Outlook 2016 disconnected' from server

I just found this post. I have had this very annoying problem for the last couple of weeks. Finally today I tried to disable MWAM Website protection, and outlook was working again.

Has this issue been resolved ?.

I have tried to add outlook.com to the web exclusion, but it didn't seem to make a difference. I would hate to disable MWAM, but on the other hand, I need outlook to work.

Thanks

Jesper

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Hi.

When you say "blocked", do you mean as in getting a IP block message window ?   Do you have the full text content of that message box ?

Can you take a screenshot image of that message window?

One first suggestion I have is to turn off the email preview option in Outlook.   Our software does not pre-filter ( nor post-filter) contents of email.  My initial view is that some email has embedded advertising that is attempting to access a blocked domain.   This can happen due to mal-vertising on ad networks that ( unfortunately) the email makes reference to.

I'm sorry, I thought I replied to an existing topic, but it seems I instead started a new .

Anyway - my issue was that outlook desktop app kept showing 'disconnected' from server. It only happens on this computer, and it has been happening for a couple of weeks. When I disabled Anti-Malware it suddenly connected. I then tried to add 'outlook.com' and outlook.exe to the exclusion setting and enable AM, but outlook showed 'disconnected' again. Disabling AM and outlook connected.

Of course I cannot say for sure this happens because of Malware bytes, could be latest Office update or Windows update, but if I disable Malware bytes then it seems to work, at least so far.

The is no blocked IP popup message (I got that for Skype, but adding Skype.exe to exclusion fixed that), outlook just doesn't connect, and shows 'disconnected' in the status bar.

I will try and enable Malwarebytes again and disable preview as you suggest, maybe that will fix my issue.

Thanks

Jesper

Jesper - I have been dealing with this for quite some time.  The MB staff are helping (but i struggle to find time to problem solve due to work expectations - which is my problem).

But yes, it is real and it is a problem - it will almost certainly not be fixed until a new version of MB is released (that is what I have been told).  It is also almost certainly not a virus or intruder problem on your PC - I do encourage you to provide any info you can to MB - this may help them solve a problem they say is not impacting many people (against the volume of licenses I believe that is true - but then again it is probably a few thousand or more!).  

Good luck.

Jesper,
I would like to get the 2 latest Protection logs.  One from today & one from Saturday.
Not the "scan" log ones.  But the "protection logs".

Look for the Protection Log for today  from the HISTORY section in our program.
Start Malwarebytes.
Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
Double click on the Protection log which shows today's date.  Please make sure the word Protection is shown and also that you grab the very latest Date.
You can double click the line to get it on screen. Then use the menu at bottom of the window.

Click the EXPORT button at the bottom left.
Click "TEXT file"

Be very aware as to what folder and what NAME you give this report.  You need to make a note so you can send it.

do the same for Protection   log of 10-15-2016

Then attach that file with your next reply.   Thank you.

You are saying that the message is to the effect <<'disconnected' from server>>  which comes from within Outlook.   That can happen irregardess of whether or not our program is installed.  In essence, Outlook is saying Outlook cant find the server, or not able to negotiate the handshake login to email server.

My first instinct in that type of situation is to use the Windows menu and do a RESTART, wait for the reload, and when ready ( fully) give one new try with Outlook.

Sometimes this type issue can happen if the pc is not shutdown and rebooted daily.

Edited by Maurice Naggar

Please be sure to advise me as to the version of Windows on your pc.   Is it Windows 7 ?  8.1, 10?
As to the Outlook message <<"Trying to Connect" or "Disconnected" >>  I am going to highlight a specific section of this MS article
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2876644

you notice that Outlook displays "Trying to Connect" or "Disconnected" for anywhere from five minutes to more than one hour.....
This problem occurs because individual function calls in the remote procedure call (RPC) over the HTTP connection takes too much time to return. Additionally, these calls are piled up in heavy-load scenarios. The pile-up causes each call to return after a long time.

RPC is one communication protocol that is built into Windows.  Windows o.s. is in charge of that process.

Hi Maurice.

I have not yet seen the outlook disconnect issue this morning after restarting my computer. I usually only restart my computer when necessary, and not every night. I will keep an eye on it and collect the logs when it happens again

I'm on Windows 10 (version 1607, build 14939.321), Malwarebytes Home (premium) 2.2.1.1043 with db version v2016.10.15.13

Jesper