Windows stop critical process died

I   am running a 64 bit win 10 post anniversary update.  The system is repeatedly showing BSOD; more recently, the screen above the taskbar goes black.  I have refreshed windows and run Malware Bytes -- no infection.  Logs are attached.  Is this a virus of anniversary update issue?  I'm lost.  I do have an image backup for late May with current data backup.

Thanks

Kinetix 12

Addition.txt

FRST.txt

Edited by Maurice Naggar

:welcome:  Hello.

I only see ( from the reports) that Internet Explorer 11 crashed a few times.   What exactly is on the so called BSOD?   ( and are you super sure it is the real one ?)

If your screen's Windows desktop goes dark it may be that the system is busy with other things.   When did this "dark screen thing on the desktop" start to happen?

Is it every time you start Windows ?

Did you recently reboot today?  RESTART does a lot of wonders sometimes.

You stated you did a Windows 10 REFRESH.  That should have got Windows back to shape.  You also state that our M B AM reported no malware.

What about doing a scan with the resident antivirus ?

Before you do anything else, do the following:

Before we do anything else, I would like for you to do two safety precautions for your Windows 10 installation.
Get a hold of a large enough, new/clean USB flash-thumb drive and make a Windows 10 Recovery Drive  ( which comes in real handy in dire situations).  Checkout the write-up by Brink at Tenforums  ( which is an excellent Windows 10 help resource )
How to Create a USB Recovery Drive in Windows 10 

Second,
Study this excellent guide and see about applying this safety adjustment for Windows 10 startup
How to Enable or Disable F8 Advanced Boot Options in Windows 10

You want to ENABLE F8 as an option on bootup.

Do those 2 things and let me know after that is in place.  I very much recommend those procedures.

Both IE Ver 11 and Firefox have become difficult if not all but impossible to sue.  IE has become slowed.  Firefox has been producing an orange screen notice of the need to be updated. See attached.  Research indicates the screen is bogus and the "invitation" has not been accepted.

The BSOD does appear legitimate.  See attached.  The noted causes have changed. The computer is functioning and then it is not.  The BSOD appears and the system lingers and then  reboots. For an example of the screen, see attached.

The black screen is peculiar.  Like the BSOD, it just happens without any provocation or warning sign..  The only thing that appears is the white cursor on a black background (as opposed to the normal desktop which is not black).  and the system locks up.  The task bar appears normal visually but is non functional. The only way to reboot is to force the system off using the power button.

I have rebooted, checked drivers, though I suppose one could be corrupted.

I noted a DCOM "error" and research suggests that may be a permission error that can be fixed through a registry key modification but I do not know if that could be the cause of all of these issues.

I was running AVG (paid version) before posting to this forum.  It ran clean.  I deleted AVG and installed AVAST believing/wondering if it might be the cause.  No joy. I did an AVAST scan after seeing your post, no issues.

2016-09-03 20.28.36.jpg

2016-09-03 20.28.36.jpg

File Sep 03, 9 38 57 PM.jpg

Hi.

We need to break down & separate all the issues you described.

The major concern is the Windows STOP crashes.  The BSOD.  Thanks for the screen images.  Those are genuine Windows 10 crashes.
Notice the stop code Critical process died.
I will likely wind up recommending we switch your case over to the sub-forum on BSOD.  We have a dedicated sub-forum for that purpose.
BUT see my very last note below, since it appears that your hardware does not meet the minimum requirement to run Windows 10 !

NOTE:
I would like to ask you about your hardware.  The report shows the system board as Intel Core M-5Y10c CPU @ 0.80GHz
what exactly is this ?
It does not seem to meet the minimum requirements to run Windows 10
see   https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-specifications

The minimum is listed as
Processor:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC

On the less major scale but somewhat more pressing is that bogus Firefox screen.  That is not something that Mozilla Firefox does.
Here is what needs to be done for Firefox.

Press and hold the Windows key and tap R key to get the Windows RUN box.
Then type in
firefox.exe
and tap Enter.   Then press and hold SHIFT+ CTRL + tap the DELete key on keyboard.
Follow the dialog to delete all cache files.

Then using Firefox menu, press ALT key and select H for Help.  Then select About Firefox.  Follow the dialog to check for and get the latest Firefox release.
I show that version 48.0.2  is the latest release.

