Help me optimise me security setup on my gaming PC

overhaze

The free antivirus scene is a mess right now. AVG is getting high scores from the testing labs but Avast bought it so who knows how long it will continue to exist. Avira is great but suffers false positives (it currently thinks the unofficial Fallout 2 patch is malicious) and everything has popups. Also you if you are on Windows 10  anniversary (which I am) Windows Defender is on all the time unless you set up a group policy.

So here is where I stand. My daily driver is also my gaming pc. I'm looking to get the best protection I can without any major impact on gaming performance and without annoying popups. Also after having to buy Hitman Pro to clean up something on my sisters laptop I have a year of Hitmanpro Alert  at my disposal. What are my best options here?

Windows Defender+Hitmanpro Alert?

Avira+Windows Defender+Hitmanpro Alert?

Some other combinations of programs? Some advice here would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

The answer on these forums stays the same. Just like your last post.

You ask a common question with no "right" or "best" answer.

Also, see here: http://www.bleepingc...y-suite-for-me/

Each member will have his/her opinions, and each AV has its share of fans and detractors.
As this board is owned and operated by Malwarebytes corporation, it's a general forum practice not to endorse or denigrate any particular AV.

MBAM PREMIUM and MBAE PREMIUM are a fine place to start.  And Anti-Ransomware (MBARW-beta) will eventually be rolled into MBAM.
But you will still need a robust AV.
As far as the AV, there is no one "best" option to suit every computer, user and budget.
There are many fine options, all of which should be fine alongside MBAM and MBAE.

(FWIW Kaspersky has a "gaming" mode.)

Here are a few: List of well-known antivirus products
There are many other computer fora with in-depth, passionate discussions of the topic, and many older threads here at this forum, too.

Having said that, no one security program can protect 100% of users from 100% of malware 100% of the time.
The most important security component is the computer part between the chair and keyboard. ;)

Here are a few links with helpful information:

The complexity of finding, preventing, and cleanup from malware
So how did I get infected in the first place?
How did I get infected?
Answers to common security questions - Best Practices
List of well known antivirus products

Six tips to help you stay safer online

Also: regarding the "Free" AVs, you might find this post from a MS MVP interesting or helpful: http://www.bleepingc...s/#entry3781476

Cheers,

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, overhaze said:

Avira+Windows Defender+Hitmanpro Alert?

Just so you know, only Avira will be enabled since Windows Defender is disabled whenever a third-party Antivirus is installed on the system, though it offers you the option to do periodic scans (if needed). But Avira will remain the only real-time Antivirus on your system.

9 minutes ago, Aura said:

Just so you know, only Avira will be enabled since Windows Defender is disabled whenever a third-party Antivirus is installed on the system, though it offers you the option to do periodic scans (if needed). But Avira will remain the only real-time Antivirus on your system.

And that is how it should be, @overhaze.

It's not good to have to two real-time antivirus applications.  That can lead to all sorts of problems.
So can leftovers/remnants/drivers from old AVs that are only partially uninstalled.

If you want to use WD's new background periodic scans with your AV, that's fine. (Some AVs will be finicky about this.)

But more is not always better.

A layered approach with 1 real-time AV (anti-virus) + 1 real-time AM (anti-malware) + 1 real-time AE (anti-exploit) is one thing.
Doubling up on programs with the same/overlapping tasks is another.

Cheers,