Temporarily Protection Disable Feature

waltervan00

To the ever supportive Malwarebytes anti-malware technical crew,

This post was created to suggest a future implementation for the product of Malwarebytes anti-malware. It concerns about the limited features that the free product delivers to its users. I would like to bring up an idea which would be of convenience for a more niche demographic; that is, the ever-growing population of consumers who are regularly engaged in multiplayer entertainment applications requiring connections by unconventional ports and protocols.

One of the major worries about the digital user revolves around having their protection application software(s) inhibiting the installation, or execution, of certain programs. Such applications including antivirus and anti-malware services are often advised to be uninstalled once a cumbersome issue relating to it and the user's applications has been discovered, but irritatingly left unresolved: therefore, much protection software are graded by the people for delicate balance in protection and user compatibility. This concept of judgement is furthermore encouraged by the large growing forum-like social media sites as users are now evermore in contact with millions of similar users.

A common solution that such protection services have, to allow users to seamlessly install other programs and open various network related needs, is a 'temporary disable' option. That is, a temporary shutdown of the software's passive protection functions, which may last from ten minutes to the next time the machine is booted up or when the disabling feature is reverted. I feel that this would certainly appeal to the newer generation of digital consumers who will be, in some way, be regularly using a plethora of internet connection types. I do acknowledge the fact that the paid, complete version of this software boasts a feature to disable Malwarebytes opening upon the booting of windows, however, I find that somewhat inconvenient that it would require some form of purchase for this feature; therefore, I would like to request making that a free feature for the free version of the product, as well as an implementation of the option stated beforehand. I would really appreciate that.

This may raise an issue regarding the safety of the users, as their protection may be placed into jeopardy should the protection be accidentally toggled off, but this uncertainty would simply be rectified by the need to bring up a brief prompt and confirmation dialogue directed to the user.

Thank you for taking you time reading this thread-header of suggestion. Please take your time to consider the aforementioned points. I am really hopeful of this product and I wish to see it grow, strongly believing that this minute little function is one feature lacking from the product which the users would love to see added.

Cheers.

Hello and welcome back, @waltervan00:

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback.

We will need to wait for a staff member to formally address your concerns.

Until then, a wee bit of clarification (assuming I correctly understood your request):

You wrote:

9 minutes ago, waltervan00 said:

A common solution that such protection services have, to allow users to seamlessly install other programs and open various network related needs, is a 'temporary disable' option. That is, a temporary shutdown of the software's passive protection functions, which may last from ten minutes to the next time the machine is booted up or when the disabling feature is reverted.

Please be aware that MBAM Free does not provide any real-time protection or monitoring.  It is only a manual, on-demand scanner.  As such there is no need to implement for MBAM Free any sort of temporary disabling of services or protection.  As you correctly pointed out, only MBAM Premium (and Trial) provide real-time protection.  Therefore only Trial and Premium include features to disable that protection, if needed.  In other words, it's not really "passive protection functions" that are at issue, it would be the "active", "real-time" protection.  Since MBAM Free does not provide that, there's nothing to temporarily disable.  The manual, on-demand scanning capability of MBAM Free should have no impact on one's ability to install 3rd-party software or to make other changes to the system.

I apologize if I perhaps misunderstood your request.

All requests for features are logged by the developers for consideration as new features for possible future program versions.

Thanks again for your valuable feedback. 

• Staff

Yes, as daledoc1 stated above, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium/Trial users can selectively disable one or all protection components should that be necessary in order to perform any of the tasks you describe.

All a user needs to do is right-click on the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware tray icon located in the notification area near the system clock on the taskbar and click on the protection component they wish to disable as shown in the below image:

Disable Protection.png

Once either or both protection components have been disabled, a notification will be displayed above the tray that looks something like this and MBAM's tray icon will have a red ! next to it:

Disabled Warning.png

Once the user is done with whatever tasks they needed to perform with protection disabled they may click on the Fix Now button within the notification to turn all protection components on again or, if the user dismissed the notification via the X in the upper right side of the notification, they may right-click on the tray once more and click on each protection component to check/enable it again.

The same tasks may also be performed using the settings located in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's main UI under Settings->Detection and Protection.

Edited by exile360