Malware found on new phone "cool launcher" ...?

I just got my new android phone (a Juning, a Chinese make from Amazon).
I installed Malwarebytes and it found one malware:

Cooee (which I think is cool launcher) - which came pre-installed
Android/PUP.Riskware.Cooee.H
/system/priv-app
coco_launcher_teeno_dhh/
coco_launcher_teeno_dhh.apk

I looked up Cool Launcher in the Settings -> Apps -> Cool Launcher and I can force quit it, but not disable it, nor uninstall it I think. I looked at what this app has access to and its pretty much everything!
After I forced quit it, Malwarebytes was able to uninstall it, anyway, thats what it said, but it didn't and keeps on finding it when I run another scan.

Any advice?

Hi MrBansaw,

This has become a big problem with cheaper priced device, they come preinstalled with malicious apps and the apps cannot be removed using Android's uninstaller.

After disabling you can:

- Root your device and uninstall the malicious apps. Usually reserved for advanced users, please do at your own risk.

- Install different, trusted, ROM to replace infected one. Usually reserved for advanced users, please do at your won risk.

- Return device where purchased.

I wish there were more options but where Android's openness and built in security collide; openness, anyone can flash a device with a custom ROM, security, you can't uninatll system apps.

Regards,

-Armando

On 10/10/2016 at 1:24 PM, a_Mbam said:

Hi MrBansaw,

This has become a big problem with cheaper priced device, they come preinstalled with malicious apps and the apps cannot be removed using Android's uninstaller.

Regards,

-Armando

Thanks,  I did exactly that.   I installed Kingroot and rooted the phone, then I installed Google Now Launcher & then Titanium backup and then I uninstalled Cool Launcher with Titanium after having made Google Now the default.  So, eventually I got rid of Cool (Coco) Launcher which Malwarebytes recognized as riskware.

It was a cheap phone I got from Amazon but I am actually quite pleased with it, it performs well, its just that it had potentially riskware on it.  The screen res is 1280x720, and its probably not a great gaming phone, but for $78, can't go wrong.

A caveat is , Malwarebytes now identifies Kingroot as Malware!!   I guess its because its an app that accesses the root of your phone and does stuff that regular apps dont.