Is this a scam please?

woodzee

Advice needed please :) Just spoken to my elderly mother, she has turned on her computer (Windows 10) to a message saying her computer is affected with malware. Silly her  has called the number suggested (1800 781 440)  has followed the instructions on her pc her 'tech support' has suggested and then paid a yearly fee with her credit card. She thinks their name was Max PC Experts (spelling?). Even though I have told her a million times to never do this, she has gone ahead and done it!
My question is, obviously this is a scam?? What is the next step she should follow? Maybe call a local tech guy in maybe? I have told her in the meantime do not log into her internet banking etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated please - hoping for the .0000001% chance this is a legit mob. Thanks so much for any advice anyone can give :)

• Staff

It's a tech support scam. Have her call her bank and cancel the charge due to fraudulent charge.

If you can get to her PC look at her browser history to see if you can determine which web address the scam was on, then post it here so we can block it and protect other users from it.

woodzee:

I have created a series of videos generated from these fraud sites for the purposes of recognition and education.  They are all  videos from real web sites.  ALL are FRAUDS.

MalwareScam.wmv

MalwareScam-1.wmv

MalwareScam-2.wmv

MalwareScam-3.wmv

MalwareScam-4.wmv

MalwareScam-5.wmv

MalwareScam-6.wmv

You will also see I do my best to submit as many sites as possible such that Malwarebytes' products can block access to them.  You can see my submissions in;  Newest IP or URL Threats  labeled as "HTML.FakeAlert".

Reference:   US FBI PSA - Tech Support Scam

Edited by David H. Lipman