MBAM Won't Open in Windows 10

I recently started getting a few pop up windows while away from my desk on Chrome and decided to install MBAM.  Although the install appeared to go fine, MBAM will not open.  I did use Chameleon to complete a scan and two items were quarantined. I ran several other removal tools, uninstalled MBAM using your uninstall tool, reinstalled, but it will still not open.  The icon appears in the system tray until I hover over it and then it disappears.  Any help would be greatly appreaciated.  I would like to buy MBAM premium but it's not going to do me much goo if I cannot open it!   Thanks, David

Hello David and welcome to Malwarebytes,

Run the following scan post the produced logs...

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Alternative download option: http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6731-farbar-recovery-scan-tool.html

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system (32 bit or 64 bit). If you are not sure which version applies to your system download both of them and try to run them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

If your security alerts to FRST either, accept the alert or turn your security off to allow FRST to run. It is not malicious or infected in any way...

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.(Windows 8/10 users will be prompted about Windows SmartScreen protection - click More information and Run.)
  • Make sure Addition.txt is checkmarked under "Optional scans"
  • Press Scan button to run the tool....
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The tool will also make a log named (Addition.txt) Please attach that log to your reply.

Let me see those logs in your next reply....

Thank you,

Kevin.

Thanks for those logs, continue as follows:

Download attached fixlist.txt file (end of reply) and save it to the Desktop, or the folder you saved FRST into.
NOTE. It's important that both FRST and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Open FRST and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt) or the folder it was ran from. Please post it to your reply.

Next,

Please download MBAM-clean and save it to your desktop.

• Right-click on mbam-clean.exe icon and select user posted image Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • It will ask you to reboot the machine - please do so.
  • Run the cleaner tool again, re-boot when complete. <<<---do not miss this step

Download & install the newset MBAM version.

Please download user posted imageMalwarebytes Anti-Malware

• Install the progam and select update.
  • Once updated, click the Settings tab, in the left panel choose Detctions & protection and tick Scan for rootkits.
  • In the same tab, under PUP and PUM detections make sure it is set to Treat detections as malware.
  • Click the Scan tab, choose Threat Scan is checked and click Scan Now.
  • If threats are detected, click the Apply Actions button. You will now be prompted to reboot. Click Yes.
  • Upon completion of the scan (or after the reboot), click the History tab.
  • Click Application Logs and double-click the Scan Log.
  • At the bottom click Export and choose Text file.

Save the file to your desktop and include its content in your next reply.

Thanks.

Kevin.....

Fixlist.txt

Kevin,

I followed your instructions but MBAM still won't start.  The behavior is the same ... the MBAM icon appears in my system tray after attempting to open but when I hover over the icon, it disappears.  I was sure to run the clean tool twice, rebooting each time as instructed.  I have attached the fixlog.txt file but I should tell you that it's the result of a second run.  After the first time I ran it, I noticed that the fixlist.txt file was no longer in the same directory as FRST so I thought maybe I had screwed that up.  So, I ran it a second time.  After that, I noticed that the fixlist.txt was removed so I'm pretty sure I did it right the first time.

Fixlog.txt

user posted imageScan with ZOEK

Please download ZOEK by Smeenk from here: http://hijackthis.nl/smeenk/ and save it to your desktop (preferred version is the *.exe one)

*.exe Mirror http://smeenk.247fixes.com/Tools/zoek.exe

Temporary disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware protection - instructions here or here

• Right-click on user posted image icon and select user posted image Run as Administrator to start the tool.
  • Wait patiently until the main console will appear, it may take a minute or two.
  • In the main box please paste in the following script:

createsrpoint;
autoclean;
emptyclsid;
emptyalltemp;
ipconfig /flushdns >>"%temp%\log.txt";b
sfc /scannow >>"%temp%\log.txt";

• Make sure that Scan All Users option is checked.
  • Push Run Script and wait patiently. The scan may take a couple of minutes.
  • When the scan completes, a zoek-results logfile should open in notepad.
  • If a reboot is needed, it will be opened after it. You may also find it at your main drive (usually C:\ drive)

Please include its content in your next reply. Don't forget to re-enable security software!

Next,

Please download Zemana AntiMalware and save it to your Desktop.

• Install the program and once the installation is complete it will start automatically.
  • Without changing any options, press Scan to begin.
  • After the short scan is finished, if threats are detected press Next to remove them.
    Note: If restart is required to finish the cleaning process, you should click Reboot. If reboot isn't required, please re-boot your computer manually.

• Open Zemana AntiMalware again.
  • Click on user posted image icon and double click the latest report.
  • Now click File > Save As and choose your Desktop before pressing Save.
  • Attach saved report in your next message.

let me see those logs in your reply...

Edited by kevinf80

Kevin,

Here are the scan reports.  I don't know if you intended me to run Zeok twice, but I did as you instructed.  You will see a file for each of those scans.  Zemana did not find anything.

Should I try reinstalling MBAM and seeing if it will start?

David

zoek-results(firstscan).txt

zoek-results(secondscan).txt

ZemanaScan2016.11.02-16.13.04-i0-t92-d0.txt

Kevin,

I installed MBAM again (after running the cleaning tool twice) and it will still not open.  The installation seemed to go fine, as it has every time I've tried.  But, when I try to open it, the MBAM icon appears in the system tray but nothing opens.  When I try to click on the icon in the system tray, it disappears as soon as my cursor hovers over it.  

I have been able to get MBAM to run by using one of the chameleons.  MBAM will open directly after that but reverts back to it's non-opening state after I restart.

David

Hello David..

Run the following then try Malwarebytes once more:

Download RKill from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

There are three buttons to choose from with different names on, select the first one and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista or Windows 7/8/10, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • A log pops up at the end of the run. This log file is located at C:\rkill.log. Please post this in your next reply.
  • If you do not see the black box flash on the screen delete the icon from the desktop and go back to the link for the download, select the next button and try to run the tool again, continue to repeat this process using the remaining buttons until the tool runs. You will find further links if you scroll down the page with other names, try them one at a time.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.

Thank you,

Kevin....

Please create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post, instead please attach the log CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next post

Next,

I want to check and see if a folder named 0 has been created in the registry, if it is not listed just tell me and ignore the instructions.....

Select Windows key and R key together. Into the run box type regedit tap enter, Registry Editor will open.....

Expand the following key :-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE >SOFTWARE > Policies > Microsoft > Windows > safer > codeidentifiers > 0

Do not expand the folder 0 Right click on that folder and choose "Export"

user posted image

A new widow will open, make sure to change "saved in" to Desktop.

user posted image

From the desktop right click on the reg file > select > send to > compressed (zipped) folder....

Attach to next reply,

Pending File Rename Operations: 
================================
If any Malwarebytes Anti-Malware items are listed below, the user must reboot to complete a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware upgrade installation.
Pending File Rename Operations: 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
    PendingFileRenameOperations    REG_MULTI_SZ    \??\C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll.old

Can you re-boot your system then run the check again...