MBAE Protection is not started.

KeZa

I'm also on XP Pro SP3 and get MAE not working. I have tried to uninstall and install, all my other protection prog. off and so on but I still get it not to work. The error that I'm getting is:

The Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit service failed to start due to the following error:
A device attached to the system is not working.

EventID: 7000

Service Control Manager

And when I go to try to start the service manual I get:

The Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Service service was started on Local Computer, and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have nothing to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service.

• Root Admin

I don't think the computer is infected, but you do have a lot of bits and pieces of all sorts of security software. Not sure that EMET runs well with MBAE or not. There are some users though that do claim they're able to run both together.

Let me see if I can get one of the MBAE support team members to take a look and see what they can find.

No my computer is definitely not affected! I have a lot time spending to make this Xp safe and I searched for the best security possible on a Pentium 4 PC 3.4Mhz. So Kasper and that High CPU demanding progs I cannot use. I still waiting for W10 to get his stuff together but that OS is going the wrong direction and so I cannot buy a new pc at the moment so I'm waiting for a good OS with no problems with privacy settings that stay how I put them, other settings that stay active after updates, no programs get deleted, ect... because that makes my head spin. So Now I need a good and extra program for exploits and ransom ware. I have the free bitdefender but I'm waiting to test MBAR when it is out of beta. EMET is good program if you know what your doing. I have even EMET on svchost.exe but you need tot disable NullPage & StackPivot and it runs perfect but I find that the mitigations of EMET does not work so well with Avant Browser with the FF engine so I want to get a prog like MBAE on the browsers and maybe if I find it good I will delete EMET and do everything with MBAE but I must test it here for I make that decision.

Edited by KeZa

• Root Admin

Well, you seem reasonably knowledgeable about your computer. If you don't have the time or money to invest in Windows 10, you might want to consider running Linux. No computer is 100% immune to infections, but you can find a flavor of Linux that has much fewer resource needs than Windows does and is much harder to infect.

I've asked another support member to take a look here and see if he can provide more information.

Please read the following and provide the zipped log files in the request.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/144403-readme-first-posts-here-need-to-include-mbae-logs/

Thanks

favicon-128.png

Hi Ron,

Yes I know a little bit of it all but to have a good OS where all the progs run fine without any problems.... that we will not find on Linux, Apple or Windows. That OS and those programs, without any errors in it, has yet to be invented. I have got them all and Linux is fine but it's to bare for my taste. And always problems to find the drivers for the damned  thing. Linux is like XP but stable and so is the security better but I find more and more info that linux is not so safe as most people think. They have found again an error which can be exploited. Not so much as with Windows & Apple but the exploits are there but the most people now are running W7,8 or the crap 10 or Apple. These two brands make the most of it but if Linux was on top then it was also not so safe. But I'm hoping that Xp is now also a little bit safer because it's also not much used these days and if I was a hacker then I go for the big money and that is not to find on Xp users :)   But Xp becomes less and less supported by the other companies out there, so it will not last so long anymore. I hope to keep it for another two years and I hope that then a good W10 or something else comes up, so I can buy a new pc and tune the OS and here we go for I hope +10years because when I need to change, I'm busy for a couple of months so I need to be sure that it's worth it. But for now it's all good and in the 14 years no big problems that I not have fixed and I learned  a lot doing it. Anyhow I have made the zipfile and I hope that you guys can find out what the problem is here because I want it on my pc for testing and hopefully to keep it. EMET is fine but on Xp it's not so good as on W7 and higher because of the more options that they support. I have also tested HPA but I found that it's not so good as they say that it is.

MBAE XP error.zip

Edited by KeZa

• Staff

Hello KeZa,

EMET shouldn't be causing this issue as the service is not installing correctly. However, I do want to mention that you won't be able to test anti-exploit very easily with EMET installed. You will get a lot of false alerts due to emet and anti-exploits protection conflicting. So once we get anti-exploit fixed, you may have to remove EMET if you want to properly test the product. 

As for the issue, I want to have you run the install command in command line to see if this will install for you. Let me know if you do not understand any of my instructions.

1. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.

2. Right-click Command prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

3. If the User Account Control dialog box appears, confirm that the action it displays is what you want, and then click Continue.

4. Once it launches, put in this command: cd C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

5. That should change it to that directory. Once you do that run the command: mbae-svc /install

Take a screenshot of the output it gives you there so I can see what it tells you. 

