MBMC Reports Old Managed Client Versions

Not sure what the implications are, 98% of my clients are running the most recent Anti-Malware Version and relatively recent Database Versions, but I have a notable number of clients (which have recent anti-malware and database versions) which are running older version of the Managed Client. It has been over 2-3 months since we upgraded the Management Console to the latest release (1.7.0.3208)

My questions:

1. Does the installed version of the management client have any impact on the speed of updates or effectiveness of the scanning engine? (any impact to the safety of my clients)
  2. How do I go about deploying the latest version of the Management Client to my clients
  • Root Admin

Hello @PhillyPhotog

The latest version of the Malwarebytes Management Console is currently 1.70
The latest version of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Business is currently 1.80
The previous version of the client was 1.75

Yes, there are numerous changes and updates to the client that can help to protect it much better than the 1.75 client. Please see below or online.

Business Products Release History

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.80 / September 21, 2015

Improvements

Enhanced safeguards to prevent false positives on legitimate files
    Added substantial improvements to core detection and removal technology
    Added support for Windows 10 (32/64-bit)
    Added support for Windows Server 2003 (32-bit), Windows Server 2008/2008 R2 (32/64-bit), and Windows Server 2012/2012 R2 operating systems (excludes Server Core)
    Modified incremental database update process to allow 50 incremental updates before requiring a full database update

Issues Fixed

Fixed issue which caused BSOD when scanning a drive encrypted with BitLocker
    Resolved various issues that could result in crashes or system hangs

As for deployment please review the Malwarebytes Management Console Administrator Guide especially starting on page 36 which discusses deployment.

If that does not lead to a resolution of your issue then please contact Malwarebytes Business Technical Support for further assistance.

Thank you

Ron

Thanks for the response @AdvancedSetup.  I should have been a bit more detailed in my post. This is what I am seeing

Client Group A (~2% clients)

• Database Version 2016.11.17.15
  • Anti Malware Version 1.80.2.1012
  • Managed Client Version 1.7.0.3208

Client Group B (~96% clients)

• Anti Malware Version 1.80.1.1011
  • Managed Client Version 1.6.1.2897

Client Group C (~2% clients)

• Anti Malware Version 1.75.0.1300
  • Managed Client Version 1.4.1.2329

Is there an integrated upgrade engine / mechanism in the Management Console to address the Managed Client Version mismatches? 

Is there an integrated upgrade engine / mechanism in the Management Console to address the Anti-Malware Version mismatches?

So far, all I have found is the Client Push Install, which isn't the cleanest mechanism, since I have to be scanning at the particular time that a client system is online.  I was looking for something like Symantec Endpoint's upgrade mechanism, which forces managed clients to upgrade the next time they check in with the management server.

• Staff

Is there an integrated upgrade engine / mechanism in the Management Console to address the Managed Client Version and Anti-Malware Version mismatches? How do I go about deploying the latest version of the Management Client to my clients? 

Hi PhillyPhotog, I understand what you want to do but the Console isn't written in this way, it cannot be done automatically. To upgrade the Managed Client communicator and Anti-Malware build on an endpoint you must push a new install to them. This will upgrade the build over the top of the existing install. If you go third party, like GPO or SCCM, then the existing software must first be removed, the machine rebooted and then complete the install of the new version. This push install upgrade in the Console to upgrade the endpoint is step 7 of our upgrade instruction KB - https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1835539-how-do-i-upgrade-to-the-latest-version-of-the-malwarebytes-management-console-?b_id=6520

Does the installed version of the management client have any impact on the speed of updates or effectiveness of the scanning engine? (any impact to the safety of my clients)

Yes, for the scanning engine and the communicator.

The difference between 1.75.0.1300 and 1.80.2.1012 is pretty vast. First upgrade in over two years to the business build. There are numerous feature differences between the two versions, which is what AdvancedSetup had listed.

The biggest problem with version mismatch is the Managed Client communicator. There are newer policy / instruction settings contained in your Console 1.7.0.3208 than your outdated Managed Client communicator 1.4.1 and 1.6.1 versions will be able to process. This can result in machines that do not respond to scan or update commands, they may show as unregistered or offline, fail to submit logs and so on. The Managed Client version must always match your Console version.