JRT not creating restore point

I have been using JRT for quite a while now it is at  Ver 8.0.7.  When I do a scan with the program it says that it is creating a restore point, then success, but when I check my restore points there is none.  I have my computer configured to allow plenty of space to create restore points.  Revo Uninstaller creates them, I can create them, but not JRT.  My computer is running Windows 10/Pro /64-Ver 1607.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, does this also happen in JRT 8.0.8? According to the attachment, you are on 8.0.7. I've notified a team member to help me look into this. Thanks for your patience.

In the meantime, can you provide a screenshot or text of the error message given when JRT fails to create the restore point?

See the part highlighted in red below as an example:

a.png

The error code here may provide some insight. Thank you.

Edited by thisisu

27 minutes ago, msherwood said:

Hi @tacua! Can you confirm which version of Windows 10 you have? Is it 14393.187? We're seeing an issue with some .187 machines (and not with others).

To find your version:

• Launch the Run command using Windows Key + R
  • Type "winver" and then enter

Thanks!

Did as you suggested, and yes it is the same troublesome version.  It is the most current update.  It was installed on 9/13 on my machine.

• Administrators
45 minutes ago, tacua said:

Did as you suggested, and yes it is the same troublesome version.  It is the most current update.  It was installed on 9/13 on my machine.

Thanks for the confirmation. We're still working on this. We'll share more when we know more...

• Administrators

Quick update... we're still tracking this one down. It does appear to be limited to just Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.187. JRT is working fine except it does not create a restore point (even though it says it does). A workaround is for you to create your own restore point and then use JRT. 

More to come in the morning...

• Administrators

Sorry for the late note back on this. We have pinpointed the issue and it's related to the System Restore API and it simply not working as it should be in both Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.105 and .187.

We are compiling a fix for this and hope to start testing it in-depth tomorrow.

Other than sometimes not creating a restore point in Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.105 and .187, JRT is working just fine. If you want or need a restore point created before using JRT, the workaround is still manually creating a restore point before using JRT.

• Administrators
On 9/29/2016 at 4:58 AM, Aura said:

So the issue lies within Windows, and not JRT? Did you submit the bug to Microsoft?

Yeah, it's a System Restore issue. We now have more safeguards in place as well as messaging when it fails. JRT is working fine.

We have a fix in place and we started QA testing this evening. Windows 10 version 1607 build 14393.222 is now included in our testing 

Assuming this goes well, we're targeting a new build to be deployed on Monday (10/3).

• Administrators

We've completed our in-depth testing and it's ready! We'll be uploading JRT 8.0.9 a bit later today. Watch for the announcement here.

Also, here's a quick overview of what happened and how we addressed the issue.

With the latest builds of Windows 10, Microsoft made a small change to their restore point creation API that can potentially cause a restore point to be abandoned if the requesting process exits before Windows has finalized the restore point.  The operating system notifies older builds of JRT (and even some Microsoft utilities) that a restore point is ready *slightly before* it is actually done creating it.  When the timing lines up just right, Windows falsely assumes the process that requested the restore point has crashed, and it should cancel and delete the restore point.

To mitigate this new behavior, we’ve expanded the restore point creation process in JRT into two steps:

1. We request a restore point to be created by the OS
  2. We verify the restore point was created successfully via WMI

You'll see this new two-step process outputted to the command window while using JRT. If we run into an issue, you'll be presented this information and have the choice to continue or exit JRT.

JRT - Success.png

JRT - requesting error.png

JRT - validating error.png

If you need to use the restore point JRT created, look for "JRT Pre-Junkware Removal" (type will be "Manual" and that's as designed). 

JRT - System Restore.png

Please note this potential issue with restore point creation does not affect the rest of JRT.

Thanks for being patient with us as we tracked this down and fixed it!

• Administrators

We've deployed JRT 8.0.9! You should receive the new build via the updater within JRT or you can download it directly.

Release notes: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/189059-junkware-removal-tool-jrt-809-released/

@tacua - please try the new version and let us know if it's working for you.

Restore point creation working again here: Win 10 home, v 1607, build 14393.222

Slightly peripheral; but have you considered giving the user a Y/N option as to creating the restore point or not?

• Administrators
21 hours ago, Aura said:

Nice to see that JRT can still receive that much work! Good job guys :)

3 hours ago, Firefox said:

thanks for the new version...keep the good tools coming...

You bet!

31 minutes ago, nukecad said:

Restore point creation working again here: Win 10 home, v 1607, build 14393.222

Slightly peripheral; but have you considered giving the user a Y/N option as to creating the restore point or not?

Thanks for sharing your results. Yeah, we have discussed this a few times but decided against it as we didn't want to disrupt the automated process.

What would you prefer it do?

On 06/10/2016 at 1:48 AM, msherwood said:

Thanks for sharing your results. Yeah, we have discussed this a few times but decided against it as we didn't want to disrupt the automated process.

Fair enough, it is fine that JRT just does it's stuff with only the one prompt to proceed.

I was just thinking that if someone runs it daily then the only restore points on their system will be the ones created by JRT each day, as the older ones drop off the bottom of the list.

I wondered if it might be preferable for some users to be able to switch off the JRT restore point creation, and have a few of the older restore points still available, just in case.

As I say it was just a thought.

Edited by nukecad

I was just thinking that if someone runs it daily then the only restore points on their system will be the ones created by JRT each day,

The thing is that people shouldn't be running JRT each day. JRT, AdwCleaner, etc. aren't Antimalware, they are malware removal tools, so you usually run them when you are infected or suspect to be. Otherwise, you usually leave your Antivirus and Antimalware run their daily, scheduled scans.

On 10/5/2016 at 7:48 PM, msherwood said:

You bet!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember the last time I used JRT that it does not give the user any choices as to what to remove, anything detected is remove automatically. So if this is the case then I would think its imperative that a restore point is made first in the case any false positives are detected. Giving the user that choice could result in some borked machines if something was deleted that shouldn't be and no restore point was made.