Can't start Malwarebytes even with Chameleon

I can't open , nor download updates to malwarebytes, even in safe computer mode. I have have tried Chameleon with its different test buttons, it goes to the black cmd screen, tries to open MWB but it just gives the hourglass. This is a Win 10 machine. Tried all the typical fixes and downloaded the MWB antirootkit app.  Still no MWB opening.

What do I do next?

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

• Staff

Hello and welcome to Malwarebytes forum

From the log:

safeboot: {c9e877f3-b977-11e5-9f88-9c23870f71b0} => The system is configured to boot to Safe Mode <===== ATTENTION

Why is the machine set to boot to safe mode?

Was this done via msconfig?

If so, please reset this to boot the machine normally.

Please re-run the FRST diagnostic tool in normal mode and attach the new logs (be sure to place a checkmark beside Addition.txt)

In addition, please run this:

Please download our diagnostic tool mbam-check.exe to your desktop from this link.

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_check

Double-click it to run it. The log which opens will be saved to your desktop as CheckResults.txt.

Please attach this log to your next reply.

• Staff

Please do the following:

Download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Downloads folder, where FRST64.exe is saved.

Fixlist.txt

NOTE. It’s important that both files, FRST64.exe and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

Run the FRST64.exe program and press the Fix button just once and wait.
The tool will make a log in the same folder as where the FRST program is saved. (Fixlog.txt).
Please attach it to your reply.

(note: sometimes the program will need to reboot – please allow it to do so)

NEXT

Please download AdwCleaner and save it to your desktop.
adwCleaner

ATTENTION: After you click the Download Now button, another page will open – DO NOT CLICK any additional ‘download now’ buttons as they are sponsored advertisements. Please wait and look toward the top or bottom of your browser for the option to Run or Save. Click Save to save the file.

Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click the “Options” menu heading on the menu bar and uncheck “Reset Winsock Settings”
Click on the Scan button.
After the scan has finished… click on the Cleaning button.
Press OK when asked to close all programs and follow the onscreen prompts.
Press OK again to allow AdwCleaner to restart the computer and complete the removal process.
After rebooting, a log file report (AdwCleaner[C1].txt) will open automatically.
Attach that log file to your next reply.
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[Cn].txt (‘n’ is the number of clean actions performed).

Completed all the steps including the adwCleaner and followed to the letter. It said it cleaned 8 items identified as threats. Tried to open MWB but to no avail. It shows on the taskbar that it is running but can't open the window to perform scans, update database, etc. Went into task mamnger to try to shut it down but cannot do it- it says access is denied in a separate window. I also tried Test 1 of Chameleon and the cmd window opens and it says it is updating mbam but remains there for more than 30 minutes. What is the next step?

I appreciate all the work you guys have been doing to try to help me.

AdwCleaner[C0].txt

• Staff

We are going to perform a clean install, please follow these steps:

Please be sure to have your license information available if you have one, before beginning this process.

Step 1: Download and run the clean-up tool and allow a reboot when prompted.

Mbam-Clean

Step 2: Install Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware by following the link below. Install as an Administrator.

Malwarebytes Antimalware

Save the file and double-click it to begin the installation

Step 3: Once installed, activate the software with your license information:

Toggle the links I also have an ID or I do not have an ID, only a key… to get to the correct activation window for your type of license.

Let me know if that solves the issue.

• Staff

Please re-run the FRST diagnostic tool > place a checkmark beside Addition.txt before running the scan so I get another of those logs too

Attach the new FRST.txt and Addition.txt

a third party program  appears to be interfering, we just need to figure out what

• Staff

I notice this program is installed

(IObit) C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\LiveUpdate\LiveUpdate.exe

I have another customer who had the same issue and once that was uninstalled Malwarebytes installed and ran fine, so there is a conflict somewhere (working on this presently)

As a trouble shooting step, please uninstall it, if it makes a difference great, if not also uninstall PC Tools Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus completely (enable Windows Defender while we troubleshoot this)

As well as this one  "Browser Defender "

so we can eliminate that as the cause as well.

If you still can't install and run the program, visit the nvidia website and update all your nvidia drivers. that sounds strange, but I've run into that before where outdated nvidia drivers stopped the program from running.

Please let me know how it goes

• 2 months later...

The good news: After I un-installed LiveUpdate, Chameleon was able to be tried.

The bad news: However, I was stuck on "updating mbam.exe." Went to Chameleon no. 2 and it said "

Failed to kill MBAM.exe instance!
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not running - unable to start the scan.

I continued to try all the Chameleon nos and got the same result.

Mbam.exe is running under "services" in task manager and when i try to end it, it says"unable to terminate process" - "The operation could not be completed" "access is denied."

I did install the latest nvidia video driver and no change. Any other suggestions? It's becoming a bit frustrating. Do i have malware on my system that is keeping me running this program?