Real time protection doesn't work

dalveer

Recently my hard disk was replaced due to bad sectors. After reinstalling windows 10, Malwarebytes stopped running the real time protection. And irony is that even after three days of consultation with the support staff no solution has been found. ( Read about the fake support scam here, hopefully I was consulting a genuine person ).

Ultimately I had to give up and uninstall Malwarebytes. Can anyone help me to at least identify the problem. I tried running it without any other virus scanner software running simultaneously. But that didn't work too. 

Hello and :welcome:, @dalveer:

If I understand your issue, you had problems enabling MBAM real-time protection after reinstalling Windows10 on a new hard drive?
Moreover, you were unable to resolve the issue with the support team members at the Help Desk?

In order to troubleshoot more effectively here in the forum, it would help to have the following information, please:

• Your Help Desk ticket number (this will permit the forum staff to look up what has already been tried); AND
  • A fresh set of diagnostic logs (as we are not in front of your computer, the logs will provide a bit of basic system information):
    • In order to troubleshoot MBAM performance and issues on this system, we would need you to reinstall the program
      • You may download a fresh copy of the installer HERE
      • Please be sure to reboot after installing
      • Please be sure to activate the program with your license Key +/- ID (depending on the type of Premium license you have)
    • Then, please carefully follow the steps here: Diagnostic Logs
    • Please ATTACH all 3 logs to you next reply (FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  • Finally, once you have installed & activated MBAM Premium, it would help to see an MBAM PROTECTION log, as well

Thank you,

Hi, again:

Just a wee bit of clarification...

33 minutes ago, dalveer said:

I tried running it without any other virus scanner software running simultaneously. But that didn't work too. 

MBAM is not an anti-virus.  Even with MBAM Premium, one needs a robust, real-time AV.

I understand your rationale for temporarily removing your AV to troubleshoot.

But just checking: I assume you have reinstalled your AV?

Thanks again,

Hi:

OK, that's good. I didn't want you to be out on the 'net, flying naked, so to speak.;)

Please post back with the requested information when you are ready.

FWIW, I have been running MBAM Premium and Kaspersky for many years without issue, including on a new, OEM Win10 box. Each computer is unique, but there is no inherent problem with this combination on this platform.  The requested data will help to determine the possible cause of your issue and, I hope, the solution.

Thanks again,

• Root Admin

The computer is having some issues that might be due to the hard drive.

Please click on your Start and search COMMAND and find the Command Prompt and right click and "Run as administrator"

Then in the Command Prompt DOS box type in the following.

CHKDSK  C:  /R

It will probably say it cannot lock the drive. If so then press the Y key and the Enter key to have it run on the next restart of the computer.

Then type in the following and do the same thing if asked. It may go ahead and run.

CHKDSK  D:  /R

Then right-click on the MBAM shortcut and choose Properties and on the Compatibility tab and uncheck all items. Currently, you're running MBAM in compatibility mode which will cause it to have problems when running.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\appCompatFlags\Layers
    C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

Then restart the computer, and run a new MBAM CLEAN routine.

Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version using the following guide. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

Hi, @dalveer:

I suggest that you please follow @AdvancedSetup's expert advice. :)

One other thing caught my eye from your logs: it looks as if you are running a very old, outdated version of Win10:

mbam-check result log version:     2.3.2.0
========================================

User Account type:                 Administrator
DomainComputer:                    No
Current Version and Build:         10.0.10240 OS Product Info: Professional

That was the build released in July 2015. 

If your OS is updating properly, you ought to be on at least 10.0.10586 or 10.0.14393 (AU).

Are you still running that old version?
If you're not sure, THIS TUTORIAL explains how to check your current Windows version in Win10.

<Just wondering if this could be contributing to some of your problems.>

Please let us know how things go with @AdvancedSetup's advice.

Cheers,

ID: 9  

13 hours ago, daledoc1 said:

Hi, @dalveer:

I suggest that you please follow @AdvancedSetup's expert advice. :)

One other thing caught my eye from your logs: it looks as if you are running a very old, outdated version of Win10:

That was the build released in July 2015. 

If your OS is updating properly, you ought to be on at least 10.0.10586 or 10.0.14393 (AU).

Are you still running that old version?
If you're not sure, THIS TUTORIAL explains how to check your current Windows version in Win10.

<Just wondering if this could be contributing to some of your problems.>

Please let us know how things go with @AdvancedSetup's advice.

Cheers,

Hi Daledoc1

Your last comment did the trick. It took me more than a couple of hours to update windows 10. I am now running 1607 which I believe is the latest version.

MBAM is working fine now. Thanks a ton for the help. This reminds me of a scenario I faced once. As a child was born his health was deteriorating and doctors kept doing the tests and thinking what went wrong. Then one wise doctor advised nurse to help the mother teach how to breast feed the baby. Baby was absolutely fine after that. 

In present times when we are bombarded with solutions I strongly feel the companies to have a checklist of basic steps or guidelines that they can provide before even getting into finding technical faults and looking beyond for a solution.

Thanks & Regards