mbamservice use too much memory

I use process explorer always. And now is my computer slower. And I know when a program use too much memory my computer goes slower.

I also use Windows 7 SP1 32bit. So I don't have so much RAM.

mbamserverice is right now using 1GB. Which makes my computer slower. How can I reset the RAM used by mbamservice?

You're not alone.  In fact just yesterday I posted my own similar thread about excess memory usage by MBAMSERVICE.EXE which I conjectured was a "storage leak" following daily scans, as it seemed to accumulate and get larger over time.

I'm using Win7 Pro x64 and 8GB, so it's not specific to your x86 version.  I use Aida64 as my hardware monitor and so can visually always see what my "memory utilization" is. Normal should be 44%-75%.  If I begin to run 80%-98% I know I'm in trouble, and the machine is slowing to a crawl and becoming unresponsive.

I use my machine as a 24/7 DVR (it's my HTPC running Windows Media Center) and don't really have an opportunity to reboot to resolve things.  Taking a clue from how I resolved a "storage leak" on my brother-in-law's machine where he'd installed iTunes (which has a widely known "storage leak" issue on Windows PC's), closing/taskkill the program/service periodically (like every hour through a scheduled task in the case of my brother-in-law's situation) will let Windows reabsorb the allocated storage and make it available again.

So I'm now doing the same thing on my own HTPC... every so often just right-click on MBAM icon (in notification area), select EXIT to close the MBAM program and service letting Windows disappear the icon and absorb its storage again.  I look at Aida64 and when "memory utilization" drops back down into the normal range I just re-launch MBAM again.

Until Malwarebytes fixes this known storage leak problem, I don't know what other solution we have available to us other than manually dealing with ourselves in this way.

12 minutes ago, olduser said:

Hi,

If you are using the PC as a 24/7 DVR, why do you need an antimalware? From where do you expect to get infected????

This is my "big boy" computer used for work (2 monitors), which I adapted back in 2010 to also serve as the nucleus of my whole-home HTPC replacement for individually rented TWC DVR's supporting HDTV's in four rooms. Even with TWC making whole-home solutions available, I wanted increased storage capacity (I now have 6TB for recording) and more tuners (I have a 4-tuner Ceton cablecard-enabled card for TWC-provided premium and basic content, and a 2-tuner Hauppauge card for OTA/ATSC roof antenna local networks).

So it's been running with Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for many many years, as sensible protection for any general purpose machine which include Internet access deserves.  I don't frequent questionable sites, and I don't game, and I don't do a lot of things which perhaps might expose me more to outside risks.  So perhaps my protection needs are far less than average environments.

But that has nothing to do with whether MBAMSERVICE.EXE has a storage leak or not, and whether if it does (as apparently is the case based on numerous other similar posts and reports on the Interweb) that Malwarebytes should be addressing the problem and fixing it.  That's really the point of posting this thread and talking about it... to be sure Malwarebytes is FULLY AWARE OF THE ISSUE.

15 hours ago, DSperber said:

You're not alone.  In fact just yesterday I posted my own similar thread about excess memory usage by MBAMSERVICE.EXE which I conjectured was a "storage leak" following daily scans, as it seemed to accumulate and get larger over time.

I'm using Win7 Pro x64 and 8GB, so it's not specific to your x86 version.  I use Aida64 as my hardware monitor and so can visually always see what my "memory utilization" is. Normal should be 44%-75%.  If I begin to run 80%-98% I know I'm in trouble, and the machine is slowing to a crawl and becoming unresponsive.

I use my machine as a 24/7 DVR (it's my HTPC running Windows Media Center) and don't really have an opportunity to reboot to resolve things.  Taking a clue from how I resolved a "storage leak" on my brother-in-law's machine where he'd installed iTunes (which has a widely known "storage leak" issue on Windows PC's), closing/taskkill the program/service periodically (like every hour through a scheduled task in the case of my brother-in-law's situation) will let Windows reabsorb the allocated storage and make it available again.

