Edge page problem loading and Malwarebyte pop-up

Zaffy

Opening Edge page displays for a couple of seconds then a red Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Has Blocked An Exploit Attempt pops up. It says Protection Against OS Security Bypass. Exploit ROP gadget attack blocked.  I am using the Bing browser but The Malwarebytes pop-up is still visible and will remain until I click close.  I have tried running a Malwarebytes scan.

N.B.  I am rubbish at computers, so, please, no complex answers. Thanks

Hi Zaffy

Might be worth posting some more details initially:

Does this happen when you first start Edge?  If so what is your start page?

Do you have any Edge Extensions installed?

What antivirus and other security applications are installed?

What Edition, Version, and OS Build is your Windows 10 (Start > Settings > System > About)

I think the opening page is MSN.  It appears for a few seconds and then the Malwarebytes pop up appears and the page says problem loading.

I received an email to say you had responded and I clicked the link and Edge took me to this site but then  Malwarebytes popped up again and this page disappeared.   So I am now on Chrome.

I use Avast.  Windows 10 Home.  Version 1607. OS Build 14393.351.

Not sure about extensions.

Thanks

Having exactly the same problem with Windows 7 IE11 with Bing as home page.

It happens on several sites that I have shortcuts to....even my bank (Canada).

I went back to the previous version as the new one would not even let me attach this picture with out shutting ie down and displaying the notice attached.

00384.JPG

So Windows 7 is also involved. 

Can you all attach your MBAE Logs and other information specified in this link for Malwarebytes staff to look at.
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/144403-readme-first-posts-here-need-to-include-mbae-logs/
The easiest way to zip the logs is to select all the files in the folder C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, right click > Send to > "Compressed (zipped) folder".  Then attach the zip file to a reply here.

10 hours ago, John A said:

So Windows 7 is also involved. 

Can you all attach your MBAE Logs and other information specified in this link for Malwarebytes staff to look at.
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/144403-readme-first-posts-here-need-to-include-mbae-logs/
The easiest way to zip the logs is to select all the files in the folder C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, right click > Send to > "Compressed (zipped) folder".  Then attach the zip file to a reply here.

Sorry, I do not understand the instructions.  I clicked the Malwarebytes desktop icon and and clicked log but I do not know how to copy it. Where can I find  folder C? 

Zaffy, there are plenty of others now who have submiited logs so don't worry about it unless a Malwarebytes staff member requests it.

For future reference, you don't get at the logs via MBAE, you do the following:
Open File Explorer
Tick the View option to show "Hidden items"
Navigate to the folder C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
Select all the files in that folder (CTRL A)
Right click on the selection area and choose Send to > "Compressed (zipped) folder"
You will see a new folder appear that has an icon with a zipper on it
Attach that file to a forum response here

Meanwhile, do you have IBM Trusteer Rapport installed?  It appears that this may be causing a conflict with MBAE.

• Staff

Hello Everyone,

If you have Trusteer and MBAE then please follow the instructions on our known issues and conflicts page:

• Trusteer Rapport may conflict with MBAE. As a workaround simply disable the ROP and malicious return address protections in MBAE's advanced settings to make Trusteer work alongside MBAE. 

• Staff

Hello Everyone,

If you are having the issue with IE and the ROP gadget detection's, please try rebooting the computers and see if you still have the issue. We pushed out something and we want to see if it fixes the issue for you. Please let me know if you still have the issue after that or confirm that it fixed it!

• Staff

Hello stevejc,

We pushed out a change to our Advanced settings config wherein we disable the conflicting settings with Trusteer automatically, so that users can continue to use Edge with Trusteer. When you reboot your pc, you should see ROP and malicious return address detection settings disabled for Browsers. This is done temporarily until we provide a permanent fix. If you have disabled it manually, it is fine as well. Do not restore to default settings for now.

For all other users, simply restart your pc for the settings change to take effect, after which you can continue using Edge browser without any blocks.

Thanks for your patience.

• Staff

Hi RobbieBobbie,

I am assuming you have Trusteer Rapport installed and MBAE triggers a block when you use Edge. If that is the case, restart your pc or you can manually uncheck

CALL ROP Gadget detection (32 bit) for Browsers and CALL ROP Gadget detection (64 bit) for browsers and hit Apply. After you do this close and open your Edge browser again. Let us know if that works for you. Thanks.

Something has changed again this morning and now Edge won't work at all if MBAE is active. Edge opens briefly, but even before my home page comes up it closes again without any error message. If I stop the MBAE protection Edge works fine again. I should add that I have my settings as per the manual work around described above but Edge is still not working now unless MBAE is fully stopped.