Safe to delete in Mail while scanning?

Is it OK to delete emails in Mac's Mail program while MBAM's antivirus scan is running? Would that just cause the scan to potentially miss malware, or could it cause any issues with the Mail program/database?

I've seen where sometimes you're not supposed to use other programs while a scan is running, and I don't know if that's the case with MBAM for Mac. And if it is, then why -- could it cause problems?

Thank you.

• Staff

That's not something you need to worry about with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. If you happened to delete a file that it would have detected, that's not a problem... you'll have done the work for us! :)

Typically, scans with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac don't take very long anyway, so unless there's something very unusual about your computer, you'd be hard-pressed to do much work before it finishes scanning.

Thank you, Thomas!

So although it's OK to use the computer while a scan is running, would you say it's better in general to wait until the scan is finished (before deleting emails and so on), or does that just not matter? If it is better in general to wait, then why is that (speed, possibility of issues...)?

Thank you very much again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 17.11.2016 at 9:31 PM, treed said:

It really doesn't matter. You can do whatever you like while Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac is scanning.

Sorry for butting to old thread, but I'd like to clarify, that scan will run normally and find everything if there is anything, even if I have browser, LibreOffice and some folders open? I've always felt I need to close everything just in case to run a scan.

Edited by Yourai

• Staff

As stated, it is not necessary to close anything to scan for threats. It may be necessary to close your browser to remove extensions from that browser, but if that is necessary, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac will ask if you want it to do that for you. There's no need to close your browser in advance simply to scan the machine.