My computer totally crashed, no interface, no home screen

mssjerry

My computer TOTALLY crashed. I have NO interface whatsoever, no home screen, and I can't save anything. All I have is a browser, but I have to pull each program up after shutting down or returning to such program. I had Malware-antimalware bytes, StopZilla, and all the security I thought I needed, yet it crashed anyway. I cannot afford a pro to fix my computer. Even all my backup was deleted. I have 20 years of photos, and important info in there that I may never see again. Any suggestions?

I had Malware-antimalware bytes, StopZilla, and all the security I thought I needed, yet it crashed anyway.

Security programs does not protect against hardware malfunction .... IF that is what happend

Even all my backup was deleted. I have 20 years of photos, and important info in there that I may never see again.

Use a external backup drive or online storage

Try to start your PC in Safe Mode.  Stopzilla automatically creates restore points.  Search for restore points.  There are probably a half dozen points available. Chose one that was created before your PC crashed. It will take a few minutes for it to restore.   Search for how to start your PC in Safe Mode on the internet if you do not know how.  I have used restore a number of times to bail myself out.

Hello and :welcome:, @mssjerry:

As @pondus suggested, this could be some sort of hardware failure, rather than malware.

It would help to know if you have tried booting into Windows Safe Mode.

We do not know your version of Windows, so here are some tutorials for that -- select the one that applies to your version of Windows:

Safe Mode - Vista

Safe Mode - Windows 7

Safe Mode - Windows 8/8.1

Safe Mode - Windows 10

Thank you,

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You have not really provided to much info on what has happened to your computer, nor answered the questions folks have asked you, if you have tried to do what they asked you.

What version of Windows are you running?

Can you hit Ctrl Alt Del, and if so can you tell it to start Task Manager?

If you are able to get to Task Manager, then go to Applications Tab -> New Task... -> Open: and type explorer.exe and hit OK.

Does that bring up your desktop?