virtualbox vs dual boot

DevDream

** Since this is not a Malware Removal situation, I have requested a moderator move this thread to;  General Windows PC Help

The fact is the two OS' are so dissimilar it is not really a concern.

You should also realize what has the greatest impact on security is what you do and what you don't do that keeps the system safe.

I suggest you look into a removable drive bay caddy system.  1 caddy with one hard disk and its associated OS and another caddy with its own hard disk and its associated OS.

Then you shutdown the computer, plug in the hard disk that represents the OS of choice and boot the system.

This brings complete isolation int the system which completely mitigates all issues ( outside of other removable media such as Flash Drives, etc. ).

During the days when SCSI was king, I'd have different OS' on different hard disks on the SCSI chain.  When I wanted a particular OS I would reboot the PC, hit the Hot Key for the Adpatec SCSI Controller's software interface ( in ROM ) and have choose the SCSI controller's Logical Unit Number ( LUN ) that represented the OS of choice.  Then when the computer was rebooted, it would boot from that drive and its OS.

One can also do this with modern systems by having each OS on different SATA hard disks each on a different SATA interface.  Then you go into the BIOS of the system and have the system boot from the SATA interface that represents the OS of choice. However, to isolate the "other" OS, you'd have to have a system BIOS that allows the computer to completely disable the SATA interface of the drive representing the OS you do NOT want to boot from.  That gives you the isolation that increases security.

Example removable drive bay caddies:

AMS DK-1220SEBK Comet Value Series (Black) - 5.25" Removable Rack (SATA-to-SATA)

SYBA CL-HD-MRUCD Mobile Rack for 3.5" SATA Hard Drive

Edited by David H. Lipman

No.  "Technically" it is not and this is not a "discussion" sub-forum.

This "Malware Removal" sub-forum is for Windows system users who are presently infected, at some level, with malware and they request assistance with its removal by a Forum Helper.

It is always a good idea to understand the Charter of each sub-forum and read any/all guidelines associated with posting and/or replying in them before one posts or replies in them.

Thank you for understanding.

Edited by David H. Lipman

6 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

No.  "Technicaly" it is not and this is not a "discussion" sub-forum.

This "Malware Removal" sub-forum is for Windows system users who are presently infected, at some level, with malware and they request assistance with its removal by a Forum Helper.

It is always a good idea to understand the Charter of each sub-forum and read any/all guidelines associated with posting and/or replying in them before one posts or replies in them.

Thank you for understanding.

Okay then, fair enough.

sorry about that.

Edited by DevDream

I cant find the link , sorry it's a complicated matter i refuse to:blush:create a side scene about. 

Basically I posted a thread on another forum about whether boot camp can allow malware from windows to mac. 

Digerati replied saying that it can corrupt the hard drive which means both OS are affected. And can also act as a carrier 

how about virtualbox? Like if i doenload something is the hard disk affectdd?

22 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

The fact is the two OS' are so dissimilar it is not really a concern.

As for corrupting the hard disk, I also wrote about removable drives...

22 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

This brings complete isolation int the system which completely mitigates all issues ( outside of other removable media such as Flash Drives, etc. ).

You've received some pretty good information from @David H. Lipman already however, out of curiousity why are you looking to run both Windows and Mac OS. 

As David stated, your safest bet is to have separate HDD's for each OS however that may not be possible if you are using a mac book or mac book air. 

Thus, why are you looking to have different OS. I personally use both depending on the task at hand. For example, I run windows and arch linux on my laptop (dual boot), in addition to virtual machines that I use (I am a software developer and using different OS depending on the project, and language I am using). 

Dual booting will provide you with better performance however depending on your file systems (though they should both be protected assuming the windows will be using NTFS), leaves the possibility of transferring files between the two OS. 

For example, I have a shared folder that both my Windows and Arch Linux can access to share programming resources. 

Virtual machines on the other hand maybe considered "more secure", may lack in performance depending on the tasks you will be using it for.