canceled it out. I've already followed Firefox's instructions about a clean uninstall + reinstall. Not sure when I'll try to attempt a scan with the clean install, maybe tonight or tomorrow.

Update:  After my post of 11/20 I tried Firefox's process again - deactivate/ run MBAM Clean.  This time I then went into the application data and program file folders and deleted all folders tied to Malwarebytes.  Then went into the registry and did the same.  Nothing I deleted actually looked like it would have been a problem.  then rebooted, turned off AV, and did the install.  Once again it remembered my license info and nothing else.  Set all my preferences and ran a manual scan which worked fine.  I then allow the scheduled scans to run several times and this time they are proceeding smoothly.  keeping my fingers crossed.

dbidh

3 hours ago, Firefox said:

If you continue to have issues, please provide the requested logs from my post #2 above.... this will help us with the troubleshooting.

@blackroses84, all computers are different, please start your own topic and we can help you from there.

I'm hoping the clean uninstall + reinstall helped me. I'll start a new topic if I need to, I'm just crossing my fingers that it's all fixed. Like I said before, my intent wasn't to hijack the thread. I just wanted OP to know that his computer isn't the only one having this problem. 

Just checked my scheduled scan from 6:30 PST pm tonight.  Still running 3 hours later - hung in registry analysis this time.  It is taking 99% of CPU cycles and effectively shuts the computer down.  When i cancel it still hangs grayed out.  Have to kill it via windows task manager.

It ran successfully three times early today (i just kept changing the start time).  One note:  only the first scheduled scan from early this a.m. generated a scan log in the application logs page of MBAM.  I can see a one line entry from the other scans in the protection log.  Also, when I said in the schedule settings to write log results to "existing settings" I don't see them.  When I write them to a custom location I get xml files with results.  Still no malware found (yeah). 

Regarding the three log files you list - I did file searches and these files are not on my machine anywhere.

If you want the logs reviewed we will need them.  They are not automatically on your machine, they have to be generated by following the instructions below. You will download two tools and then run them which in turn will create the log files. You then upload them here.

We would need more info on the system....

Please read the following and in your next reply ATTACH the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs
(the three files should be CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt)

Thank You,

Firefox

• Root Admin

Hi there @dbish

Let's go ahead and temporarily uninstall your AVG antivirus. We can reinstall once done testing. Also, just so you're aware

Avast Announces Agreement to Acquire AVG for $1.3B

So, you may want to look at installing Avast when we're done or checking out our new beta, or another antivirus product beside AVG.

Announcing Beta of Malwarebytes 3.0, a Next-Generation Antivirus Replacement  

Malwarebytes 3.0 Public Beta Number 2

If you do decide to go with our beta then make sure you do a clean removal of MBAM and then install the latest beta.

Once you've uninstalled AVG, please restart the computer and let me know if the issues continue with MBAM or not. There are some other minor things going on with your system that we can look at cleaning up too once ready.

Thank you

Ron

Edited by AdvancedSetup

• Root Admin

Please open a command prompt and type the following.

CHKDSK C:  /R

It will say it cannot lock the drive. Press the Y key and tell it to run after a restart. Then press the Enter key and restart the computer and let the disk check run.

Once it's completed and the computer has restarted run this routine.

Please Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Download TFC from here and save it to your desktop.
  • http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double-click TFC.exe to run it on XP (for Vista and Windows 7 right click and choose "Run as administrator") and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so.
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

Next, run MBAM again and let us know if it's still hanging or not.

Edited by AdvancedSetup

This is a VMLite system (made by Oracle).  I am running a regular threat scan.  I attached a couple of screenshots with the options checked.  I have not changed any of these settingas and have run MBAM on this machine for many years in current setup without problem,

advanced settings.jpg

basic settings.jpg

scheduled scan options_settings.jpg

I let MBAM run all the way through last night.  It took 5.5 hours but did finish.  Are there any logs from the very long completed scan that you want me to capture?  I want to run the scheduled scan one more time after the defrag.  Don't expect that is the solution.  The MBAM hangs in Pre-scan operations (~60 minutes), registry (~30 min), and heuristics (~2+ hours).  I don't mind how long it takes except it uses 99% of CPU cycles pretty much ruining the machine for anything else.    Will run the scheduled scan and then send you FRST output.