Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition is pushing a software LiveUpdate.  Clients, so far with Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043, are getting a Symantec LiveUpdate popup stating, "LiveUpdate operations cannot finish.  It is blocked by the application: 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.2.1.1043'. Please remove the application and retry again."  When we remove Malwarebytes then the LiveUpdate does install.  I opened a ticket with Symantec and they say Malwarebytes isn't really blocking the install; when Symantec detects a competitors' product Symantec blocks the LiveUpdate.  Is Malwarebytes working with Symantec on this?  And is there a way to tell which computers are running the malwarebytes trial version versus the malwarebytes paid version?  Symantec and Malwarebytes have been able to be installed simultaneously until now!  Comments? 

Symantec LiveUpdate popup.jpg

Yes, not ours particularly, though. We're an IT company that monitors about 600 business and home computers, mostly businesses, and we started receiving phone calls Monday, 11/14, from our clients.  We don't know which computers clients have installed a paid version or trial version.  We can automatically uninstall a trial version with no harm done.

OK being that these are on a business system, and your an IT shop, I am going to have one of the MODS/ADMINS move your topic to the business section, where you will get better answers there for a business that is.  This section here is for the Consumer version of Malwarebytes.

That being said, if the business is using version 2.2.1.1043, that is not the business version.  The business version is 1.8 (I believe) so they will also need to get the proper version/licensing.

Thanks

Thank you!  Sounds good!  Also, this gives us some direction for advising our business client contacts about the appropriate product selection for their users.  Meanwhile, we'll be interested in learning whether or not Symantec will insist on uninstalling the Malwarebytes Business version.

• Root Admin

Hello @PCAmy

A couple of things. That version of MBAM is for Consumer use not for business use, though I'm sure the version does not matter to Symantec. I'm betting that it's simply propaganda from Symantec in an effort to get the user to uninstall MBAM. If we were blocking LiveUpdate there should be an entry in the MBAM Protection Logs showing us blocking an IP or alerting to a suspect file. If you can open the MBAM program and go to the History and then find the logs and post back the logs here for review, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm not expecting to find any entries, leading to the fact that this is a marketing, propaganda move by Symantec. If you can also check the Event Logs for any type of entry concerning this and let  us know.

Thank you and looking forward to hearing back from you on this issue so we can both get it resolved.

Ron Lewis

To clarify, Malwarebytes is not blocking anything.  Below is the response from Symantec.  Bottom line, Symantec will block their own LiveUpdate if they detect a competitor's product on the computer.  They are detecting Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043 and the LiveUpdate will not work until Malwarebytes is uninstalled.  Yesterday, I had to uninstall Malwarebytes, then Symantec LiveUpdate ran successfully.  Then I reinstalled Malwarebytes.  Malwarebytes remained activated when I reinstalled it.  Yes, this was the consumer version.  We have both business and home clients.  We don't control what users install on their computers.  We don't know if they have trial versions or paid versions.  We hate to uninstall software that a user or client has purchased.  We're leaning toward a mass email to our clients to tell them Malwarebytes is no longer compatible with Symantec and needs to be uninstalled! 

From: enterprise_technical_support@symantec.com [enterprise_technical_support@symantec.com]
Sent: 11/16/2016 3:39 PM
To: support@teamits.com
Subject: RE: Latest Symantec LiveUpdate blocked by Malwarebytes [ ]

Dear team,

I have just found more details about the reported issue which overrides my previous email.
Basically, our product is not compatible with any competitors' product.
The reported issue happens when a new version of our product is pushed via LiveUpdate but its installation is blocked because the competitor's product has been found.
That is, it does not seem Malwarebytes has an active role, yet we do not support a multi-anti-malware installation.

Best Regards/Cordiali Saluti,

Giuseppe D.
Sr. Technical Support Engineer,
BCS Endpoint Protection, EMEA

• Root Admin

Thanks @PCAmy

Pretty much what I thought. I would not necessarily classify that MBAM is not compatible with Symantec as we believe it is and this alert I'm sure happens with all other security products. However, I do understand your position of support. Though you may or may not be ready to abandon Symantec please be aware of our move forward in this area too, if and when you feel you may be ready for such a change.

All the best

Ron Lewis

On 2016-11-16 at 2:51 PM, PCAmy said:

The new Symantec protection version nis-22.8.0.50 is the culprit.

Hi PCAmy:

Just a heads up that the cloud-managed version of Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition (SEP/SBE) started using NIS v22.x as the base product on the client computers in January 2016. See the post Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition Adds Consumer Features That Don’t Serve the Needs of Small Businesses in the Symantec Connect forum.  The current version of NIS for home users is v21.8.1.14 (released 10-Nov-2016) but I'm not sure if that update has been rolled out to SEP/SBE users yet or if SEP/SBE users are just receiving the v22.8.0.50 update now.

There was a known issue where Norton home users trying to install Norton v22.8.0.50 (or running Norton's AutoFix after v22.8.0.50 was installed) would see a so-called "soft-block" warning users to uninstall MBAM and/or Hitman Pro if either product was installed on the user's system - see Krusty13's image in the thread Norton Security 22.8.0.50 SDS definition error in the Norton forum.  A hotfix to remove this soft-block was delivered to Norton v22.8.0.50 home users via LiveUpdate on 03-Oct-2016  - see Symantec employee Gayathri_R's post in that same thread <here>.  The product update announcement for the latest NIS v22.8.1.14 (released 17-Nov-2016) at Norton 22.8.1 Product Update available now also notes that the latest NIS v22.8.1.14 for home users now includes a fix that "Removed Soft-block on Malwarebytes & Hitman Pro".

Home users were able to simply ignore the MBAM soft-block by closing the pop-up warning and continuing with the installation of NIS v22.8.0.50, but it's possible that Symantec has decided to enforce the removal of MBAM for their small business clients and is refusing to release the 03-Oct-2016 hotfix to SEP/SBE customers.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.0 * NIS v.22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium 2.2.1.1043 

2 minutes ago, lmacri said:

The current version of NIS for home users is v21.8.1.14 (released 10-Nov-2016) but I'm not sure if that update has been rolled out to SEP/SBE users yet or if SEP/SBE users are just receiving the v22.8.0.50 update now.

Sorry, I can't seem to edit my previous post.  I meant to say that the current version of NIS for home users is v22.8.1.14, per the 10-Nov-2016 product update announcement Norton 22.8.1 Product Update available now.
-------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v50.0 * NIS v.22.8.1.14 * MBAM Premium 2.2.1.1043

On 2016-11-16 at 11:09 AM, PCAmy said:

Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition is pushing a software LiveUpdate.  Clients, so far with Malwarebytes 2.2.1.1043, are getting a Symantec LiveUpdate popup stating, "LiveUpdate operations cannot finish.  It is blocked by the application: 'Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.2.1.1043'. Please remove the application and retry again."

Hi PCAmy:

I also found a support article for SEP/SBE titled Client will not install with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware installed (dated 27-Oct-2016) that states "Malwarebytes will need to be removed to successfully install SEP SBE Cloud".
-------------

• 3 weeks later...

Symantec is getting desperate
First they stop allowing a grace period for their antivirus products, which by the way when you renew go back to the original expiration date
So what are they doing besides cheating their customers?
Now they purposely refuse to let live update run if you have MBAM installed
Version 14 of SEPM will also do this
Well thank GOD Malwarebytes has finally released an antivirus product!
No more Symantec for us or our clients