So I'm now doing the same thing on my own HTPC... every so often just right-click on MBAM icon (in notification area), select EXIT to close the MBAM program and service letting Windows disappear the icon and absorb its storage again.  I look at Aida64 and when "memory utilization" drops back down into the normal range I just re-launch MBAM again.

Until Malwarebytes fixes this known storage leak problem, I don't know what other solution we have available to us other than manually dealing with ourselves in this way.

Thanks. I closed MBAM and now did the mbamservice close too, so It doesn't use much memory anymore.

Edited by unknownguy

• Root Admin

@unknownguy

Well, there is obviously something going on with your systems then as I have 0% of CPU in use when not actively scanning or updating the database as you can see from the screenshots below. The memory is also in the 300MB range which is normal.

CPU USAGE

post-2065-0-30900200-1402473437.jpg

MEMORY USAGE

post-2065-0-02286700-1402473542.jpg

DISK USAGE

post-2065-0-01340900-1402473564.jpg

NETWORK USAGE

post-2065-0-45712900-1402473584.jpg

I would highly recommend following the advice below which may correct the issue for you, or if not then post back the requested logs so that we can better assist you.

• Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue then please read the following and post back the requested logs. - Diagnostic Logs

Thank You

11 minutes ago, KarenJH said:

Mbamservice takes up 191.1 mb plus 28.6 mb memory. That is excessive.

It has been pointed out in this thread that 300mb memory is normal. My usage is in the same range.

On 9/2/2016 at 0:46 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

The memory is also in the 300MB range which is normal.

• Root Admin

I'm sorry @olduser but as said many times, we are not an antivirus product. Comparing one security product to another is like comparing apples and oranges, they're not the same and how they operate are not the same or even close.  If you're not happy with the product please contact the Helpdesk and they can assist you obtaining a refund on the product.

Thank you

On undefined at 7:46 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

@unknownguy

Well, there is obviously something going on with your systems then as I have 0% of CPU in use when not actively scanning or updating the database as you can see from the screenshots below. The memory is also in the 300MB range which is normal.

CPU USAGE

post-2065-0-30900200-1402473437.jpg

MEMORY USAGE

post-2065-0-02286700-1402473542.jpg

DISK USAGE

post-2065-0-01340900-1402473564.jpg

NETWORK USAGE

post-2065-0-45712900-1402473584.jpg

I would highly recommend following the advice below which may correct the issue for you, or if not then post back the requested logs so that we can better assist you.

• Please uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest version. MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  • If that does not correct the issue then please read the following and post back the requested logs. - Diagnostic Logs

Thank You

I removed mbam, I installed it. And I don't have around 300MB. I have 668MB

H9E87bLh21.png

• 2 weeks later...
On undefined at 8:12 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

Because it's actively working. See the 6.79% CPU usage. That indicates it's working on something.

If you like we can scan your system for possible infection or other issues.

Now it's not working anymore. It takes so much RAM right now.

Q9U93afn5a.png

• Root Admin

Hello @unknownguy

As I previously wrote to you before which you appear not to have taken us up on the offer, we can run some scans and see if we can find what's causing the issue for you, but without scans and possible fixes there isn't much we can do. You'll need to help us to help you.

We can do it here on the forum or you can contact our Help desk and work with them if you like.

Thank you

17 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Hello @unknownguy

As I previously wrote to you before which you appear not to have taken us up on the offer, we can run some scans and see if we can find what's causing the issue for you, but without scans and possible fixes there isn't much we can do. You'll need to help us to help you.

We can do it here on the forum or you can contact our Help desk and work with them if you like.

Thank you

Sure. I can make scans. But what should I scan with and where should I post them?

Edited by unknownguy

3 hours ago, unknownguy said:

Btw. Does this scan which program I have used and which programs I have?

I don't want other unknown people look at my programs. Because that will outing me.

Yes it will. So for further help please contact the help desk for private assistance. They will advise on the scans they need.

Edited by Porthos