But I do not understand this error:

The Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit service failed to start due to the following error:

A device attached to the system is not working.

What device and why need MBAE it?  Needs MBAE a certain Windows Service or such to operate? Maybe is that the problem because I have must services down accept the necessary ones or is here a problem with a device in Device Manager? 

• Staff

Hello KeZa,

Based on the screenshot that was sent, it doesn't look like CMD was right clicked on and ran as admin as mentioned in this step:

" Right-click Command prompt, and then click Run as administrator. "

It should be running the command line window from  C:\Windows instead. Can you try that again and see if it gives the same message? I am trying to eliminate a possible authentication issue as well. 

As for the device attached to the sytem is not working, that is generic messaging from the event ID you posted before. To get more information from this, I would need to see the eventveiwer log that relates to that message. To do this:

1. On the keyboard, press the Windows key + R  to open the Run menu.

2. In this menu, type in eventvwr. This will open up the Event viewer.

3. From here, right click on the application object and click on export list.... Save that log to a place you can easily attach it here.

4. Do the same for the System events as well and send them to me. 

Edited by Rsullinger

Hi Ron,

You now that this the old but still good XP :) and I'm the administrator? What I want to say is that  when I  'right-click Command prompt' I do not get the option ' Run as administrator'. I must click on 'run as' and then I get the picture that I have paste here beneath and when I click on the option below 'This user' I can chosse my name 'KeZa' or 'APNS certificate'. That's it but in the good-old Xp am I the Admin when I'm the Admin and there is no extra ticking like in W7-10. But I will try the C:\Windows forthwith and let you know.

For that device I will give you the logs but there are errors in it where I'm aware of and I have checked them all and it seems no problems with these minor issues here but maybe there is one that is a problem for MBAE? I do not know but for the OS here is all good.

run as.jpg

app list.txt

system list.txt

• Staff

Hello KeZa,

I do remember this is XP, but I may have forgotten how how cmd launches with xp. But you are correct, the logs you collected are just errors I would see normally that would not really explain the issue. From the logs you sent prior as well, I see that there is potentially many different drivers and services loaded at any given time. As a test I want to have you try to disable all the services and startup items that you have set to start to see if it allows the program to load. Press the windows key + R like before and type in msconfig and hit enter. In there, go to the startup entries and check the box for hide all Microsoft services. Once you do that, uncheck all but the  Malwarebytes anti-exploit service. Then go to the startup and disable anything there as well.

Now I know security is a concern for you as well, so if you want to disconnect from the internet as well while doing this test that will be ok. Mainly just want to have you reboot after you do this, test to see if you can launch the executable for anti-exploit and see if it works. 

Edited by Rsullinger
a word

Hi Ron, I have tried it. Disabled everything except MBAE, start up and the same problem stays. I have tried to reinstall it, the fix " Right-click Command prompt, and then click Run as administrator. " .... but to no avail. So it is not a problem with another program or so but what I'm not getting is why the he** am I the only one with this problem on Xp sp3? That cannot be if it is Xp related because there are many others that installed it on Xp and with no problems or are there more like me? If so then it is a problem with MBAE on Xp, and is not then I do not know

• Staff

Hello KeZa,

As far as I am aware it is not because it is an XP machine. All of the testing and information I have been giving you has been from me testing on my xp sp3 machine that I am using. It even works on a 64 bit version of it which is not something our anti-malware has on it. I am reaching out to a member of our team to look into this further based on the logs you have provided. 

Ok keep me updated. I have searched for 'malwarebytes anti exploit A device attached to the system is not working' and then I get the links like:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-device-attached-to-the-system-is-notfunctioning.183110/

same problem here and that was on W7 and the problem was that Flash Player was out of Date! and there are more like this.

Needs MBAE java to run because java I do not have?

• Staff

Hi KeZa, I see you have a lot of security programs and startup optimizers. It could very well be that one of your other programs is preventing MBAE from installing to run as a startup/boot program.

Try closing and disabling all your other security/optimizer/startup managers and then re-installing MBAE.

I have done that already! See the help from Ron. I have unchecked everything I have in msconfig except the services of the OS and same result. It is not a problem with another program but when I see a link like http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-device-attached-to-the-system-is-notfunctioning.183110/ with the same problem but then under W7 and the culprit was an older version of flash and after the update MBAE installs fine after that, then I'm thinking what for progs need MBAE to run? How I see I miss something that MBAE needs but I do not have and that's why I get this error I think.