Ransom.Petya false positive?

ItManager

Is this a false positive?   We are having this come up on a decent amount of computers this morning.

Alert Time: 9/13/2016 9:01:16 AM

Notification Catalog: Client

Description:

Malware threat detected, see details below:

9/13/2016 9:00:04 AM    Ransom.Petya   Quarantined      C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\VS7DEBUG\mdm.exe

I didn't know this was false positive until after I responded to finding the malware. Can you explain what I should do if I already went thru with quarantining these files? Do I restore these? Also, there were three files, but now I only see 2 in the quarantine folder. What about missing one? Also, I'm concerned because I went into my Norton security logs and I see that ever since last night, malwarebytes has been trying to access the Norton app and being blocked, like 30-50 times all day? I know sometimes there are attempts like this, but never continually.

thank you,

-heather

• Staff

Hello Rredrosie,

5 hours ago, Rredrosie said:

Can you explain what I should do if I already went thru with quarantining these files? Do I restore these? Also, there were three files, but now I only see 2 in the quarantine folder. What about missing one?

Yes, restore -- guide on how to restore from quarantine is here. It should just be 1 file named mdm.exe.

Also, I'm concerned because I went into my Norton security logs and I see that ever since last night, malwarebytes has been trying to access the Norton app and being blocked, like 30-50 times all day? I know sometimes there are attempts like this, but never continually.

This maybe happened due to the false positive? Try restoring the mdm.exe file(s) and see if that problem goes away.

Oh, also I couldn't get into Firefox this morning, thus why I ran the scan and got the report about ransom.petya in first place. any possibility that it wasn't a false positive? Or that's some separate problem for me to solve after this.

thanks!

It was indeed a false positive. You may wish to follow the steps here on creating your own topic if you suspect a malware infection.

Edited by thisisu