Having done that, this should get Firefox back to normal.  Some good tips here for Firefox and the rest of your browsers.
Use a good browser extension ( add on) ad blocker.  If your pc has no ad blocker add-on for your browser(s), I would suggest uBlock Origin.
For Mozilla Firefox, use the Mozilla page at this link
https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/ublock-origin/

For Google Chrome, see
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm

For Internet Explorer browser:
https://adblockplus.org/en/internet-explorer

For Opera browser, see
https://addons.opera.com/en-gb/extensions/details/ublock/

*ALSO this too*
To help totally block these types of  "popups" I would recommend to *only use Firefox browser* that also has the add-on for
*NoScript Suite Lite.*
and just only use that when surfing the web.
Tips and how to's for Noscript suite are on this page link
http://mybrowseraddon.com/noscript-lite.html

We have a free version Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) that protects against exploit attacks in your browsers and Java, and a paid version that also protects additional applications such as MS Office.
https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbae_current/

I would recommend you install the Anti-Exploit in free use mode.   ( that is, if you do not have it from before).

Further, Take deeper looks on the options and security settings of each web browser.
Make sure that the POPUP blocker is ON.
Set the option on for rejecting (decline) 3rd-party cookies.

For now, I would suggest that you drill thru and review the list of automated STARTUP drivers/programs that auto-start with each Windows start session.
Press Windows-key + R key for the RUN option.  Then type in
Taskmgr.exe
and tap Enter.  Wait for the GUI to fully populate for Task Manager.  Then click on the tab Startup.   Look over the whole list looking to see what can be turned off ( temporarily).
Keep and write down the list of what you do.
Lenovo and other hardware drivers are ok to keep on.  And same for antivirus and any other security app, as well as any network drivers.
Turn off *CCleaner*.
Turn off AV Spybot - Search and Destroy
Turn off iTunes Apple update.

Keep a list.  The whole intent is to trim down all auto starts down the bare bones essentials.  Then do a Windows RESTART.

The principles of this exercise is to find out if one the auto started apps is causing or leading-to the STOP code Windows crash.
A general guideline is on this Microsoft article  ( granted it mentions earlier versions of Windows, but it does cover Windows 10).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

The STOP code crash is the major issue in this case.

The one that is somewhat of a middling type ( meaning, somewhat lesser priority) is that "black screen with the flash cursor".
That is hard to guess as to what that is !   BUT, if that happens again, what you could try are
(a) press the space bar and see what happens
(b) press the Escape key & see
(c) move the mouse around and round in the hopes that the screen will refresh
(d) type in explorer.exe and tap Enter key & wait a while  ( have lots of patience) and see if the GUI for Windows Explorer comes on.
(e) press and hold Windows-flag-key on keyboard and then tap E key to see if Windows Explorer comes on

Will review and advise, thanks. 

Regarding the black screen, as a genera proposition the entire screen/computer is frozen except for the ability to move the cursor around. Even pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del is ineffective.

Are you satisfied I do not have a virus in some hidden partition?  If you believe I am not infected, I think these issues likely are tied to the Win 10 Anniversary update and I may just reinstall the drive image dated May 23, 2016.

The add-ins to Firefox look helpful.  This computer is my wife's though I too had the issue with the Firefox patch but it just disappeared for me.

As for the hardware, the system seems to support Win10.  I upgraded the system in mid-May and had no issues until August.  Lenovo produces drivers for Win10 for this system.  The processor is a mobile processor though in retrospect, an I5 or I7 would be a lot better. 

I seriously doubt that the Win1o build is at the root of these issues.  I truly suspect it is the microprocessor on the system board is not up to minimum requirements to run this operating system.

Look again at my citations  ( link at Microsoft). The processor has to be at minimum 1 Ghz.

and by the way, yes an Intel i5 would have been much better choice.

You have indicated that Malwarebytes reported no infection.  That is why I do not believe there is one.

You can run all sorts of tests but I doubt there is any "virus" or "malware".  Situation is more like either a unsteady installation but more likely the underpowered processor.

and by the way, I would not under-estimate the BSOD Stop code.  It is not from a malware. But fits in with having a processor that is only rated at 0.80GHz

Its not meeting the minimal required.

You are welcome.  I am glad to help.

Is this machine a tablet by any chance?  or is it a little notebook type?  Does the manufacturer offer it new with Windows 10 ?

What is the model number at Lenovo?  Do you have a link to their catalog page?

This is a Lenovo Yoga 3-11 2 in 1 ultraportable laptop, not a tablet.

The system is rated to be compatible with Win 10 -- https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht103535

Technical specs for the system can be located at - http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/yoga-laptop-series/yoga-3-11/#tab-tech_specs

The system came with Win 8.1 pre-installed and upgraded to Win 10 perfectly and operated with Win 10 form its initial avialability, I think in November, until just after the August upgrade.  All of the issues arose only after the Anniversary update.

First thing this morning I reinstalled a complete backup image from  May 23, 2016 (Win 10 pre-Anniversary) and the system (including Firefox) operates just fine.  I have set the Wifi to metered to slow down the possible auto upgrade in Win 10 Home.

Again, thanks.